CJ-4 / SM Semi Synthetic at Canadian Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for some Rotella T-5 10w30 in quart or liter size. T-5 is a CK-4 semi synthetic. Could’t find the one quart size of T-5 but what I found was a one quart bottle of Motomaster semi-synthetic 10w30 with a CJ-4 / SM rating. For outdoor power equipment applications, do some of the Bitgoers actually prefer CJ-4 for its higher Zinc and Phosphorus?

I like the idea of using a HD oil in my mower and was using Kohler 10w30 in the past which is SJ but not necessarily for it's higher zddp. In my new mower I decided to start using T5 10w30 but it's CK-4, not sure what the difference is between that and CJ-4.

In my truck I started using T5 10w30 for it's zddp, it got rid of the start up tick but then so did Magnatec 10w30.

I use up a 18.9 liter pail of that Motomaster Semi-Syn 10W-30 Diesel Oil per year,
(regularly on special at 63$ CAD or so)

Didn't know it was a Citgo product, online searches I had done showed the exact same MSDS specs
as Rotella T5 but CT may have switched suppliers since.

Anyhow I've been running it in all my small engines:

- 9.5 HP snowblower
- 9HP or so / 5500W generator
- 6.5HP lawmmower
- 22HP lawn tractor (Kohler 7000 series engine)
- 30HP Honda CRF250X dirt bike (think off-road version of a 250cc 4-stroke motocross race bike)
and, even in my girlfriend's '06 Pontiac Vibe for the 'summer' OCI.

Can't vouch for this oil's cold cranking/pumping abilities as all the equipment listed
is stored in the above freezing ambiant temps of a heated garage.

Although no JASO rated like some other diesel oils to be wet clutch safe,
I've also had great results using it in the gearbox sumps of both my dirt bikes
with no signs of clutch slippage whatsoever.
Especially the YZ125 which was previously a notchy shifter,
and in which I had experimented many specialized motorcycle specific oils,
from thin to thick ATF type-F, 10W-40, 15W-40, 80W)
but switching it to this 10W-30 somehow cured all the shifting issues.

One thing I've noticed is that this oil doesn't darken much with use,
either the additives package is overkill for my low power applications or,
there isn't much cleaning and holding contaminants in suspension going on...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianF
I compared this oil with T5 and Duron SHP for CCS and found the Duron had the slight edge on this.

On the same topic, where can a guy get a reasonable deal on Petrocan Duraon products? I believe Duran Motoroils are made at the plant in Ontario but not sure.( the plant itself is now owned by Holley Frontier of San Antonio. )

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Best deal is at the local distributor. Not sure where you live but around these parts there are several bulk dealers in the area. Usually they run a PetroCan fuel cardlock. The larger ones will have a building open during business hours and I believe the prices are set by PetroCan.

See if this link works: https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/business/find-a-fuel-distributor.aspx

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back