Clunk in drivetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Camaro with the V6. I've had this for a while but lately it's getting worse. When I put the car in reverse from drive or park I get a solid clunk noise. Now it has progressively gotten worse to the point where it clunks slightly on 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts and a solid single clunk when downshifting from 2-1. I was under there a while ago and I didn't see anything terribly loose. All I noticed was a little slop in the slip yoke and u-joint on the trans. Would that be enough to make that noise? Thanks.

How many miles? Just about has to be Ujoint, or slop in ringgear/pinon assy. Normally that much slop you will hear whining either letting off, coasting or under acceleration.

If you're not fully confident in inspecting servicing Ujoints, take it to someone who is.

Bob

It has 81,000 miles. I just replaced the torque arm mount to see if that would help. While I was down there I looked and the transmission mount and it was fine. The u-joint has a slight bit of play, maybe that's what I'm hearing.

Usually I've gotten a vibration with a bad u-joint ..or you could hear it at really slow speed (assuming you're not rumpa-rumpa on the exhaust).

Easy to check the motor mounts. Just open the hood and put it in drive ..then put it in reverse.

$10 on the u-joint.
If it's the front u-joint and it breaks, you could set a pole vaulting record.
popcorn.gif

I'm pretty sure he's RWD in the Camaro. I think the last single u-joint that I saw on a FWD car was my Fiesta ..but I basically agree. Seize a double cardon/CV joint in a FWD at speed and you've got some excitement.

Another possability would be worn spider gears in the diffarental, and they would not whine either in my experience. Bad U-joints quite frequently make "ticking" noises while driving slowly that would be a give-away clue. Good luck Sir.
Rickey

Quote:

$10 on the u-joint.
popcorn.gif

Mythbusters tried to do that. It didn't work, but it was fun watching them try. That old beater car they had (forget what it was, but it was American made) was near impossible to kill. They were slamming the transmission into reverse at 50MPH to get the u joint to break.
crushedcar.gif

As others have said, check the motor and tranny mounts and replace the u-joints first. Cheap, easy, and the most common fix for that symptom.

Thanks guys...I'll check the motor mounts this weekend and then have the u-joints looked at. Hopefully it's not the rear, I doubt it, but you never know.

Lots of good ideas here. U-joints would be my first check. On some of the older GMs there is a differental mounting bushing (also called snubber bushing) that is well known for causing clunks. Not sure if the newer cars are still set up this way. Just a thought....

Really
offtopic.gif
but something for people to file away when troubleshooting.

I had what I thought was a dud engine mount (shuddering snatchy clutch with jerky take-off), that evolved into a clunk on take-off, and some nasty groaning noises.

Turned out to be drum brake adjustment, coupled with dusty brakes.

Quote:

$10 on the u-joint.
popcorn.gif

Memories!!!!!!!!!

Last day of high school!!!!!!!!!! We were seniors and freedom (of a sort) was drawing VERY near!!!!!!!

Three of us standing out in front of the school.....shooting the breeze. A lovely day!!!! In many ways!!!!!!

Stan was cruising slowly past in his, I believe it was a 1968 model, awesome 2-door black Impala with the BIG block 427 and a 4-speed.

Stan took good care of that critter. Very seldom raced out on the country roads.

We shouted out for him to "GET IT ON!!!!!!" and.... likely due to it being the last day of school for all of us.... he stomped down on the go-fast pedal.

That engine ROARED!!!!!! His traction was good and that car leaped forward and, within a couple seconds.... Stan and his car were aloft... at a dead stop and looking down at the pavement below.

His driveshaft broke towards the front and dug into the pavement. Rear of the Imapala looked to be 6 feet off the ground.

As we stared the car, after a few seconds motionless with the rear up in the sky, slowly, then faster, headed towards earth.

Plop. Bounce bounce. Thud.

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our voices shouted as one.

Running over we inspected the stunned Stan. He was young, tough and flexible; he was okay. We next peeked at the hole in the pavement.

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driveshaft didn't look to hot and we all wondered how well the rearend held up.

Stan was a farmer's kid so had equipment there to haul the car away quickly.

I was gone in a couple days so didn't learn the details but yah' know he had it up and running again.

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little slop in a U joint is huge. They are at zero play when good.
But motor or tranny mounts may be weak or puked, as well.
Then comes the differential....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back