Vibration while accelerating solved

2018 Toyota Highlander

Vibration while accelerating for last 8 months, all started after replacement of OE CV axles due to torn boots and a clicking sound at low speeds while turning. Figured instead of rebooting and regreasing the units I'd just request new units. New would be better than a "bandaid" fix of rebooting and regreasing already clicking and therefore damaged OE CV axles, right?

Nope. Shop put on GSP axles. Shop didn't really consult me on which axles I wanted, aftermarket or OE. I think the shop just made a judgment call. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great judgement call.

First set of axles were defective out the box, well, at least one of them was. Replaced almost immediately--unsure which side but they definitely replaced one or both. Second set was also defective/vibrating, just at different speeds, but shop refused to blame axles and proceeded to blame everything from the torque converter to bent steel rims. Finally got the shop to put in OEM axles ... vibrations instantly disappeared. It wasn't the TC, it wasn't bent rims, it was the **** GSP axles. I had the car put up on a lift at another shop and we found both:

1) lateral runout at the driver side GSP-brand CV axle to transmission connection. You could grab the axle near the tranmission and wiggle it in/out the transmission.

2) radial runout at the driver side GSP-brand CV axle near the transmission as well -- visible wobble as the axle was manually spun

The original shop that finally put on OEM axles did claim that the lateral runout at the axle-to-transmission connection was normal ... said something about there needing to be "flex" in that area to accommodate going over speed bumps and stuff. Is this right?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that:

1) GSP axles are trash

2) OEM axles solved all vibration issues at all speeds from 0 to 120 MPH, not even a hint of a shudder from the car while accelerating now.

And I wanted to ask:

1) Radial runout at the axle-to-transmission joint does NOT seem normal. Shouldn't all the "flex" be within the boot ... and not at the splined connections?

Pretty odd, I would think, to be replacing those CV axles for a 2018 yoda HL. How many miles? Was it external issues that damaged the CV boots or did they just fail?
But, it doesn't surprise me too much that GSP were an issue that OEM solved.

Pretty odd, I would think, to be replacing those CV axles for a 2018 yoda HL. How many miles? Was it external issues that damaged the CV boots or did they just fail?
But, it doesn't surprise me too much that GSP were an issue that OEM solved.
Inner boots are neoprene and tend to fail after enough heat exposure. It is probably a higher mileage 2018?

2018 Toyota Highlander

Vibration while accelerating for last 8 months, all started after replacement of OE CV axles due to torn boots and a clicking sound at low speeds while turning. Figured instead of rebooting and regreasing the units I'd just request new units. New would be better than a "bandaid" fix of rebooting and regreasing already clicking and therefore damaged OE CV axles, right?

Nope. Shop put on GSP axles. Shop didn't really consult me on which axles I wanted, aftermarket or OE. I think the shop just made a judgment call. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great judgement call.

First set of axles were defective out the box, well, at least one of them was. Replaced almost immediately--unsure which side but they definitely replaced one or both. Second set was also defective/vibrating, just at different speeds, but shop refused to blame axles and proceeded to blame everything from the torque converter to bent steel rims. Finally got the shop to put in OEM axles ... vibrations instantly disappeared. It wasn't the TC, it wasn't bent rims, it was the **** GSP axles. I had the car put up on a lift at another shop and we found both:

1) lateral runout at the driver side GSP-brand CV axle to transmission connection. You could grab the axle near the tranmission and wiggle it in/out the transmission.

2) radial runout at the driver side GSP-brand CV axle near the transmission as well -- visible wobble as the axle was manually spun

The original shop that finally put on OEM axles did claim that the lateral runout at the axle-to-transmission connection was normal ... said something about there needing to be "flex" in that area to accommodate going over speed bumps and stuff. Is this right?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that:

1) GSP axles are trash

2) OEM axles solved all vibration issues at all speeds from 0 to 120 MPH, not even a hint of a shudder from the car while accelerating now.

And I wanted to ask:

1) Radial runout at the axle-to-transmission joint does NOT seem normal. Shouldn't all the "flex" be within the boot ... and not at the splined connections?
Yup exactly what I said it was back a couple months ago on your posts about vibration.. It was not the transmission but junk aftermarket axles the entire time!

found my old post, april 2023.. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/vibration-while-accelerating-part-3.367984/post-6467362

I'm glad you finally put OEM axles on and done with this.. see how much junk is out there in the auto parts world?!

I’m still waiting for @14Accent and others to come in and say that they have never experienced any issues with aftermarket axles. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m still waiting for @14Accent and others to come in and say that they have never experienced any issues with aftermarket axles. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I completely missed this thread. Aftermarket CV axles are a crap shoot. I would say... 75% of applications are brand-agnostic when it comes to axles. That last 25% (I'm looking RIGHT at you Subaru and Nissan)? You're better off going used OE vs. ANYTHING available in the aftermarket.

Yeah, aftermarket axles are usually junk. Rebuilt Chinese junk.

I’ve said it many times on these pages, so have @Trav and others - you’re way better off rebooting an OEM axle if you can, but if not, go OEM for the replacement.
Worst part is that the GSP's were brand new units and their marketing brags about how their axles undergo 7 quality inspections during manufacturing...

Yeah, aftermarket axles are usually junk. Rebuilt Chinese junk.

I’ve said it many times on these pages, so have @Trav and others - you’re way better off rebooting an OEM axle if you can, but if not, go OEM for the replacement.
I have been through this multiple times with my van. Aftermarket, rebuilt, all junk. Either vibrate out of the box or fail in short order. A used, rebooted axle is the way to go. Actually, I currently have two used axles on my van, one of which didn’t even need to be rebooted. Was good to go as I received it.

Aftermarket CV axles are a crap shoot. I would say... 75% of applications are brand-agnostic
Had to replace the DS Axle on my 2002 Alero. Got one from AZ. Can't remember brand?? New??? or Reman??
But never had an lssue at all with that axle. But of course, that was just "lucky 7's" of that crapshoot!

In transparency, I did replace the axles on my '94 Grand Am 3.1L with remanufactured NAPA Cardone back in 2010 at ~200k miles. I got 50k miles out of them before the car was junked due to blown head gasket. It did have issues with light coming on once you reached 75mph or so.

Edited to add that a CV assembly sells for $472 from online Honda parts dealerships (list price is $656!) for my '02 Accord from Honda. So, yeah aftermarket can look very attractive!

In transparency, I did replace the axles on my '94 Grand Am 3.1L with remanufactured NAPA Cardone back in 2010 at ~200k miles. I got 50k miles out of them before the car was junked due to blown head gasket. It did have issues with light coming on once you reached 75mph or so.

Edited to add that a CV assembly sells for $472 from online Honda parts dealerships (list price is $656!) for my '02 Accord from Honda. So, yeah aftermarket can look very attractive!
ya Honda's prices are insane.. We're lucky in the Honda community that we have Marty at raxles.com who charges half that price and 100% better quality!

What kind of light, ABS?

ya Honda's prices are insane.. We're lucky in the Honda community that we have Marty at raxles.com who charges half that price and 100% better quality!
Do they just have axles for import cars, or do they sell for domestic cars too?

Do they just have axles for import cars, or do they sell for domestic cars too?
It's mostly just Honda. I asked Marty if he did anything for Scion/Toyota and he didn't. So I don't think they do domestic.. Just checked the website, it's Audi, VW, Honda/Acura, Subaru. I heard about him on the Honda forum.. these axles are insanely good, only problem I had was didn't pay attention to a torn cv boot, had to replace the axle from Marty.

Back