Gulf Supreme Duty XLE 10W30 CJ-4/SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is my first post here. I've always used diesel oil (mostly Rotella) in my muscle cars for the higher zinc and phosphorous content. Never had any problem break-in a camshaft. My 69 Firebird 400 was rebuilt 11 years ago, it has 13500miles and the valvetrain doesnt show any sign of premature wear. I understand that most oil companies have oil formulas for older flat-tappet engines, but I live in a rural area and dont have many choices except regular brand oils and grades.

That being said, I found a few gallons of Gulf Supreme Duty XLE, 10W30, rated CJ-4/SM, dated 2014 at my local NAPA store. I was wondering if anybody knows something about that oil? I cant find any VOA on it, I've sent an email to Gulf, but dont expect any replies from them.

They are almost giving it away at 17$ a gallon.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

WELCOME!
Most likely any of us on this forum would have to do a search just as you would considering that SM motor oils ended after ~2010. However to really know much about said motor oil, one would have to have a sample tested to get some baseline of its additive package.

If these are the only 2 jugs that you are going to be using(at a good price) and there are no more to be found, the testing would be moot as there are other more readily available oils to be had even if they're more money.

I say, use the Gulf Supreme XLE with confidence and then, continue doing what you were doing prior to this purchase.

Good luck and show some pictures of that 69 BIRD!
smile.gif

CB

Nope! But given it's CJ-4/SM rated, and for the likely higher zinc and phosphorous levels found in it, I'd say give it a try. I suspect it's good stuff for your application.

BTW, I see this oil came from the Netherlands and not North America. Others please take that into account.

And yes, post a picture of the Bird!
smile.gif

Was struck by the "your local global brand" tag on the bottle. Gulf was pretty much out of sight out of mind until I was in New York this summer as a prelude to a Quebec trip with friends. Doing some Wikipedia reading on Gulf was interesting, although if you held a gun to my head and told me to explain, I'd probably be dead.

Some Indian, some C-store ownership, various Gulf credit cards which didn't recognize each others products (I'm sure there were some nice incidents involving fill ups from people who had no cash). Shows what happens when a company like Chevron didn't show interest in defending a trade mark.

Gulf Oil International is owned by the Hinduja Group and from their web site: "Gulf Oil International is one of the largest independent downstream lubricants companies in the world with sales made in over 100 countries. It owns and operates blending plants in Argentina, China, India, Philippines, and the United Arab Emirates."

Last edited:
I read somewhere (probably here) that Chevron actually sold the Gulf name, it's been popping up here and there on c-stores, usually Lykins Oil leased ones. Caveat emptor.

Thanks for the comments. I read a little about the whole Gulf history. From what I understand, the 'GULF' brand was brought back in Jan 2010. I remember Gulf being very big early 80's. I was just a teenager then, Gulf service stations were all over the place.

I'll give it a try, and maybe have a sample analyzed. So I'll know exactly what's into it. I called and they have 7 gallons left, all dated 2014. If the zinc and phosphorous content is high, it would be a steal at 17$.

Pictures of my '69 Bird and '72 GTO.

69_Firebird_153.jpg

IMG_0012.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back