Clicking sound on left turns - Subaru

Hi folks,

This is on our 2015 Outback with roughly 70k miles. I've heard that CV axles are common on these and I have one ready to go in.

I dont see any signs of boot wear, but it really lines up to be a CV issue.

Is there a way to check for a CV issue without just swapping the axle out? I should know this.....but I dont. lol

Thanks again,

Ryan

The clicking is usually a sign that the CV axle is starting to fail, especially no turns. I helped diagnose it for a friend on a 2015 Forester a few months back. Aside from the noise while turning the visual inspection showed nothing wrong. We took it for a ride to a vacant lot and made tight turns while following on foot and listening closely. After a few turns we located and confirmed the clicking noise was coming from the right front axle. I offered to help with the job, my buddy said it was too hot and took it to a shop.

Hi folks,

This is on our 2015 Outback with roughly 70k miles. I've heard that CV axles are common on these and I have one ready to go in.

I dont see any signs of boot wear, but it really lines up to be a CV issue.

Is there a way to check for a CV issue without just swapping the axle out? I should know this.....but I dont. lol

Thanks again,

Ryan
Clicking is usually an outside cv joint, do not under any circumstances use chicom or reman axles in these, you will be swapping them out on a regular basis.

Thanks a ton guys. I feel like it is the front right.

Its strange the sound radiates, which I think can be common with driveline issues.

Ill keep you posted!

just one more thing to check..I had a similar clicking on tight turns on my 2008 Outback a few years back...assumed CV axle but it was actually the dust shield causing the noise.

Ooooooh. Wouldnt that be nice.

Its strange you mention that because it almost seems like something it could be

The brake rotor shield?

70k ..and a CV axle going out?

WHAT? Unless it ripped the boot open, how does this happen when my ´88 Oldsmobile had 300k with origianal CV´s?

The clicking is usually a sign that the CV axle is starting to fail, especially no turns. I helped diagnose it for a friend on a 2015 Forester a few months back. Aside from the noise while turning the visual inspection showed nothing wrong. We took it for a ride to a vacant lot and made tight turns while following on foot and listening closely. After a few turns we located and confirmed the clicking noise was coming from the right front axle. I offered to help with the job, my buddy said it was too hot and took it to a shop.
That's my kind of friend! :)

The brake rotor shield?
I don't remove them on customers' vehicles but I scrap them on anything I own.

In the rust belt nature takes care of it and somehow life goes on......

Clicking is usually an outside cv joint, do not under any circumstances use chicom or reman axles in these, you will be swapping them out on a regular basis.
Can confirm. Any aftermarket ones I’ve tried have had the boots split within a couple of years, usually less.

Reactions: D60

The brake rotor shield?
yes, the rotor shield...and if it is your axle do as the others said and find a way to go with OEM parts....I eventually replaced my axles with aftermarket and they did just like everyone said they would, vibrated like an old, out of balance washing machine at idle when cold..really sucked.

70k ..and a CV axle going out?

WHAT? Unless it ripped the boot open, how does this happen when my ´88 Oldsmobile had 300k with origianal CV´s?
Subaru jacked up the legacy wagon to make the outback, as a result, the CV are at a severe angle. We had to do one on a 2017 crosstrek with only 67k miles. Got subaru to pay for 1/2 of the job (goodwill) as it was well within PT warranty for years in service but just over on mileage.

The job was over 600 bucks, iirc !

subaru good  will.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: D60
Hi guys, so it WAS the axle. New axle is in and installed.

It was a new aftermarket unit. It was a good brand....the name slips my mind.

My question, is it ok that the new axle is roughly 3mm thicker than the OEM axle?

Its a beast! I cant imagine as long as the CV is still the same size, angle etc....

It installed beautifully with no issues.

clicking when turning on a FWD vehicle is usually a CV joint, so there you go.. it was the axle. I cant see the axle shaft diameter making a difference on your vehicle, as long as it doesn't rub on anything.

Hi guys, so it WAS the axle. New axle is in and installed.

It was a new aftermarket unit. It was a good brand....the name slips my mind.

My question, is it ok that the new axle is roughly 3mm thicker than the OEM axle?

Its a beast! I cant imagine as long as the CV is still the same size, angle etc....

It installed beautifully with no issues.
Nice, it should be fine. The diameter of the axle doesn't affect anything as long as the dampener isn't rubbing anywhere.

Do they still use those p-i-t-a roll pins to hold it to the transaxle?

Not to hijack this thread, but have honest CV axle question..

On the kia I have a single click usually when under 2 MPH, wheel straight, not on throttle such as in a parking lot, and in first gear, but will make a click sound every so often when "on/off" throttle lightly in first. If I am anything more then extremely gentle (normal haha) there are no clicks, and can go what feels like months and not even hear it, than hear it multiple times in a one day.

This click has never gotten worse, nor are there any vibrations or play in the CV. The boots look nice, no rust ect on the shafts... This been going on for a couple of years now and well over 30K.(and who know how long with the pervious owner).

I have checked multiple times over time every single bolt for the subframe, motor mounts, strut bolts and mounts, bushings, ect. everything is tight.

I say all of that to say this. am I on borrowed time with that CV and don't even know it? I would hate to replace the OEM axle if not needed, as they are not cheap, but would also hate to brake a axle or something and either have to do this job on the side of the road... or have a tow.

EDIT: last thought. I have read that sometimes on the kias, a worn out WHEEL BEARING can cause clicks... but, everything is tight, no play or no revolution type sounds, or tight spots.
Thanks. :)

Back