Thumping/clunking from rear end area what could it be?

I'd take the freebie CVT and roll with it for now as well.

Owning a 2019 Pathfinder myself, I follow these vehicles quite a bit. 2013-2015 seem to be the most problematic with the CVT. By 2017, they are pretty well sorted out for the R52 platform.

There's owners over at a pathfinder board I frequent, that are putting new engines in their 2017+ models. Just the engine is $13k. This is in regards to the more trouble prone VQ35DD, not the DE that the 2013-2016 have.

The key to longevity for these is over maintaining them. What I mean by that is taking Nissan's recommended service intervals and go half as long for oil/fluid/lubes.

I'd take the freebie CVT and roll with it for now as well.

Owning a 2019 Pathfinder myself, I follow these vehicles quite a bit. 2013-2015 seem to be the most problematic with the CVT. By 2017, they are pretty well sorted out for the R52 platform.

There's owners over at a pathfinder board I frequent, that are putting new engines in their 2017+ models. Just the engine is $13k. This is in regards to the more trouble prone VQ35DD, not the DE that the 2013-2016 have.

The key to longevity for these is over maintaining them. What I mean by that is taking Nissan's recommended service intervals and go half as long for oil/fluid/lubes.
The current CVT is already #2, it was replaced after the previous owners traded it in at 87K when it failed. I got the fluid serviced super early at 110K. And it failed at 114K.

I do a CVT drain/fill at least once a year or every 12k miles on my 2019. I've used aftermarket fluid since my 5/60 warranty expired. I've done 3 T-case drain fills. Currently at 100k miles.

They should have just changed the CVT back in July when it had a P17F0 like I told them to...

Got the call today, it scanned in as a P17F4, Protective is fully covering it, new CVT has been ordered and it should be done sometime this week. Woohoo!

I've now completed the drivetrain lol

They should have just changed the CVT back in July when it had a P17F0 like I told them to...

Got the call today, it scanned in as a P17F4, Protective is fully covering it, new CVT has been ordered and it should be done sometime this week. Woohoo!

I've now completed the drivetrain lol
Now if this doesn't fix the problem.. we here at BITOG are going to have an intervention for you.. discussing replacing the vehicle.. lol :LOL:

Sounds like I may be getting Big Bertha back today. The new transmission showed up Wednesday and the original had already been removed on Tuesday. For now, time to do some black Friday shopping in their loaner car lol

Now if this doesn't fix the problem.. we here at BITOG are going to have an intervention for you.. discussing replacing the vehicle.. lol :LOL:
The definition of insanity is: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

The thing is, this could apply to replacing the major components repeatedly, or to the people giving the same advice over and over ;)

I guess we're all insane

Got it back yesterday, it was finished Monday but due to my work schedule I couldn't get it until Thursday. New CVT is in, it drives like a dream, however this will also be the last time I ever visit this dealership... won't let them touch my lawnmower after this!

Apparently the battery had to be disconnected at some point during the service. When I got it home, I noticed the red plastic cover for my positive terminal was laying on the passenger floor. I opened the hood and noticed that instead of taking 20 seconds to unbolt the lug for my amplifier wire from the positive terminal, they instead cut the wire and spliced it back together with electrical tape!!!

406399392_1067458828038080_5839606204553661773_n.jpg

(pardon the dirty engine bay, I work at a paper mill, under-hood cleaning is wasted effort)

I went back to the dealership and luckily they made it right, the service manager made the tech cut out their crappy splice, get a proper 4-gauge lug, crimped, soldered AND heat shrunk it back together. But I am still fuming because of the fact they did this without saying a word to me about it, plus, their wire cutting and electrical taping hack job not only was a fire waiting to happen, but it certainly took more time than just unbolting the lug...

Got it back yesterday, it was finished Monday but due to my work schedule I couldn't get it until Thursday. New CVT is in, it drives like a dream, however this will also be the last time I ever visit this dealership... won't let them touch my lawnmower after this!

Apparently the battery had to be disconnected at some point during the service. When I got it home, I noticed the red plastic cover for my positive terminal was laying on the passenger floor. I opened the hood and noticed that instead of taking 20 seconds to unbolt the lug for my amplifier wire from the positive terminal, they instead cut the wire and spliced it back together with electrical tape!!!

View attachment 191033
(pardon the dirty engine bay, I work at a paper mill, under-hood cleaning is wasted effort)

I went back to the dealership and luckily they made it right, the service manager made the tech cut out their crappy splice, get a proper 4-gauge lug, crimped, soldered AND heat shrunk it back together. But I am still fuming because of the fact they did this without saying a word to me about it, plus, their wire cutting and electrical taping hack job not only was a fire waiting to happen, but it certainly took more time than just unbolting the lug...
This can be named under the old phrase "Insult to Injury"! Bad enough the CVT dies, but then let's hack up the rest of the vehicle while we're at it. Glad you got it fixed but dang.. kick ya in the rear on the way out!

Glad it's working well now.. whew..

You’re a better man than me, I’d have made them replace the harness…
He's braver than me. I wouldn't trust them to fix it right if they did that in the first place. I'd just fix it myself as I would be unwilling to go back.

I'd probably also send detailed pics to the service mgr and would try to leave an online review someplace. I believe incompetence should be well-documented but you don't need to give incompetent people a chance to "fix" their incompetence with what is likely further incompetence.

That said, I'm not claiming ANYONE is wrong here for any choice they would make in handling the situation.

Finally, I understand aftermarket stuff is a headache for techs, but they should either:
1)refuse to touch it and inform the customer he or she must remove the aftermarket stuff first, or
2)inform the customer there will be an additional charge that will not be covered under warranty for dealing with aftermarket stuff

Either way just cutting someone's personal property is unacceptable

He's braver than me. I wouldn't trust them to fix it right if they did that in the first place. I'd just fix it myself as I would be unwilling to go back.

I'd probably also send detailed pics to the service mgr and would try to leave an online review someplace. I believe incompetence should be well-documented but you don't need to give incompetent people a chance to "fix" their incompetence with what is likely further incompetence.

That said, I'm not claiming ANYONE is wrong here for any choice they would make in handling the situation.

Finally, I understand aftermarket stuff is a headache for techs, but they should either:
1)refuse to touch it and inform the customer he or she must remove the aftermarket stuff first, or
2)inform the customer there will be an additional charge that will not be covered under warranty for dealing with aftermarket stuff

Either way just cutting someone's personal property is unacceptable
I showed the service manager and I also reached out to Nissan Consumer Affairs and they opened a case about it. I left reviews with the picture on all local FB review and buy/sell pages as well as Google.

Got about 1,000 miles on the new CVT now and it's still running smooth as butter. At the beginning I was babying it but the other day I drove like your stereotypical Altima owner and did a couple hard pulls at WOT on some of the long country backroads out here and it didn't skip a beat! Been monitoring the temps on CVTz50 and it's been staying in an acceptable range.

Changed the oil in the T case and rear diff yesterday, no surprise glitter or anything alarming.

Think I'm gonna be alright for awhile.

The dealer finally responded to my review and of course, denied my battery cable not being messed up before it came in.
422934917_1100158478101448_3142491286544279840_n.jpg

However get a load of this -
Since getting it back from the CVT change I've had a clunk from the left front if I drive over any bump, and a really bad vibration if I am parked on an incline and the engine is idling. I didn't think much of it at first but I finally investigated myself and found that these crackheads left a transmission mount LOOSE and two of my front subframe bolts were also loose!!!

The dealer finally responded to my review and of course, denied my battery cable not being messed up before it came in.
View attachment 200547

However get a load of this -
Since getting it back from the CVT change I've had a clunk from the left front if I drive over any bump, and a really bad vibration if I am parked on an incline and the engine is idling. I didn't think much of it at first but I finally investigated myself and found that these crackheads left a transmission mount LOOSE and two of my front subframe bolts were also loose!!!
glad you found it!! At least you caught it early before it could really screw all that work up!! Or was that the convenient way to make sure they get future work!!?? Not from you!! Rightfully so, to never go back there.

and that response from the shop is not only sad but a joke too.

glad you found it!! At least you caught it early before it could really screw all that work up!! Or was that the convenient way to make sure they get future work!!?? Not from you!! Rightfully so, to never go back there.

and that response from the shop is not only sad but a joke too.
All the grammatical errors crack me up, I'm pretty sure whoever wrote this was drunk and/or high.

All the grammatical errors crack me up, I'm pretty sure whoever wrote this was drunk and/or high.
ya I had to re-read that again.. I see what you're saying, very odd in how the flow of that comment is.. scary the weird people out there in the so-called "Service industry".. guess if they have a pulse they get a job?! I'm just glad your trans/driveline is all fixed now! it's the DIY that this site really promotes within it's membership that is priceless, with weird/odd people out there it's a blessing we can do a lot of our own maintenance! I feel sorry for people who are at the mercy of those shops that don't have a clue, yeah I know we've said that a lot before but it really holds true!

Back