Cleaning up a valve face on a Briggs a 15.5 Briggs for Lawn tractor?

Hi,

The valve face is full of carbon but I really don't want to spend much time cleaning it up and removing it. I'd like to just replace the head gasket and do a quick and dirty cleanup of it like I did the piston. Would engine cleaner and a little bit of sandpaper be ok or just leave it alone? I just want to get mowing again but feel a little guilty about leaving it like that.

Thanks.

Green scotchbrite disks on a rotary tool. On the face, but not on the valve margins.
I don't have that at my disposal but I do have green scotchbrite pads and oven cleaner. Is that a bad idea? The valve is shut so not awfully worried about the margins. Thanks.

Fool-Proof Method:

1. Chuck the valve in a drill
2. Get maroon ScotchBrite hand pad and soak with WD-40
3. Wrap ScotchBrite around valve face and squeeze tight
4. Squeeze trigger on drill to whatever rpm you feel comfortable with

Valve will get polished real quick. It's so easy you might as well polish the whole valve.

Last edited:
Knock off any big chunks with a screwdriver, chisel, etc. Realize that carbon is being formed all the time, it's self-limiting.

Don't use scotchbrite inside an engine! It leaves abrasive stuff behind.

Ahh these posts came later on. I did use a green scotchbrite but not excessively and did clean up. Should I take it all apart again? The head gasket replacement went fine.

Put the valve in a drill press and use scotch bright. Clean it well afterwards and keep the scot h bright away from the engine!

Ahh these posts came later on. I did use a green scotchbrite but not excessively and did clean up. Should I take it all apart again? The head gasket replacement went fine.
Green ScotchBrite is worthless for all but kitchen dishes. And even then, Maroon is superior.

Maroon ScotchBrite is superior for anything metal.
I'd use oven cleaner aka caustic soda aka sodium hydroxide aka lye for baked on carbon. Warm the metal up a bit to 150F or so and coat it. Let sit 15 minutes or so and wash it off with water.

At one place I worked they had the aluminum vacuum heat sealing molds for prepared fruit trays. After about a week they had a baked on sugar carbon coating. They use to scrape and scour it off till I showed them what a sink of hot water and a quart of the lye does.

All it takes is a wipe with a cloth to remove what's left.

I'd use oven cleaner aka caustic soda aka sodium hydroxide aka lye for baked on carbon. Warm the metal up a bit to 150F or so and coat it. Let sit 15 minutes or so and wash it off with water.

At one place I worked they had the aluminum vacuum heat sealing molds for prepared fruit trays. After about a week they had a baked on sugar carbon coating. They use to scrape and scour it off till I showed them what a sink of hot water and a quart of the lye does.

All it takes is a wipe with a cloth to remove what's left.
You want to see some cleaning ability that will blow your mind? Fast forward to 48:30

Hi,

The valve face is full of carbon but I really don't want to spend much time cleaning it up and removing it. I'd like to just replace the head gasket and do a quick and dirty cleanup of it like I did the piston. Would engine cleaner and a little bit of sandpaper be ok or just leave it alone? I just want to get mowing again but feel a little guilty about leaving it like that.

Thanks.
I use a brass wire brush to clean.

Back