Chipmunks - Damit.

Originally Posted by Gebo
You might try some of those big sticky pads. And hope that a hawk or owl comes by and carries it all off so you won't have to dispose of it. Win win...
crackmeup2.gif

Those in my opinion are just inhumane.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
...Humans don't "own it".

Until the rodents start pitching in for property taxes and maintenance costs, they don't own anything.
wink.gif

Seriously, I have my problem now because of my live-and-let-live attitude. When I first saw them moving into my yard, they were well away from anything that could be damaged so I let them be. Big mistake. Huge mistake. That wasn't enough for them and now they're tunneling under my sidewalk and it looks like their work caused the landing slab for the steps off of my back deak to sink and cause damage to the stairs.

This is now war...

Originally Posted by andyd
Snap traps or live traps, then euthanasia. Relocation is illegal.

Its illegal to save orphaned baby birds... but we can't stand to see them die so we still intervene... whether Black Bird or Blue Jay we always name them Sh*t Bird...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by fsdork
Originally Posted by samven
... I would not use poison because you will kill vultures, owls and hawks when they grab up the wobbly or dead critters...

It frustrates me that so many people either don't understand or don't care about the collateral damage that poisons can cause.

I value your point but I personally value my house and my shrubs and my property more.

I can't see that perspective. I'm more concerned about my dog and those of my neighbours than I am about shrubs.

To be clear, my issue isn't with killing the pests. I've been emptying and re-baiting my snap traps like crazy this year for some reason. But they're generally humane, and only catch the intended targets.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Tried to "have a heart" and catch the colony of destructive chipmunks around my house. No success.

Will they eat rat poison?

So far they've killed 6 foundation shrubs and one well established climbing rose.

I'm done playing.

Open to suggestions...this side of guns and explosives.

I catch them in those rat traps (looks like giant mouse trap) baited with peanut butter. Problem is there are more around to fill the void and is a losing battle.

Last edited:
It's not just the lawn and garden. They can decide to build nests in your vehicles. Plugging up air vents leaving poop and seeds everywhere. Chewing on wires. I get about 20 a year walking the plank into 6 inches of clear water for fresh "David" sunflower seeds. You have to keep it going because fresh troops are right behind the ones you drown.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
...Humans don't "own it".

Until the rodents start pitching in for property taxes and maintenance costs, they don't own anything.
wink.gif

Seriously, I have my problem now because of my live-and-let-live attitude. When I first saw them moving into my yard, they were well away from anything that could be damaged so I let them be. Big mistake. Huge mistake. That wasn't enough for them and now they're tunneling under my sidewalk and it looks like their work caused the landing slab for the steps off of my back deak to sink and cause damage to the stairs.

This is now war...

Yes, they have undermined my driveway that cost 7000.00 to pave and it is collapsing and cracking.

But there wasn't a paved driveway before.

and there was no house before 1981.

So I am not not HAPPY about that.

But I just say, Oh well.

I have other, more pressing issues to worry about.

In the meanwhile, The Neighbors cat comes over and sits at the entrance to the tunnel.

Funny that the Owls seem more active at night and and the chipmunks are active during the day - unlike mice.

I directly abut a giant State Forest, so, Nature abounds.

Move to a 55 square meter condo unit on the 18th floor. You will likely have a 2 square meter balcony where the association will allow you have one potted plant.

No chipmunks but plenty of two legged rodents.

" And outside cats really are an environmental disaster also. "

Cats do kill some things outside that are not pests. But I don't think they are an environmental disaster. How about a collar with a little bell.[/quote]

It's not their fault , it's people . We keep them indoors .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted by yannis

Chipmunks are so adorable.

They fly great too...
[Linked Image]

Where was your Chipmunk made Larry? Is it a Canadian or U.K aircraft?

Originally Posted by odie
" And outside cats really are an environmental disaster also. "

Cats do kill some things outside that are not pests. But I don't think they are an environmental disaster. How about a collar with a little bell.

It's not their fault , it's people . We keep them indoors .

Watched this on PBS about Cat Island of Ishinomaki , Japan . I think it was from NOVA Cat Tales . I believe this episode tells of how cats ARE social and other misinterpretations . The picture is a different source .

IMG_4888.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cb450sc

Where was your Chipmunk made Larry? Is it a Canadian or U.K aircraft?

Mine is UK with the bird cage canopy... pictured is my friend Andy's Canadian with the bubble canopy...

For the ones that aren't caught in my rat trap and end up in my box trap, I release them....Into my farm pond. The bass love them.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Back