Checkout this artical, i dont know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks about right to me
confused.gif
Now there are only a few cars that recommend 10k OCIs. Most have proven to not be at risk doing so
dunno.gif

I don't see them as the ones needing an education. The 3000 mile OCI started back in the 1960's, and has somehow stuck and been imprinted into peoples minds.

The local Sheriff's Dept goes by the built in oil change meter. They sell the cars once they have 100k on them. I have one of them with 167k on it. The engine burns no oil and is mechanically sound. The rest of the car is going to fall into pieces long before the engine.

My father has a Buick Lesabre with over 200k on it. Mostly highway, but has always used dino oil and changes when the "change oil" light comes on which seems to be every 6-7k.

I have an 03' Duramax with 35k on it. I change the oil when the oil life meter gets down to 5%. One of the changes had around 9,500 miles on it. Pulled a sample and sent it into Blackstone and they said everything looked fine.

Dunno. To me every 3,000 is a complete waste of time, money, and the environment.

A buddy has a long time old fashioned service station. The other day we were talking about how people are addicted to oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles. He just loves it (easy money for him) but admits some are fools, like one old fella was in have the oil changed on his 10 yr old Oldsmobile 88. He was up in age and was telling Ray he had very little time left to live (cancer) and was dead in 2 months. Yet he changed the oil on his car!

quote:

Extending the interval beyond the recommended maximum can be penny-wise, but often pound-foolish. "Saving" $40 on a skipped oil change isn't much consolation when you get slapped with a $800 repair down the road caused by sludge buildup inside the engine. The emissions control systems of modern engines can be very sensitive to the buildup of crud -- for example, the crankcase ventilation system.
(Several new cars and trucks are even equipped with onboard electronic oil life monitors that alert the driver when it's time for a change -- which is sometimes well before the scheduled date in the manual.)

Yes, you are right! These people are crazy! Who pays $40.00 for an oil change??? Who in this world would ever think you could get "sludge buildup damage" fixed for as little as $800.00!! Even if there WAS such a thing...and I have never heard of "sludge buildup damage"...would you EVER be able to get it fixed for less than $2000.00! Absolutely nuts! Probably written by some old **** still living back in the 80's! And as far as the electronic oil life monitor telling somebody to change their oils "well before the scheduled "DATE" in the owners manual" who are they kidding? They must be referring to some *** or German car that has a wannabe oil life monitor. Just buy a GM car and go by the oil life monitor...the owners manual tells you to go by the monitor. (that's PERIOD) There IS no date, never will be a DATE and can never be a DATE!

spartus or anyone with a OLM? care to comment on what period of time pass's between the OLM advisory that oil should be changed?

GM's OLM, according to GM's website can indicate an OCI in as few as 3,000 miles, or as long as 10-12,000 miles depending on the data recorded by operating conditions sensed by monitors used by the OLM. One report that I read stated that the average mileage was about 8,500 miles for most driver's OCI using the GM-OLM and conventional engine oil. That is for sure greater than the standard 3months/3K mile OCI favored by some members on here.

Like many other on here, I had a serious knee-jerk reaction to relying on a computer to monitor my OCI. After hours and hours of searching for (and finding) general OLM information, the U.S. Patent Office, and GM's OLM I concluded that, at least in GM's patented OLM, they had done their homework! It sure seems to me that not only can it work, it does work! There are quite a few OLM-OCIs backed up by UOA from several different labs discussed on this site and others places.

Because I was already a seasoned driver when the OEM-OCI went from 2K to 3K miles way back when, you can bet I was skeptical as all he11 about anybody's computer/OLM! To date, even though I have some faith and confidence in the GM-OLM I use 5W-30 Mobil 1 with a six month max OIC, and not the conventional engine oil and one year max recommedation (if the OC light doe not come on) stated by GM. Even then, that has given me about 5,500 miles between OCs with "normal" UOAs from Blackstone Labs in my two GM cars. I'm still working myself up for waiting for the OC light to come on or changing the oil at one year! I managed to break the 3-month/3K mile OCI myth more than 20 years ago, cold turkey, and without the encouragement of this fine website, and never had an oil related failure! So maybe, someday, I'll move up to a nine month or 7-8K mile OCI with UOAs!

Quote:
Mileage is such a subjective benchmark.
Yep.. I believe the OLM's base is in hours of engine on time, and include temps, rpm, etc., rather than a mileage base. The OLM in vehicles that see a lot of idle time, (taxi, police, soccer mom's in the Mickey D drive-thru) compensates.
From GM:
GM Oil Life System & Simplified Maintenance
Frequently Asked Questions
Oil Life Monitoring System
Simplified Maintenance
Oil Life Monitoring System
How does the system work?
The GMOLS system is not a mileage counter. It is actually a computer based software algorithm that determines when to change oil based on engine operating conditions. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change oil. Over the years, millions of test miles have been accumulated to calibrate the system for a variety of vehicles. The system was first introduced in 1988 and is now on more than 18 million GM vehicles.

What makes it so simple?
GM engineers have been studying oil life for decades and they've learned that oil tends to degrade in a predictable pattern. Engine oil forms a coating on the moving parts of the vehicle's engine to protect against friction and heat damage related to combustion. But over time, that protection can be damaged by several factors. High operating temperatures can cause oxidation while cold engine operation introduces contamination to the oil.

Taking many short trips is more harmful to the oil than highway driving, because it tends to introduce moisture when the engine doesn't reach full operating temperature before being shut off. Heavy use like trailer towing or prolonged driving in very hot conditions can lead to a thickening of the oil that prevents it from adequately coating engine parts. GM engineers took this knowledge of operating parameters and oil life and built a mathematical model that is run by the car's powertrain control computer. The Oil Life System monitors engine temperature, combustion events and other parameters to gauge the oil's life.

How do I operate the system?
The GMOLS is very easy to use. First, refer to the vehicle owner's manual for a description of the specific 'change oil' message and instructions for resetting the system. When the engine has been operating the appropriate amount, the 'change oil' message will be illuminated on the instrument panel or driver information center when the vehicle is first started. An oil change should be done within 600 miles from when the message was first displayed. Immediately after the oil has been changed, the system must be reset. After resetting, the 'change oil' display will no longer be displayed after engine start up.

How many miles can I expect to go between oil changes when using this system?
The beauty of the GMOLS is that it will automatically adjust the oil change interval based engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short trip driving in cold a climate may limit the oil change to 3000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GMOLS will indicate an oil change every 5000 to 6000 miles. Additionally, most people maintain consistent driving habits. Therefore, their mileage between oil changes will be consistent. Changes in climate will affect this somewhat.

What happens if I change oil and forget to reset the system?
Since the GMOLS does not actually sense oil condition, it is important that the engine computer knows when an oil change takes place. By enabling the reset (read owner's manual for instructions), it lets the computer know an oil change has taken place. In the event that an oil change is done without resetting the system, the 'change oil' indicator will remain illuminated until the system is reset. The more miles that are driven without the system being reset, the more inaccurate the GMOLS will be. If more than 500 miles have been driven after an oil change without resetting the GMOLS, the oil change interval should be defaulted back to 3000 miles. After the oil has been changed and the system reset, normal use of the system can be resumed.

I change my oil every 3,000 miles, so of what use is this system?
You can continue to change your oil every 3,000 miles if you so choose, but remember to reset the system after changing the oil or you will get a false "change oil" message. Also, remember that the GMOLS will allow you the ability to extend the mileage between changes without harming your engine. This will save you time and money as well as helping to protect the environment by minimizing the amount of used oil. And, if you took your vehicle to your GM Goodwrench dealer they could inspect your vehicle, reset the system and make it easier to have your vehicle properly maintained in the future.

Do I have to use special oil?
The GM Oil Life System calibrates the vehicle's needs based on use of the standard factory-fill mineral-based automotive engine oil that displays the "Starburst" API® Certification Mark. Make sure to read the vehicle's Owner's Manual to select oil with the viscosity and grade that are correct for your engine. Synthetic oils are not required except for the models that came with synthetic oil from the factory.

You've had OLM for years. Why hasn't my dealer told me about it and why all the fuss now?
As you can imagine, when changing from a 35-year-old traditional approach that is marketed by some very large companies, people will resist the change. Until the 2004 model year GMOLS was only available on select vehicles. Since the system was only on select vehicles it's been a little difficult for dealers to fully explain to customers so they stayed with the conservative approach. By putting it on the majority of the portfolio and simplifying the maintenance schedules we believe the benefits to the consumer and environment make this a change worth talking about.

The oil change service station recommends that I change oil every 3000 miles. Why should I not believe them?
The 3000-mile oil change is very conservative approach to maintaining your vehicle. It is based off an oil performance rating that was introduced in 1968. Since then, there have been many advancements made in both engine and oil technology. These advancements, in conjunction with using the GMOLS, allow engine oil drain intervals to be increased without risking harm to your the engine.

What should I do if I suspect my engine is leaking coolant into the oil?
Use of the GMOLS should be suspended until the engine has been repaired and the engine no longer leaks coolant.

I change my own oil, should I reset the system myself?
You can per the vehicle owner's manual, or ask your selling dealer.

Will I damage the car if I don't get the oil changed soon after the light comes on?
As stated in the owner's manual, it is recommended that oil be changed within two fuel tank fill-ups. Owner's manuals for newer vehicles recommend changing oil within 600 miles of the light turning on.

Do I have to check my oil level now that my vehicle is equipped with the GMOLS?
Yes, the system does not sense oil level. As stated in the owner's manual, it is recommended that you check your oil every time you stop for gasoline.

Will I void my warranty if I don't go by the GMOLS?
Complying with the owner's manual recommendations will maintain the warranty.

I had my oil changed recently and now my GMOLS light came on.
If the system was not reset (refer to owner's manual) at the time of oil change, the system can be reset as long as it's been less than 500 miles since the last oil change. If this mileage has been exceeded, change the oil at 3000 miles and reset system.

I prefer to have my oil changed still around 3,500 miles, what should I do?
You can continue to change your oil every 3,500 miles if you so choose, but remember to reset the system after changing the oil or you will get a false "change oil" message. Also, remember that the GMOLS will allow you the ability to extend the mileage between changes without harming your engine. This will save you time and money as well as helping to protect the environment by minimizing the amount of used oil. And, if you took your vehicle to your GM Goodwrench dealer they could inspect your vehicle, reset the system and make it easier to have your vehicle properly maintained in the future.

My oil seems dirty, I have 6,000 miles and no light, do I have a problem?
Discoloration will take place under normal conditions depending on driving conditions. Refer to owner's manual.

Return to top of page

Simplified Maintenance Schedules
What is the potential impact of this new maintenance schedule program on a dealership's profitability/revenues?
By simplifying the owner's responsibility to maintain their vehicle at their GM dealership, this will result in better overall service loyalty, which can have a positive impact on dealership profitability.

Why should a customer follow the Simplified Maintenance schedules, instead of "traditional" maintenance schedules?
The new schedules make it easier and more cost effective for consumers to obtain required maintenance from their GM Goodwrench dealer. They simplify the decision about when to have oil changed because GMOLS notifies the driver. The new schedules also allow customers to have all of their routine maintenance completed in one simple visit, saving them time. By reducing the number of oil changes, consumers may also save money.

Are customers now required to bring their vehicle into a GM dealership for routine maintenance?
No. However, GM Goodwrench dealerships are best equipped to meet GM vehicle owner's needs for comprehensive maintenance, service and GM Parts and the new Simplified Maintenance schedules make it easier than ever to obtain this expertise.

Why should a customer follow Simplified Maintenance schedules, instead of "ala-carte" maintenance?
The new schedules make it easier and more cost effective for consumers to obtain required maintenance from their GM Goodwrench dealer. They simplify a consumer decision about when to have oil changed because GMOLS notifies the consumer. The new schedules also allow customers to have all of their routine maintenance completed in one simple visit, saving them time. By reducing the number of oil changes, consumers may also save money.

Can independents provide the service requirements of Simplified Maintenance?
Customers can choose to have an independent service shop perform their required maintenance. However, it is recommended that these services are performed by GM Goodwrench technicians, who are trained and equipped to meet GM vehicle owner's needs for comprehensive maintenance, service and they use only genuine GM Parts.

From my personal experiences, frequent oil changes, even at 3K, seem to increase the life of your motor's seals, especially the rear seal. I've since increased the interval to around 5 - 7 K with synthetics, but my experiences still say to change often, if not for the engine mechanical itself, but for the seals. I'm sure the changed oil has some more life in it, but does the extra thousand miles or so perserve the seals??

quote:

spartus or anyone with a OLM? care to comment on what period of time pass's between the OLM advisory that oil should be changed?

It depends on the engine, it even depends on different versions of the SAME engine. Here is an example. I have a 1999 Cadillac Northstar, my driving is mostly highway and the OLM tells me to change about every 8500 miles,just like some on this board have reported. However, after 1999 GM put roller cam followers into the 32 valve Northstar so they were able to reprogram the OLM to reflect a maximum of about 12500 miles per change. These numbers both reflect the maximum you would expect if the vehicle is driven under conditions LEAST hard on the oil. This is also determined by the computer...if you drive 2 miles to work each way, or drive when ambient temp is 100 degrees F.....then the maximum OCI will be shortened accordingly. The venerable 5.3 truck engine is another example. Some (in other posts) have reported 8500 mile maximum OCI's on older engines, but on my 2004 (roller cams again I think) I went 1 year and 12,500+ miles before the "Change Oil" message came on the dash.

quote:

Hmmmm, I see your point, I suppose it's all in how you read the question. I assumed most people would change it immediately, but as the lengthy article points out, you could go as long as two fill-ups.

I've been changing the oil in my wife's Pontiac Montana based on the OLM. Actually, based on a combination of the OLM and mileage/time, until recently. Typically it would get to 4500 miles before the OLM read 40%.

She does a fair amount of short drives to/from work, combined with the occasional 50 to 300 mile jaunt

---wileyE
---End

Well, my '96 Chevy Caprice would signal for an oil change between 5500 and 6500 miles. I live in a cold area and drive 12 miles (20 minutes) to work on the Interstate.
When we did a poll on this before, we saw ONE GUY who had a complete soccer mom for a wife. And she lived a mile from school and a mile from where she shopped.... and apparently spent a lot of time idling to keep the AC running or something. Her OLM went off after 2000 miles. That is the best evidence I've ever seen in favor of the OLM. That and the fact that I've NEVER heard of anyone's car messing up because they followed the OLM.

SaturnIonVue wrote:

GM's OLM, according to GM's website can indicate an OCI in as few as 3,000 miles, or as long as 10-12,000 miles depending on the data recorded by operating conditions sensed by monitors used by the OLM.

I have seen cars with this OLM indicate that the oil should be changed as soon as 198 miles (and only days on the oil:: OLM indicated 7% left as he drove home from the track). The use was extreme to say the least, it occured on a race track in Texas in the dead of summer (103dF in the shade).

Now there is the question! This is either the best testament to the OLM alogorithm that I have EVER seen.....................................................................Or he forgot to reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back