Thumping/clunking from rear end area what could it be?

My 2014 Pathfinder suddenly developed this issue today. It wasn't gradual leading up to now it is just now happening as of this morning.

I have a thumping that feels like it's coming from somewhere under the back seats. I had my dad ride in the back seat while I drove around the block to confirm. If I let off the gas it changes to a very loud clunking noise from the same region.

I jacked up all 4 corners earlier, spun the wheels and confirmed there's nothing stuck in any of the tires. All the CV shafts look good, no bent tie rods or control arm issues, and there isn't any excessive play in the driveshaft or U joints. Nothing obvious is jumping out as the issue.

Doubt it's the electronic coupler either because auto-AWD still works and 4WD still works.

What should I look at next?

Thanks!

You are going to need to get your vehicle off of the ground, put it in drive and observe what’s going on. It sounds like a universal joint, pinion gear, or drive shaft problem.

Quick check is to see if the rear hatch is the cause.
Take some cardboard cut to size on the bottom edge of the hatch, close the hatch on it and see if the clunking goes away on a test drive.

FWIW I would pop the diff cover off and take a look. Our 2005 Jeep GC had a similar sound a few years back. It turns out the spider gears were worn. I bought some replacement gears and shims, pulled the axles and R&R'ed the spiders. Now it runs quiet again.

Just my $0.02

Old solid rear axle pathfinders had trailing arms that would wear causing clunking and the rear axle would shimmy going between accell/decell

My guess would be the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft...see pic your driveshaft below - its the center part. Go back and see if you can push the driveshaft up and down while looking at that center bearing - you may even see the rubber torn

Muffler hangers are all good, jack and lug wrench are all secure, rear hatch is fine, carrier bearing rubber is dry rotted but doesn't look too bad otherwise...

between my dad's work schedule and mine we both opted to just pay and make it a shop's problem. Luckily I make enough that having a shop do the work isn't an issue. And mom is out of town so I have her car as a loaner until mine is fixed ... LOL

Back