Thumping/clunking from rear end area what could it be?

Any kind of warranty on the replacement CVT since it's only a little over two years old? May want to contact Nissan or the dealer that did the repair.

Any kind of warranty on the replacement CVT since it's only a little over two years old? May want to contact Nissan or the dealer that did the repair.
I believe it is under warranty I'm going to be calling them when they open in an hour and find out. If so then it's getting towed from the shop it's at now to there.

Sounds like it is under warranty still, the Nissan dealership is now in contact with the shop it is at currently so I am now in a 3-way game of phone-tag getting this figured out.

Sounds like it is under warranty still, the Nissan dealership is now in contact with the shop it is at currently so I am now in a 3-way game of phone-tag getting this figured out.
Not sure if the Nissan CVT parts warranty extends to future owners; it might be limited to the original purchaser only?

I was getting a weird one in my 350SD a few months ago. It turned out to be a sagging exhaust system rubber mount and a slightly misaligned hanger. Got some rubber back in the gap and it has been silent since.

So shake the exhaust system hard and in various directions.

I was getting a weird one in my 350SD a few months ago. It turned out to be a sagging exhaust system rubber mount and a slightly misaligned hanger. Got some rubber back in the gap and it has been silent since.

So shake the exhaust system hard and in various directions.
It's got jutter codes. The CVT is done for.

Sounds like when they did the CVT service they underfilled it. To quote the guy at the first shop, when the Nissan dealer asked them what codes they found and if it had enough fluid, "it had some fluid in it".

Quick update y'all!

So I called the dealership today, and supposedly, upon seeing my Pathfinder arriving on a flatbed, the tech who did my CVT service walked out and quit on the spot.

The master tech is out until Monday for some medical reasons, so it is sitting in the shop until Monday morning at the very least...

After he gets a chance to look at it, it'll be determined if the failure was the dealerships fault, or what my options are otherwise.

Quick update y'all!

So I called the dealership today, and supposedly, upon seeing my Pathfinder arriving on a flatbed, the tech who did my CVT service walked out and quit on the spot.
Sounds like that tech knew he or she did something wrong, and didn't want a firing on his or her record, wrong fluid maybe or ?
It would be nice to know.

Sounds like that tech knew he or she did something wrong, and didn't want a firing on his or her record, wrong fluid maybe or ?
It would be nice to know.
I'll be keeping everybody posted as I find things out. Sounds like I'm not hearing anything further until the master tech is back on Monday though.

Another update

On Friday I was told that it would be looked at first thing Monday and I'd be getting a call with what they found and what my options are.

Today I sat around all day and nothing, finally I called myself around 3PM. Was told they hadn't even pulled it into the shop or gotten started on it yet.

The plot thickens!

Just got off the phone with the Nissan dealership. I guess the first shop lied to me and the transmission was perfectly fine. The rear differential, however, was making the banging noises and binding up really bad. Got a new one coming from another dealership in Cali and going ahead and getting that done and taken care of.

Hopefully this is finally all over ...

The plot thickens!

Just got off the phone with the Nissan dealership. I guess the first shop lied to me and the transmission was perfectly fine. The rear differential, however, was making the banging noises and binding up really bad. Got a new one coming from another dealership in Cali and going ahead and getting that done and taken care of.

Hopefully this is finally all over ...
So, what happened to the alleged codes or shudder? All fabricated?

So, what happened to the alleged codes or shudder? All fabricated?
Yep! The Nissan dealer found no codes and they even emailed me the report from their scan tool. Nothing there. And the noise was the rear diff binding up.

Last edited:
The rear diff is a very uncommon failure point on the 2013+ Pathfinder.

The rear coupling that bolts to the input of the rear diff is a much more common failure point.

Back