Chevy HHR Stuck Vavle

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to hear that. my very limited experience is at least 3 days at the machine shop for the head work. probably at least 4-8 hours of labor? if it were me anyway taking my time. that is, if the pistons are damaged, then who knows on a long block repair.

Last edited:
Update: Dealership says bent valve now. Best guess bad fuel or water in fuel caused injector to go lean. Then a bit of carbon broke off and got lodged in valve seat.

This just doesn't not smell right anymore it absolutely pongs. Bad injector, chunks of carbon breaking off, bent valves, burnt valves on a 69K 2009 engine? This doesn't add up right.
Are they going to change the injector?

IMHO it sounds like warranty fraud on their part. You will never be able to prove it but it will stay with this cars CarFax forever.

It does sound pretty wacky.

Maybe you had a bad valve spring and the valve floated at high revs? The springs should all be created equal, but as with all things some are more equal than others. If that's what happened you should bend another valve the next time you rev it up but good.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This just doesn't not smell right anymore it absolutely pongs. Bad injector, chunks of carbon breaking off, bent valves, burnt valves on a 69K 2009 engine? This doesn't add up right.

IMHO it sounds like warranty fraud on their part. You will never be able to prove it but it will stay with this cars CarFax forever.

They say injector fine. Not clogged now. I wonder when this happened. I did a seafoam cleaning with the spray can with engine running. Who knows, I will never trust the car again. May never know the truth.

Last edited:
Quote:
They say injector fine. Not clogged now

I figured as much. If you get an injector that was going that lean the ecm will drive them all much richer as it only has one air/fuel monitor (in this case) and would try to compensate.
You would get a CEL no doubt about it.

I can tell you from seeing injectors every day that if you have one this bad to cause something like this it wouldn't "fix" itself with Seafoam or other treatment.

I have no idea whats going on with this engine but it doesn't add up right.
This is like the guy laying dead with 13 bullets in the back and the sheriff says "worst case of suicide i ever saw".

I think this happened:

1.) Cheap gas and ethanol, maybe water in gas.
2.) 50k driving like this, engine carbons up.
3.) I try to clean and injector clogs, carbon breaks off. Gets caught in valve.

Future:
1.) no cheap gas no gas treatments.
2.) Once a year induction cleaning at dealership.

I don't think this would have happened with a 6 cly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Originally Posted By: Trav

They say injector fine. Not clogged now. I wonder when this happened. I did a seafoam cleaning with the spray can with engine running. Who knows, I will never trust the car again. May never know the truth.

Did you do the seafoaming before this started? It is possible that it ingested too much in that cylinder and bent the valve.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Did you do the seafoaming before this started? It is possible that it ingested too much in that cylinder and bent the valve.

No doubt possible... In the future run quality gas and forget the fixes in a can, I never use the stuff...

If the valve is really bent then it's a freak failure, you may have a weak component like a bad spring or such.

But I'm really amazed at 60k miles and such a serious failure. That is truly bizarre. These are not usually so fragile.

If anyone here saw what my son's friend does with his Cobalt SS regularly bouncing off a raised rev limiter they would know these don't blow too easily!

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
When you say Seafoam cleaning with the spray can, what Seafoam product was it? If it was Deep Creep thats Seafoam's WD40 equivalent. Almost entirely lubricant. While spraying that down the intake or through the brake line wont kill your engine, wont solve anything either. Because the injectors are best cleaned through the fuel, not the air. Try a fuel system cleaner with the additive PEA in your gas, will get better results.

Quote:
If the valve is really bent then it's a freak failure, you may have a weak component like a bad spring or such.

I cant figure out how the valve would get bent without something hitting it.
You right this would have to be some real freak failure.

Got it back after 7 days, drove it one mile down road and trans failure! Stuck solenoid, trans bang shifts. Getting a rental and when its "fixed" this time its gone!

I've seen this sort of pattern failure before. Have you been mean to a Jew lately? God doesn't like that sort of thing and will get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back