Nemco 0W40 Semi-Synthetic

Here's an oil I haven't seen discussed at all on here so thought I'd post my tribology analysis performed by AGAT Labs (Green row is the new oil sample, blue row is my most recent analysis after 4250km). The white row is an analysis where I had experienced fuel dilution and had also added a can of MolySlip additive.
Datasheet is available here: https://nemco.ca/wp-content/uploads/SynBlend-HD-Motor-Oils-0W-30-0W-40_rev1.pdf
j2dLVsI.png

This oil appears to be unique as the only Semi-synthetic available anywhere in a 0W40 viscosity. Unsurprisingly, it experienced pretty fast sheer-related loss in viscosity as you can see in the physical properties table, likely due to the high amount of VII's needed to make a semi-synthetic with such a high viscosity index. For this reason I will be keeping my OCI on this oil under 5000km.

Overall I am very happy with this oil and will continue using it. For my specific application it is perfect, due to the following factors:
1.) Good cold weather performance: I live in a climate that reguarly sees -35c to -40C cold starts during the winter, for this reason I prefer a 0W oil
2.) Semi synthetic: My engine (29 years old) does not leak at all on semi-synthetic or conventional, but has some drips when running full synthetic.
3.) 40 weight at operating temps: It is well known that the Isuzu V6 engines do well on a 40 weight oil, especially when higher mileage
4.) High detergents: These engines have a tendency to get clogged hydraulic lifter passages and become noisy in the top end. This is the reason I am running a diesel oil despite this being a gasoline engine.
5.) High zinc: My vehicle has no catalytic converter, so a more oldschool anti-wear package with high zinc and phosphorous works perfect.

I’d ask the mods to move this to the Petrol Forum.

As a side, I’m sure you could find a better 0w-40 than that without even spelling the few out there for you.

Back