Do You Garden?

I used to have a fair size garden every year. Old age and a broken down body precludes that any more. Used to can tomatoes, carrots, green beans and beets every year. Always had green and hot peppers as well. Pretty much grew every thing you could grow in Iowa. Never had much luck with cabbage or brussel sprouts. Had cucumbers and cantaloupe as well. Probably forgetting a few others. Can't forget home canned salsa.

Talked with Daughter and Granddaughter last night. They will put in 4 tomato plants in their back yard this spring. We decided on one each plant.
Early girl, Rutgers, Better Boy and Sweet 100's grape tomatoes.

What do you all plant and grow?

My grandfather was a gardener. We had a garden in the back yard about about 10' x 20'. On another social website forum similar to this one, a lady showed pictures of her fair sized garden. It was about an acre. What is a small farm to me was a fair sized garden to her.

My daughter picked up the gardening gene. I have a bamboo plant and a small cactus from Walmart that I've had for a few years.

I used to have a fair size garden every year. Old age and a broken down body precludes that any more.
Stop using that as an excuse. Start moving. A little bit at a time. I'm not trying come off as an ass, but want you to enjoy life NOW and in the future, not live in the past.

We always grow something good. In fact the only funk we have is our 1000% variable seasons and we try something that doesn't fit the climate for that year.

One thing that always kills it here are potatoes. In fact so easy, skipping this year!

One thing I have not grown here is corn. Gonna do a plot this year and will shoot raccoons on site (sight!)

Our garden only becomes an all night buffet for squirrels and birds. No Matter what I do they get in. Squirrels tunnel from many feet away and pop up in the garden. I was waiting for my apples to get ripe and came home from work and they were all gone.

Stop using that as an excuse. Start moving. A little bit at a time. I'm not trying come off as an ass, but want you to enjoy life NOW and in the future, not live in the past.

We always grow something good. In fact the only funk we have is our 1000% variable seasons and we try something that doesn't fit the climate for that year.

One thing that always kills it here are potatoes. In fact so easy, skipping this year!

One thing I have not grown here is corn. Gonna do a plot this year and will shoot raccoons on site (sight!)
I don't take you wrong, Pablo. All is good and you are right, I need to get off my rear end.

I grew potatoes and corn a couple years. Took up too much space and work.
Always a farmer around here selling them out of a pickup truck in season. Let them shoot the raccoons and do the digging!;)

All of my neighbors have gardens. I have thought about it a few times since we have moved in but I don't have the time or patience for it.

Our garden only becomes an all night buffet for squirrels and birds. No Matter what I do they get in. Squirrels tunnel from many feet away and pop up in the garden. I was waiting for my apples to get ripe and came home from work and they were all gone.
I don't know how my neighbor does it with all the squirrels and deer in our backyards. The foxes have contained the rabbit population.

Gardening is my wife's major hobby and passion. She grows; potatoes (numerous varieties), garlic (numerous varieties), tomatoes (numerous varieties), green peppers, hot peppers (jalapeno, habanero, ghost and she did a crop of reapers one year), onions, peas, asparagus, raspberries, strawberries and apples. We have two olive trees, no yield yet they are too young. As mentioned by others the #1 issue is wildlife, it is a constant struggle; squirrels, raccoons, birds, we can control the deer but the smaller animals are tough, there are cages and fencing everywhere. The other half of her hobby is the non-edible garden part, the flowers, plants, bulbs etc. It is an enormous effort on her part and full credit to her.

I don't take you wrong, Pablo. All is good and you are right, I need to get off my rear end.

I grew potatoes and corn a couple years. Took up too much space and work.
Always a farmer around here selling them out of a pickup truck in season. Let them shoot the raccoons and do the digging!;)
My mom says that about taters. I don't think they take much room at all, especially the amount of spuds we get. Problem really is I can only eat so many potatoes!

Corn on the other hand, yeah seems like it hogs space, one and done. And the very tasty good local corn during a warm year selling for $1 for two absolute candy ears is kinda insane to grow.

My garden is usually 6 tomato plants and about the same for peppers. I encourage and nurture a lot of tree seedlings every year that come up wild. Transplant them in the early spring. Got about a dozen to do soon.

This year has been a boon for yard dirt work. Except for about three weeks the ground has been workable. I've been digging sod out making a drainage channel for the back yard. It's about 100 foot or longer now. Using the sod to fill in low spots.

Put in over 70 foot of surface drain tile too.

My favorite thing to grow is cantaloupe which is my favorite fruit. We have also grown watermelons, tomatoes, okra, pumpkins, lettuce, cabbage, cilantro, thyme, parsley, squash, potatoes, cucumbers and I’m sure I’m missing a few things too. Me and my sister and dad used to garden together all the time. Now the deer population is so heavy in this area we probably wouldn’t have any luck.

Been growing vegetables for 50 years. Current garden is 50' x 50' wrapped in an 8' deer fence with chicken wire added on the bottom 1.5' and underground another 1.5' to block groundhogs and rabbits. Full sun and heavily mulched with grass clippings.

Crops this year will include garlic (450), onions (360), tomatoes (24), sweet & hot peppers (18), corn (84), broccoli (12), cauliflower (12), eggplant (6), plus 5-10' rows each of potatoes, beans, beets, asparagus, snap peas, cucumbers, basil, and oregano, all organically grown.

I can salsa, tomato sauce, hot pepper sauce, pickles, and peppers - the rest are frozen or stored in the cellar.

Currently only planted with garlic.

TS2_7052bs65.jpg

TS4_9082ab6.5.jpg

Back