Chipmunks and strawberries/Tomotoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year we decided to put out a few plants on our deck. A couple pepper plants, a strawberry, and a cherry tomato plant along with some herbs and flowers. Well, we have a LOT of chipmunks, and they've been eating the strawberries and tomatoes before we can get to them. I don't want to kill them, but they are extremely irritating.

I know we have a ton because I've found their holes all around the house. Anyone have any suggestions to get rid of them? Something I can put down to repel them?

TIA.

I had and still do have some chipmunks. They get in the cars, garage, shed, and my garden; they are just large mice IMHO.

I also have a pear tree that gets stripped of pears every year by squirrels.

Those cute little jerks are why I abandoned my strawberry garden. They had a habit of taking a chunk out of the berries right when they began to ripen - all of them.

One thing I've learned is that you can't win against mother nature.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
One thing I've learned is that you can't win against mother nature.

Myself and everyone else in Calgary has confirmed that the last few days...........

Nothing better than wild or real strawberries, the ones a the grocer's have the slight taste of strawberry and are as large as grapefruit...........Nice work Monsanto
smile.gif

I say you cull a few and try to sleep at night with a belly full of delicious produce. I had to 'remove' a bunch of flying squirrels last year because they were in my place. Didn't like doing it but they left no option, sorry flying squirrels. Smartest rodent I ever hunted :), I hope chipmunks are a lot dumber.

Last edited:
You may not want to do them harm, but they are rodent pests and should be treated as such.

YouTube chipper dipper, or chipmunk trap and see what fun you can have with a 5 gallon bucket, three gallons if water, a board, and a bag of sunflower seeds. Works for mice to. They jump in thinking it's a bucket full of seeds.

I have used a Havahart trap for squirrels in my attic and would use one for chipmunks. Like a weed, a rodent is an unwanted animal no matter how cute. (My ex would qualify as a rodent I believe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back