Cleaning oils, who's best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much you want to bet this is related to Amsoil having better than 3,000 mg of calcium in it?? Which is more than the typical 2,000 mg found in almost of the other oils out there. And Mobil 1 which uses calcium and magnesium totally about 2,000 mg. That's where this comes from I bet. Granted.... This is before Dexos gen 2 came into being. Now, that has changed even Amsoil with their formulation.

That Caddy looks like a challenge for a cleaner
laugh.gif

Guess I'd glop out what I could, and then go after it with 50/50 MMO and HDEO for 1,000 miles at a whack ... Prolly change the filter every 100 miles for a while ...

large.jpg

That was a few years ago. Took maybe 12 hours with paper towels, tweezers and qtips to clean it up. It ran perfectly fine before that but was getting a CEL for the timing chain. Car was under warranty but when they took the covers off and found this, they said no coverage.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You're lucky
smile.gif

Naw, I got this 89,000 mile Cadillac a few years ago.

large.jpg

Yuck! Any idea what oil was used in that and how often it was changed?

No, and not very often.

Too bad, that would be great to know.

BTW, you did a great job cleaning that up with the items you mentioned! I would have bet you were going to mention a putty knife was also used!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
What if it hasn't been changed in the last 1000 miles? I'm thinking if the sludge is black, then the oil on the dipstick should be black.

Not always. Back when 1MZ-FE engine sludge was all the rage, one of the indicators was that the oil stayed clean looking despite the condition of the engine.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Use M1 oils for the life of the vehicle and you will always see clean engines. That's been my experience for the last 40 years.

Depends on the car as well. Toyotas are hard on their oil, my parent's Sienna almost always saw M1 and PP, and when I pulled the valve covers to check the valves and install new gaskets the valvetrain had the usual varnish on it but it was in pristine shape for a 100K+ motor. My parents also had a Nissan Quest we tried hard to kill, it saw Red Line for most of its life(I got a good deal on the stuff) with some Castrol, M1, PYB and Chevron Supreme as well. When I did the valve covers at the 180K mark, it was clean.

I'm curious about that Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue Restore myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
What if it hasn't been changed in the last 1000 miles? I'm thinking if the sludge is black, then the oil on the dipstick should be black also.

If that was the case it would indicate the oil was dissolving the sludge, but then, there wouldn't be that much sludge in the first place.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You're lucky
smile.gif

Naw, I got this 89,000 mile Cadillac a few years ago.

large.jpg

Clean enough to eat off of

If that was the case it would indicate the oil was dissolving the sludge, but then, there wouldn't be that much sludge in the first place.

The engine you have pictured; what did the oil look like on the dipstick before you cleaned it?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. It has to say "Restore" in the name or it's not the right product.

It's designed specifically to clean heavy carbon from the ring packs in Cummins ISX engines.

Hideously expensive, largely because it has more ester content than pretty much any oil you can buy. Has to be purchased through a Cummins distributor; it's normally sold as a service event rather than an oil per se, but apparently Cummins distributors will sell it.

Hard to imagine there's anything out there that'll be as effective.

Yes, it's $73.00 a gallon at Cummins in Albuquerque!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back