Citgo motor oil (10W-30 SUPERGARD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
For a really killer Citgo, try Citgo Superguard Ultralife (high mileage version).

Would this be ok to use in a new(er) low mileage engine?
dunno.gif

Pretty sure it is ok. You can check with Citgo. I know the Valvoline site says their Maxlife is fine for new engines. There is a UOA on it here showing nice zddp levels (around 1200 ppm for SL).

Oh, ok. Thanks TP. I have heard alot of good things about those HM oils. I always thought it was just another marketing scheme, using rebottled oil. But, looks like those might be well worth it. They are, in general, more robust, and well suited for short trip driving, no?

I too can no longer find citgo in my area. I have used it in my northstar for the last 3 oil changes. When my stash runs out I will use chevron or havoline not much of a step down but I still will miss it. Mike

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
They are, in general, more robust, and well suited for short trip driving, no?

In my opinion, the HM oils are better since they do not always cater to CAFE driven things like starburst and "energy conserving" ratings. Some have gone SM on us, including Maxlife, though I see the addition of 290 ppm moly in the Maxlife SM presumably to make up for reduced levels of zddp in SM.

I was once told that Maxlife is what Valvoline All Climate should have been.

Oh yeah, HM oils should have more detergent, like calcium which also serves to neutralize acids and provides some antiwear function.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I just think it's hard to argue against Havoline or Chevron Supreme.

Yeah, I couldn't say whether Citgo is any better than Chevron Supreme or Havoline. All good oils.

quote:

Originally posted by pmt:

To: Blue99
I'm assuming that these both are SM, GF-4 oils. If so, Citgo getting GF-4 performance using Group I base stock is pretty impressive - due to strong additive package? I can remember when some on this forum believed that the only way a dino oil could meet GF-4 was to use Group II or higher base stock. More than one way the skin the SM/GF-4 cat.
I ran Citgo 5W-30 in my 2003 GMC last Fall for awhile (2100 mi) and Blackstone said the UOA wear rates were barely above typical VOA numbers. Guess Group I isn't so bad afer all.

Yes, the 5W-30 has a strong additive package and is most likely a Grp II+/ Grp I formulation. As we learned here, Lubrizol introduced a 300 ppm Moly additive package to increase oxidation resistance. This appears to be the add pack that Citgo uses.

Lobo11 - Here's a link to a Lube Reports Article that describes the Citgo PDVA refinery operations.

The Citgo Lake Charles refinery is a long term contributor on the Grp I base oils market. The naphthenic oils are from the Lyondell-Citgo partnership.

I recently switched to Citgo Synthetic 5w30 in my F150 and 10w30 in my Jeep Cherokee. To date, I am pleased - my F150 hasn't idled this smooth in months, and the Jeep has also quieted down from my previous oil.

I can't comment on the makeup of the oil, but I'm guessing a Group III with a decent price point of around 3.50 a quart.

UOA's to come in 3-4 months!

I just bought another case of Citgo SuperGard 5w30 at a local Blain's Farm & Fleet here in the Milwaukee area about 2 weeks ago. www.farmandfleet.com 69 cents/ quart after rebate is a great price for a good dino oil. I just sent my (Havoline 5w30 SM) used oil to Blackstone for analysis, but now the R has Citgo 5w30 in it, and will do a UOA after ~4000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back