Chevron Supreme 10W-30 in a GM 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I just bought me a new 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with the 5.3. I have only ran the Chevron through my GMC Z71 once. My question is, if anyone on this forum runs it through there 5.3 and how does it do. I looked in the UOA section and haven't found any 5.3 UOA. Any help would be appreciated.

Try Chevy 5.3 as a search and GM 5.3 as a search
as I see 2 or three test results with Chevron , Havoline and VSOT but most are 5W-30.
I do agree with KJA on Havoline but only when they are priced the same. I don't see that in Northern Cal. Here is Chevron's headquarters and Chevron is its price leader in California.

I want to be able to buy Chevron
frown.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

The UOA's produced with Chevron 10/30 in the past were outstanding. I am down to my last few qts. from a large supply I once had. For shorter intervals it did very well. I wish Costco still carried it but they don't.I can say the Schaffers 10/30 has worked every bit as well and lasts longer. This is not a plug for Schaffer I just find Chevron hard to get now unless you go to a distributor.
smile.gif

Out here in Clovis, Costco still has Chevron and Mobil 1. Kragen has both Chevron and Havoline. I will say this though: I have never heard of Schaeffer's before joining this forum.
dunno.gif

[ January 19, 2006, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: GoldenRod ]

I have Chevron 5W30 SL in my Matrix right now...I think I bought the last 7 bottles in New England at a Walmart in Manchester NH. They still have some 10W40 but I have no need for that.

Coming up on 3000 miles...was thinking of changing out at 4K but may push it out to 5K. Still have 3qts left..may use that and a quart of Havoline SL that I have but will probably skip it this change until I see how the UOA comes back. Just got some Pennz Plat for that ridiculous prize they have at Pep Boys...either that or Syntec Blend or Kendall GT-1 Blend.....too many decisions lol

So far the Chevron has been pretty decent...I have noticed that my mpg has gone up ever so slightly as opposed to when I had GC last OIC. I think it would be just fine in your 5.3. Seemed to have quieted down my noisy valve train a bit also.

Goose
patriot.gif

GMC,

I put 100k miles on my 2000 Silverado with the 5300. That is about the only thing GM has going today, the 5.3L engine. It is virtually bulletproof and is a powerhouse and has the best fuel economy of any small block V8 out there.

I used Valvoline 5W30 the whole time in mine, with either an AC-Delco or PureONE filter. I changed it every 3-4,000 miles.

I sold my truck and did the following to it during the 100k miles-

Change oil and filter
Change air filter 3-4 times
Fuel Filter 3-4 times
Had the transmission fluid and filter changed once
Flushed coolant at 70,000 miles (should have done it at 2,000; get that Dexcool OUT NOW!)

I think that's it, but...

There were several things that were coming up for service or needed to be fixed soon-

Spark plugs (8 x $6 each, plus your's or mech's labor)
Another Trans Fluid service
Rear end fluid
Fuel filter
Belt
Fuel pump/sending unit
Horn was shorted out
Odometer/trip meter didn't work good
Will need it's first brake job about 120,000 miles ($450-500)
One of the ABS sensors/wheel bearing assemblies was going bad, causing the ABS and Brake light to come on in the dash
A bulb or two behind the radio/HVAC controls was out
Probably needed all exterior bulbs replaced except headlights
Brake Fluid needed to be flushed with brake service
PS Fluid needed to be flushed/sucked out

Some of that was maintenance I should have done, but the major costs are stuff that was just falling apart.

Sounds like it was falling apart, but I assure you it rode and drove like Day 1, and was a great vehicle.

thooks
Member # 10394

posted 18 January, 2006 21:03
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GMC,

I put 100k miles on my 2000 Silverado with the 5300. That is about the only thing GM has going today, the 5.3L engine. It is virtually bulletproof and is a powerhouse and has the best fuel economy of any small block V8 out there.

I used Valvoline 5W30 the whole time in mine, with either an AC-Delco or PureONE filter. I changed it every 3-4,000 miles.

I sold my truck and did the following to it during the 100k miles-

Change oil and filter
Change air filter 3-4 times
Fuel Filter 3-4 times
Had the transmission fluid and filter changed once
Flushed coolant at 70,000 miles (should have done it at 2,000; get that Dexcool OUT NOW!)

I think that's it, but...

There were several things that were coming up for service or needed to be fixed soon-

Spark plugs (8 x $6 each, plus your's or mech's labor)
Another Trans Fluid service
Rear end fluid
Fuel filter
Belt
Fuel pump/sending unit
Horn was shorted out
Odometer/trip meter didn't work good
Will need it's first brake job about 120,000 miles ($450-500)
One of the ABS sensors/wheel bearing assemblies was going bad, causing the ABS and Brake light to come on in the dash
A bulb or two behind the radio/HVAC controls was out
Probably needed all exterior bulbs replaced except headlights
Brake Fluid needed to be flushed with brake service
PS Fluid needed to be flushed/sucked out

Some of that was maintenance I should have done, but the major costs are stuff that was just falling apart.

Sounds like it was falling apart, but I assure you it rode and drove like Day 1, and was a great vehicle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 99 | From: Fort Payne, AL | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged |

TOO MUCH Maintance and Dex cool is not the problem.

I own the same *** as you thooks. The repair list looks like a carbon copy. Did you have the cold start PISTON SLAP?

thooks
Member # 10394

posted 19 January, 2006 20:23

quote:
TOO MUCH Maintance and Dex cool is not the problem.

What?
Posts: 102 | From: Fort Payne, AL | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged |
From my experance you overkilled on your preventive maintance for chevy truck. And dex-cool does not cause the intake manifold gasket leaks that is GM's design flow sad to say.

Redwing,

I don't think I had the piston slap like all the folks at Pickuptruck.com whined about. Mine did make a slight noise on cold start-up, but I wrote that off as the valve train making noise until oil could get pumped up there.

I did not baby my truck. I fully believe the 2nd owner will get to 200k miles without any engine problems if he changes the oil regularly.

Dave,

I 'overkilled' my preventative maintenance? How? I would have said I didn't do some of it enough (fuel filters, trans fluid change, coolant change).

Whether or not Dexcool was/is the problem for the intake gasket problems is irrelavant for me (well, except for that *** 98 Lumina we had). My 5300 did not have any intake gasket problems.

I have a hard time believing it was GM's poor design of flow, since that engine is without a doubt the most powerful, has the most torque and best fuel economy on the road today. And I'm not talking MFG specs, I'm talking REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE, with my having driven many of the vehicles that would classify in that contest.

I'm with Dave1251 on this one. You wasted a LOT of money on unnecesary maintenance, then have the nerve to say that GM only makes one good engine. Dexcool is not an issue with any engine and will last for 5 years easily.

BTW, there was an issue and recall on the ABS due to rusting of the wheel sensor assembly, GM will repair at no cost.

quote:

I'm with Dave1251 on this one. You wasted a LOT of money on unnecesary maintenance, then have the nerve to say that GM only makes one good engine. Dexcool is not an issue with any engine and will last for 5 years easily.

Dexcool has a tendency to eat through lower intake manifold gaskets on L-32 and L-67 motors. Even the GM dealer was aware of this ongoing problem and related that it happens all the time (My GTP is in the shop getting it replaced under warranty).

Chevron and Havoilne oils are virtually identical. Check their respective sites, and the detailed sheets for each one are carbon copies of each other, including the specs. I assume Chevaco (sounds spanish!)/ Texron (not a good name choice- investors tremble) tweaks the packs as needed, but whichever is available in your neck of the woods is a good choice.

The internet forums never cease to amaze me.

I changed the oil regularly, changed the air and fuel filters about every 20,000 miles, changed the transmission and coolant at FIVE YEARS OLD, and I'm hammered for TOO MUCH MAINTENANCE??

Give me a break. I guess I supposed to go 8,000 mile OCI's, change the air filter and fuel filter at 60k miles and not worry about the transmission fluid and coolant.

Got it.

On my next GM vehicle, I will just drive it and put fuel in it. I won't even change the oil Never.

Cause there won't be one. LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back