Chrysler Headquarters move to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I believe that means they won't be eligible to make vehicles for the US Government, since their headquarters won't be stateside.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Interesting. I believe that means they won't be eligible to make vehicles for the US Government, since their headquarters won't be stateside.

Never heard that before. Can you explain this?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
And how this country taxes businesses had to play into that decision.

Another way to say it... "And how this country chooses which businesses to favor had to play into that decision."

It makes perfect sense. The UK has a 20% corporate tax, compared to the USA's 35% and Italy' 32.4%. Already lawmakers in Washington DC are vowing to legislate against companies moving out of the USA to avoid taxes.

I say more power to FCA. If it keeps them afloat then it isn't a bad thing.

This will be very interesting to watch...how Chrysler will fare under the Italians vs. the Germans...and the Americans. Only time will tell....

So now that they're a British car company, how long until they go bankrupt and the remains get sold off? Will it be the Germans, Indians, or Chinese to buy them?

Originally Posted By: SF0059
It makes perfect sense. The UK has a 20% corporate tax, compared to the USA's 35% and Italy' 32.4%. Already lawmakers in Washington DC are vowing to legislate against companies moving out of the USA to avoid taxes.

I say more power to FCA. If it keeps them afloat then it isn't a bad thing.

Right, and this tax loss to our country will come to a screeching halt once we institute a unitary system of taxing corporate income, in which corporate net will be taxed based upon proportionate revenue regardless of the country of domicile claimed.
The current practice of American companies pretending to be Irish, for example, has become too flagrant and absurd an abuse to be allowed to continue.
If a company wants to do business here, it'll have to pay taxes on the income it earns here, rather than transfering most of that income through intra-corporate pricing schemes.
Another thing to consider is that the effective rates of taxation are far lower than what the list prices might lead you to think, and this is true for us as individual taxpayers as well.

With Dodge spinning the Ram name off (somehow), will the Ram "ownership" stay stateside? I mean, truck owners tend to be pretty defensive about owning an American truck and all.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Never heard that before. Can you explain this?

It's my understanding that federal contract rules require auto manufacturers to be headquartered in the U.S. in order to sell vehicles to the Feds.

I don't see many Chrysler vehicles in the federal fleet anyhow; a few Dodge Chargers, but that's about it.

Foreign ownership is no obstacle...at least, not judging by the many government-owned Freightliners.

The USPS has a bunch of cargo Caravans and a few stake-bed Ram 3500's.

Good riddance to a company that has made 2nd rate vehicles for decades.Auto transmissions that went bad at a 100k over and over again.
I had a number of them before I wised up.
Stunning designs and bad engineering.Good looks sell.

Not surprising, our corporate tax laws are not very good in this country and also remember Chrysler is no longer an American company, so why stay here?

Originally Posted By: supton
With Dodge spinning the Ram name off (somehow), will the Ram "ownership" stay stateside? I mean, truck owners tend to be pretty defensive about owning an American truck and all.

The Toyota Tundra is the most American pickup now if you look at percentage of domestic parts on the window stickers.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: supton

The Toyota Tundra is the most American pickup now if you look at percentage of domestic parts on the window stickers.

What I meant was, all the pickup owners who would never own an import and who are wed to their American Dodge, would they stomach their Ram trucks being "foreign" trucks? Or would Ram stay stateside owned? It didn't make much sense to drop the name Doge from the Ram line, at least not at the time. But if Dodge becomes foreign owned... Ram can stay American, somehow.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Foreign ownership is no obstacle...at least, not judging by the many government-owned Freightliners.

The USPS has a bunch of cargo Caravans and a few stake-bed Ram 3500's.

Perhaps is differs by agency, but I've dealt with a handful of vehicle contracts for the Feds that all required bidders to be headquarterd in the US. The bid request for the new presidential limo does too.

I believe that the USPS doesn't truck the mail between facilities anymore. At least where I live, the shipments between post offices and sorting facilities are all contracted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back