2016 Dodge Grand Caravan - split CV boot, CV joint damaged - replace entire drive axle?

I assumed the tap or click would go away when the engine warmed up - it didn't. That worries me a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up on the ATF - I didn't check whether there was a dipstick. If not, I would be careful to catch what came out, measure it, and add back the same amount.
No dipstick. The level needs to be cross referenced with a chart showing temperature and level. I just assume atf4 expands more than most. I dunno.

Valve train defects were more common up through 2015 but I have seen reports of 2016's failing.

You’d have to pull valve covers to check things out.
Ack, what a rabbit hole ... that means pulling the IM to access the valve covers, and because the plugs are likely original, changing them out too.

At this point they're planning to get their local shop to do the work. I've asked them to ask their shop to check out the ticking noise.

If for some reason this work does fall on me after all, what would I look for w.r.t. the rocker arms and camshafts? Scoring/scratching/pitting?

Thanks!

It will be quite obvious if the noise is what you say it is. It could have any or all of what you said.

It will be quite obvious if the noise is what you say it is. It could have any or all of what you said.
It was classic "lifter" noise - if I closed my eyes, I could have imagined it to be an old small-block Chevy.

I know it's harmless in many engines, but hear that it's a bad sign in the Pentastar 3.6 and the FCA Hemi.

Back