Cleaning a Headstone

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My mom's headstone is badly in need of cleaning. I was talking with my sister this morning and she's considering using a product called Wet&Forget, which offers an outdoor stone cleaner.

1687172616706.jpeg

Has anyone had any experience with this product for cleaning headstones? Have you used something else, or a different technique for cleaning a monument of this type? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited:
I was reading about company's that do headstone cleaning. It appears there is a official headstone cleaning agent, that is approved by our government for cleaning headstones. Specifically headstones in military cemetery's. It was designed to cause no harm to the stones. They also do not recommend using any type of pressure washer on stones, which may cause damage. Just a hand held pump, that looks like a garden sprayer. And after a soaking, just using a soft bristle brush removes years of dirt. The older the stone, unless it's marble or granite, the easier you have to treat it. But the end results usually are pretty impressive.,,,

I was reading about company's that do headstone cleaning. It appears there is a official headstone cleaning agent, that is approved by our government for cleaning headstones. Specifically headstones in military cemetery's. It was designed to cause no harm to the stones. They also do not recommend using any type of pressure washer on stones, which may cause damage. Just a hand held pump, that looks like a garden sprayer. And after a soaking, just using a soft bristle brush removes years of dirt. The older the stone, unless it's marble or granite, the easier you have to treat it. But the end results usually are pretty impressive.,,,
Thanks. There are a few cleaning agents that are recommended and Wet&Forget is one of them. Your info helped me find the link below.

https://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/cleaning.asp

Isn't this the cemeteries job? Isn't there some clause in the purchase agreement when the plot was bought about "perpetual care"? If not, a pressure washer would clean that without harsh chemicals.

Isn't this the cemeteries job? Isn't there some clause in the purchase agreement when the plot was bought about "perpetual care"? If not, a pressure washer would clean that without harsh chemicals.
No , it is not always the cemetery's job to clean the headstones . A lot of the smaller private or Church cemeteries do well to keep the grass cut . I would not use a pressure washer .

I would think a soft wash would be fine. Several recipes online for that. Similar concept as the wet and forget. They just supply the recipe for you.

I do that to the siding on my house once a year in the spring. Works great. I use my pressure washer just to "shoot" it up high (my house is super super tall.) I don't actually pressure wash anything, just get it all wet with the product. Then, after 10 - 15 minutes, do a rinse and bam. Works really well.

One shouldn’t ever pressure wash a headstone. It erodes the surface of the stone. The chemical washes for stones aren’t harsh. That wet and forget seems appropriate.

Wet and forget is slow to work so don’t expect miracles right away. In a few weeks to a month the stone will come clean. I use it on my pavers and roof and it looks great. Spray it on so it saturates as much as it can and walk away and forget about it I put it on once a year.

I used 'Wet and Forget' on vinyl siding and it works great. It works over time so don't expect immediate results.

I have used Wet and Forget. Spray it on and walk away. In a few weeks everything is great looking.

I remember visiting one relative’s plot and the old cup for flowers is buried in the grass and we couldn’t find it. We contacted the cemetery and they said it was to be maintained by them and they’d have it replaced since it was paid for decades ago. I do see a lot of people co in gin with pruning tools to clean up those cups.

They have a “non-endowed” section too. There’s no grass, just wood chips. I think they rely on relatives to individually maintain those plots.

Back