Clipper blade oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

With the rising cost of "Styling Salons" and their ilk, I have taken to cutting my own hair. Currently in house I have a RoboCut and a Wahl Peanut clipper. The Wahl clipper comes with a miniscule amount of a clear oil and wonder if anyone can tell me what it might be? Perhaps silicone based?

It has nice flow characteristics, but nothing in my firearms related lube inventory quite matches it in that regard. kinda thinkin' I might try some CorrosionX as a replacement that will also obviously give good corrosion protection... but would still like to have something on hand that is closer to OEM.

Any suggestions?

I use Wahl Hair Clipper Oil. It comes in a 2 oz bottle and will last a lifetime.

I either bought it @ Wal-Mart or Target.

My wife cuts my hair and has for over 40 years. Your clippers will last a lifetime as long as you oil them after each use!

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about oiling it AFTER use.
thumbsup2.gif

Well, with the variety I have on hand, I could easily use a very slick lube before use, and CorrosionX after... taking a bit of care to clean things up between cuttings.
Admittedly I'd only consider Olive Oil if I was Sicilian or Greek
crackmeup2.gif
which I am not!

I bought a 4 oz bottler of Oster blade lube. It feel like a good thick oil and has a very fine tip for oiling small parts. I have a #2 blade and they do get hot. It never burned me just gets hot enough to make you wonder if there was a better oil. All this time I was using wahl oil but found the Oster oil to be thicker. I have the Lite 76 clipper and might one the get the Classic 76.

Nice thing about being bald/balding is I use a Wahl trimmer and buzz my head every week. Use a mirror + Mach 3 razr to straight my lines on the side and around the back of the head. Saved some money there!

Hmm I probably ought to look into oiling mine. Used 3&1 on it a few times but not lately. I wonder how some MMO would work and least the smell is tolerable. It's a Wahl that a renter left 5-6 years ago, yes I cleaned it real good. May need to be pulled apart completely cleaned and oiled. Don't have anything for it just use the bare metal setting but hey it was free and probably saved over $1k the entire time I've had it!

I have bought an Oster Classic 76 and was wondering if there is a cheaper grease I can use in it when I run out of the stuff in the little tube that comes with it. Is there anything better? I have noticed a slight grease odor from the clipper and was wondering if there is something less stinky for those parts. They made of plastic. It is a great clipper that won't jam easily unless you are Carrot Top or something and it might mow that nice red mop down. I have red hair so I think of him in envy since my hair is thin up on top. Sorry for the rambling but once I get started I just keep going and going......

RnR:
I got a Wahl clipper about 10 years ago. The little bottle of oil leaked out shortly after I got it. I've been using Super-Lube spray on it after each use, and it's still going good. A few times I used 3-in-1 and it seemed to run a bit slower, but it worked fine.

Clippers are great! I've probably saved $2000 on haircuts in the past 10 years! Good luck.

Somewhere online there is an MSDS for Wahl Clipper oil. It said that it was Chevron Superla food-grade mineral oil.

You can get food-grade mineral oil at US drugstores. It's often used as a laxative. At Target, it's $1.67 for a pint.

Originally Posted By: T-Bone
RnR:
I got a Wahl clipper about 10 years ago. The little bottle of oil leaked out shortly after I got it. I've been using Super-Lube spray on it after each use, and it's still going good. A few times I used 3-in-1 and it seemed to run a bit slower, but it worked fine.

Clippers are great! I've probably saved $2000 on haircuts in the past 10 years! Good luck.

I also use Super Lube spray. It works very well.

As things are today, the Robocut is getting spots of Mobil-1 around the hub and on the blades prior to each cutting as it seems to keep the blade pack at speed for most of the grooming session. However I don't know how much of a mess it's making within the rest of the system. Time will tell I suppose.

The Peanut (I love this little rascal!) has as of late been getting Turbine oil - but I'll see how that mineral oil works in comparison. I place (2) small drops on different areas of the blades after cleaning and turn the unit on for a few seconds to spread the oil. I try and watch to see how well those drops spread while the blades oscillate against each other and the next time around see how the mineral oil does.

That Turbine oil is priced quite nicely at about $1.50 for a bottle, including an extension tube which causes a little frustration in this application... but still worth keeping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back