Chevy Cruze eco 6sp manual vs. VW Golf TDI auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryland
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Any updates?

Yes, so they didn't have the car on monday because it was at a different dealer then they thought so it took longer to get it. Now they have the car but I had to cancel my loan because its for the wrong amount and now and I have to get a new one which takes time with signing and other paper work, so now I'm going to buy the car on Saturday.

The old car was a 2012 and so is this new one but this one has a few more options like power driver seat and rear parking sensors so it costs more. I did see the old car that was smashed in so they weren't lieing about that. I need to look at the window sticker of this one before I buy because when I looked at the new car it had some sort of a cargo net in the trunk that I'm sure cost at least $50 under their options and I don't want to spend extra money on something stupid like that.

Also to anyone that has a Cruze Eco, the trunk of this one has no spare tire so in its place is just a big open hole?? It gives you more storage room but there is no cover for it so the trunk floor isn't flat it has a big gap in it. Is that normal or does a cover normaly come with it?

It would come with the cover. About that cargo net, trust me you want it. I thought it was dumb at first too, but it has a pocket in it, like a pouch that makes it a very very good place to put things like oil jugs or bottles, bottles of wine, grocery bags, or things that would otherwise slide all over the place. I was amazed! Seriously though, it is little, but something nice to have.

Well I figured they weren't lying about the other car being smashed, feelsbadman.jpg, but at least they were able to find you another. About the loan sucks too, that is a lot of paperwork.

No trunk hole cover in mine. It's an option I didn't get. The trunk hole works very well for corralling things like the wine bottles and milk gallons.

Is your car going to still be a stick-shift?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
No trunk hole cover in mine. It's an option I didn't get. The trunk hole works very well for corralling things like the wine bottles and milk gallons.

Is your car going to still be a stick-shift?

Sure is! I woulden't buy this car in auto, to me the MPG hit would be too much to justify this car against others. The car is actually a lot nicer looking than the one I was going to buy. This one is black with titanium interior. The other was silver with black interior. The thing I like more about the titanium (gray) interior is the dash panel is a plether material instead of the speaker cloth thats on the dash of the black interior.

I know lots of VW fans that don't even sit in the chevy. No offense but facts. You would not refuse a car because it is more expensive and more to maintain unless that is the top agenda. VW's have never been about being an econo-box. Apple and oranges.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
I know lots of VW fans that don't even sit in the chevi. No offense but facts. You would not refuse a car because it is more expensive and more to maintain unless that is the top agenda. VW's have never been about being an econo-box. Apple and oranges.

I'm sorry but VW's never about being an econo-box?? Maybe you havent heard of this car they produced called the Beetle? You know the car that put VW on the map? The former top selling car in history? The name translates to people's car?? How have they not been about econo boxes again?

Last edited:
Tell one of the owners that your car is an econo-box see what you get.
laugh.gif

It's wonderful that people are so passionate about their car. VW is lucky to have you.

I haven't heard much good about them lately. Too many unhappy owners squealing all over the Net about them.

I am going to be in the market for a smaller economy oriented car for my Wife who drives the pants off a car. I'm sorry, but it won't be a VW. And it definitely won't be a diesel!

With the plethora of 40 mpg and up econoboxes to choose from I'm sure it will be interesting!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
VW is lucky to have you.

No need to get personal. I am just telling the general attitude of VW owners. I have had a few years back one in 70's and one in 80's but none lately. VW's have been considered enthus cars for years. It is unfortunate that some have had reliability problems. But then again Cruz is also fairly new car and has no record. I wouldn't bet on Chevy in reliability either.

VW is just doing fine this year.

Yes, VW sales are increasing. But it seems they're making the cars worse/cheaper so they can sell more units. I don't understand why they would want to be the top-selling brand. GM and now Toyota had a tough time at the top.

I think we've all read reviews pointing out how the new Jetta is worse than the one it replaced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
VW is lucky to have you.

No need to get personal. I am just telling the general attitude of VW owners. I have had a few years back one in 70's and one in 80's but none lately. VW's have been considered enthus cars for years. It is unfortunate that some have had reliability problems. But then again Cruz is also fairly new car and has no record. I wouldn't bet on Chevy in reliability either.

Been on sale overseas since 2009. We got the same car, just with American bumpers/lights and left hand drive. No major problems reported, and no recalls that I know about.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
VW is just doing fine this year.

I think we've all read reviews pointing out how the new Jetta is worse than the one it replaced.

It seems that way in the case of new Jetta. I personally don't like it. I think they have been repositioning themselves in price point and have cut some corners in the new line up.
I wonder how the new Passat is going to turn out.
In europe VW has always been a good seller though.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
TDI's resale value alone should be a good enough reason.

Really. The camry should be the ultimate choice for all then, wouldn't you agree? Bleeeechhhhh. I agree with whoever said it before, buying a car instead of another car beacause you intend to sell it later makes no sense.

Absolutely agreed. Buy what you want to drive.

Just like the dorks who buy a car and then don't drive it because you can't put too many miles on it!

Regarding not wanting to bet on the new Chevy's, I feel exactly the opposite. Everything I see indicates that GM is really sweating the details and producing a really cool small car.

The cool thing is there are so many choices. And not all of them are service-heavy high maintenance monsters.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: hpichris
TDI's resale value alone should be a good enough reason.

Really. The camry should be the ultimate choice for all then, wouldn't you agree? Bleeeechhhhh. I agree with whoever said it before, buying a car instead of another car beacause you intend to sell it later makes no sense.

For some people they get rid of cars quickly on whims or warranty runs out. So it is important. It is still much easier to sell a 5+ yr old Toyota/Honda and somewhat VW vs a domestic vehicle. Not saying they are better cars but much easier sell at excellent prices.

It actually makes a lot of sense financially. Emotionally no.

Top 10 in resale according to this source:
RANKING

Resale value is one factor in "total cost of ownership".
Good resale means good demand and popularity, lower lease payments and easier resale. Banks are easier to loan on them too due to risk consideration in case of repossession. However you may pay less property tax on it during ownership.

I never buy a car based on high resale alone but I wouldn't buy a car that has known dismal resale. It would be a trouble car to own in my book.

If you keep a car for 10+ years, resale has no meaning at all.
I'd rather enjoy the car I buy, then buy something and be afraid to put any miles on it because it may affect resale value.

I have quite a lot of people at work that think I'm crazy for taking 2,000 mile trips in my Mazda. They say that they rent, so that their car doesn't accumulate too many miles.

Best resale by class:
rank by class

Worse resale:
Worst resale

Cars are the second most costly item after our house.
High deprecition could be considered in line with high fuel economy cost, high maitenance cost as well as high insurance cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back