Odd suspension clunk - 13 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Hi all, I have been having this odd clunk from the rear that I haven't been able to pinpoint yet. I've been waiting for warmer weather but today when I left my driveway, I heard a new noise as I was pulling out of the... it sounded like the rear springs were binding, kind of like a popping noise, and it continued for the first minute intermittently. I decided to get underneath and see if anything was rubbing or if a spring broke, but they're both fine. Only odd thing was that the left spring looks newer then the right one, which I didn't notice till now... I tapped both springs and the left spring sounds a lot more hollow then the right, which coincides with the left one looking newer. I also can't tell if the right spring is lower then the left or not. I would have to remove both and see if I can find a part number, but i'm inclined to believe that the left spring was replaced before I got the car. If that's the case, I don't quite understand why it was replaced... I also don't really see what else can make the clunk, other then maybe the struts, but they don't appear to be leaking. I have attached 2 videos, one is trying to capture the clunk, so I had my phone in the trunk going 20-25mph over some bumpier roads, the other one is my very unscientific sound test of each spring. Appreciate the help in advance

Also to note, the car has 18's on it so the sound might be accentuated a little while going over bumps

Left

Right

It sounds like the rear license plate rattling against the tailgate to me. I had a similar noise on a Honda Odyssey that originated from the rear plate.

The rear springs don't have a part number on them. Instead they have colored dots pattern that will correspond to a part number.

Other than deteriorated spring mounts (rubber), the rear shock mounts have rubber bushing that can go bad also

It sounds like the rear license plate rattling against the tailgate to me. I had a similar noise on a Honda Odyssey that originated from the rear plate.
I wish it were that easy but the plate sits on a bracket, and both are very secure so the plate can't hit the tailgate

The rear springs don't have a part number on them. Instead they have colored dots pattern that will correspond to a part number.

Other than deteriorated spring mounts (rubber), the rear shock mounts have rubber bushing that can go bad also
Yea I realized that now looking for springs, and I thought about the bushings but from the video angle I had I couldn't see neither the dots or the bushings very well... I'll take the tires off in the next few days when it's warmer and have a better look at the springs to see if they are different or not to begin with, and possibly try and get a better look at the bushings

Finding chassis clunks and rattles can be hard as college calculus. Per Occam's Razor try the theory that's most simple first. I'd do this;

1. thoroughly check the trunk for loose gear. Pull up the mats and check the cubbies. Sometimes unsecured jacks and tire irons make clunks, rattles.
2. +1 on Nukeman7's advice
3. Look for loose items under the car. Things like e.brake bellcranks and the grommets which isolate the cables. Control arm bushings, sway bar links
4. Check the heat shields on the exhaust system.
5. Be aware that chassis noises can be telegraphed from front to rear sometimes making you looking for sound in all the wrong places
6. Maybe you will have to get a chassis listening device like this. My friend has one and it is an intriguing device to play with.

Yea so my suspicions about the rear springs being asymmetrical were correct, took the tires off today and immediately found the culprit... Time to order some springs!

Attachments

• 20230505_120550.jpg
    20230505_120550.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230505_120409.jpg
    20230505_120409.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 18
Yea not sure how and when this happened but it did, luckily it's pretty easy to replace

in case anyone is curious, here's the two old springs side by side
Glad you were able to get those fixed. And I'm glad they broke where it didn't collapse the entire control arm, such as cracking off in the middle of the spring!! Thanks for the update.

Glad you were able to get those fixed. And I'm glad they broke where it didn't collapse the entire control arm, such as cracking off in the middle of the spring!! Thanks for the update.
Indeed. In all the cars I've ever owned, this is the first to break a spring. I know springs can break, although I don't think it's that common, at least I haven't heard of many cases, so another first for me

Back