Vibration while accelerating during turn

Agree, but he said it only vibrated when he turned the steering wheel during acceleration.

Scott
I was paying extra close attention today while driving and noticed vibration between approx 20 and 40 MPH under brisk acceleration in a straight line! ☹️

Do you guys think it'll be safe to drive on for another week? I contacted the shop and they said they're down a few staff members so I would need to come by early next week.

So far, I've noticed, in addition to my initial observations which sparked this post:

1) Dull roar/drone from front of car at highway speeds--never noticed this before, and while the car hasn't ever been Lexus quiet, it does have a layer of sound-blocking material that I laid down (closed cell foam+mass loaded vinyl covers most of the floor). In other words: It's generally pretty quiet on the highway. This roar/drone is new.

2) The vibration while turning and accelerating (the cause of this post)

3) Vibration while accelerating 20-40

4) Vibration going from 60-80

Wish it was a cheap repair. Cost me close to $2500 at the Indy shop.

They didn't want to use OEM and looking back, I wish I insisted on OEM.
I'm curious, too. This feels excessive. Even at a labor rate to rebuild/re-boot the original axles this seems crazy.

Was this just two front CV's? Or all four if AWD?

New CV axles run $60 to $120 ea on RA. Figure 50% more at FLAPS maybe, but if your indy shop is sizeable they likely get a discount.

Is there an obscene amount of labor to get at the axles in an '18? Maybe I'm just not understanding the process.

edit: @The Critic

Do you guys think it'll be safe to drive on for another week? I contacted the shop and they said they're down a few staff members so I would need to come by early next week.

So far, I've noticed, in addition to my initial observations which sparked this post:

1) Dull roar/drone from front of car at highway speeds--never noticed this before, and while the car hasn't ever been Lexus quiet, it does have a layer of sound-blocking material that I laid down (closed cell foam+mass loaded vinyl covers most of the floor). In other words: It's generally pretty quiet on the highway. This roar/drone is new.

2) The vibration while turning and accelerating (the cause of this post)

3) Vibration while accelerating 20-40

4) Vibration going from 60-80
And yes, I'd drive it another week with very little concern. Try to drive conservatively and monitor for changes in symptoms.

Wish it was a cheap repair. Cost me close to $2500 at the Indy shop.

They didn't want to use OEM and looking back, I wish I insisted on OEM.
When I did both halfshafts in my old ‘06 Odyssey, I paid ~$250 with tax for both from Advance with one of their 20% coupons. My indie charged 2 hours total labor, another $120, bringing the total to $370 for both, and the van is still running on those some 100k miles later.

IMO, find a new indie. Seems like it would definitely be worth your effort.

When I did both halfshafts in my old ‘06 Odyssey, I paid ~$250 with tax for both from Advance with one of their 20% coupons. My indie charged 2 hours total labor, another $120, bringing the total to $370 for both, and the van is still running on those some 100k miles later.

IMO, find a new indie. Seems like it would definitely be worth your effort.

Sorry guys for all the confusion. I still haven't found my original invoice, but I recall why the bill was about $2500 now.

I replaced more than just the CV joints.

This is a FWD car, not AWD, so only front CV joints are present.

I had also asked them to replace the front shock absorbers, and they used pre-loaded KYB strut assemblies. They also replaced the front sway bar links (I noticed the Moog links during a DIY oil change).

So basically, I paid $2500 for:

1) Front CV joint's from GSP
2) New KYB strut assemblies
3) New sway bar links from Moog

Sorry guys for all the confusion. I still haven't found my original invoice, but I recall why the bill was about $2500 now.

I had also asked them to replace the front shock absorbers, and they used pre-loaded KYB strut assemblies. They also replaced the front sway bar links (I noticed the Moog links during a DIY oil change).

basically not the highest quality of parts they're using for not low prices either.. I agree, time to find another mechanic, this should serve as a warning. I bet all they'll keep doing is replacing the axles with more low quality parts. Best idea? Get the Toyota axles/driveshafts (and a new mechanic/shop) and be done with the quality issues.. Simple? Yep..

Had to add this.. all this on a 2018? A bit early for Toyota parts, if you're the original owner.. My Scion didn't need struts until the 9 year mark, the links 10 years. And this is in the rust belt! And the axles are still original (now 17 years old). Sure mine could go bad tomorrow but it seems a bit fishy on yours needing to be replaced so soon. Im starting to wonder if your car is being sabotaged to get more work.

Oh about those "highly rated shops".. I've found that those ratings can come from a company the shops pay to write good reviews, sad but true.

Last edited:
basically not the highest quality of parts they're using for not low prices either.. I agree, time to find another mechanic, this should serve as a warning. I bet all they'll keep doing is replacing the axles with more low quality parts. Best idea? Get the Toyota axles/driveshafts (and a new mechanic/shop) and be done with the quality issues.. Simple? Yep..

Had to add this.. all this on a 2018? A bit early for Toyota parts, if you're the original owner.. My Scion didn't need struts until the 9 year mark, the links 10 years. And this is in the rust belt! And the axles are still original (now 17 years old). Sure mine could go bad tomorrow but it seems a bit fishy on yours needing to be replaced so soon. Im starting to wonder if your car is being sabotaged to get more work.

Oh about those "highly rated shops".. I've found that those ratings can come from a company the shops pay to write good reviews, sad but true.
Sad but true sure sounds likely here.

Almost sounds like they either over-quoted to get more work, or damaged parts while working on it and “expanded” their replacement list to make it seem like the work was needed.

OP, did they look at it, give you the car back, and then quote it; or did you take it to them with a specific complaint, they did the work and then gave you the bill and it was way more than you expected?

ok🤔 are the vibration related with rpm?

After all this discussion you just remembered that? That probably explains the $2,500 price tag, but the vibration is because of poor quality half shafts.

Scott

After all this discussion you just remembered that? That probably explains the $2,500 price tag, but the vibration is because of poor quality half shafts.

Scott
Yeah, I try not to think about painful things, like spending $2500 on repairs that didn't even work out great ☹️

Search for raxles, they are in Florida as well. Seem to be highly regarded.
I remember I got a quote from them for my old Mazda 3 and the price was very reasonable, however, whatever I got from Napa was working fine, so I never went with Raxles remans.
raxles is awesome! I have them on my Civic, cannot complain at all about the quality. But I don't know if Marty does Toyota axles. Would be worth the call. raxles.com

So I had to put a few hundred miles on the car this weekend as I am still waiting for Tuesday--the day that the shop said I could bring it in (today being Sunday).

I noticed that the vibrations while accelerating have all but disappeared, which is strange. I can stomp the pedal and there's nearly no vibration going from a dead stop to 50 mph. There used to be heavy vibration with much less than pedal-to-the-metal acceleration.

I also noticed that the main symptom now appears to be a mechanical drone coming from the front end of the vehicle.

I have no idea what is going on with the CV axles, or whatever else up front.

What could have happened?

And yes, I'm going to the shop first thing on Tuesday!

They didn't have axles for my Camry 😔
I had to get a Cardone HD unit from RA
Hope it's serviceable, I'm selling the car soon
ya I see you got what you could to sell it.. sorry to hear they don't have the Camry axles, I remember Marty didn't have ones for my tC (Was checking whenever I need them). Ya let us know how the Cardone work out, maybe you'll get a good one!

Back