Check Amazon Warehouse when buying brakes (and more?)

This is at least the fourth time I've gotten brake parts from Amazon Warehouse and it's worked well every time.

The worst case is I get a shopworn box. The parts are always new, though described as "used". Who buys used brakes? The savvy shopper, I guess.

Got a PAIR of coated premium rotors for my Camry for $35. You can see the condition they arrived in:

IMG_20240327_134219.jpg

The invoice, for those calling shenanigans. I don't even have Prime, but made the $35 free shipping, LOL. PS got the stuff in three days.

Screenshot from 2024-03-27 13-49-23.jpg

Will it work for you always every time? No. Is it worth cruising their website when you're bored? I say yes.

Yea if you're not in a rush its worth the risk. But I have gotten old parts in new boxes before. So its a risk but usually works out.
Most times my guess is someone buys the wrong parts and retruns. I just use RA to verify the right # but most do not know.

I used to check Warehouse Deals frequently, as Amazon used to have killer deals on opened box items, but the past couple years they sell most items for a small percentage off compared to before.

The savings isn't always worth the risk of what you're getting, so make sure you check vs the new price. The people that inspect the items also don't always know what they are looking at and will say they are good. I had oil soaked pads show up that were "like new"- a bottle of trans flush that was taped shut and leaked into and ruined multiple boxes of Christmas presents delivered the same day. That was a mess. People also return knock offs in OEM / name brand packages. Just things to be careful of.

As for oil- used to be killer deals. Now they list them just below new costs and you're back to the risk vs new.

Last edited:
I search the warehouse deals for anything that's heavy and not easily broken, like brake parts. I don't mind a torn up box.

I just ordered lawn mower blades that were 'used' I got 4 new blades in the box made for 2 and all were the right ones..

Just ordered an idler pulley today. Certain common idlers I like to just keep in stock. If it's wrong, I'll just return it.

Unfortunately, AWD is pretty much ALWAYS at least a week for me ever since the great irrational panic four years ago. They often won't even ship it for several days after ordering.

I don't know what's happened. It seems like some parts of the country are back to getting Amazon shipments in a couple days, but not here -- and I'm a Prime member

Last year I got some front Bosch pads for our Mazda for $14. They had obviously been installed but returned. They were full thickness and Bosch labeled, so I don't really know the story. They worked for me.

In 2020 my local mechanic gave me a hard time about brakes on my truck during annual state inspection. I had been watching the pads for 7 years. (Less than 2000 miles a year on the truck.) Whatever. They also said the rotors were pitted. They were, due to sitting and not getting driven, but that's not an inspection requirement. I brought the truck home. Actual delco rotors AND pads for under $60 on amazon "used". Back then their parts lookup system was pretty bad and they got lots of returned items that didn't fit. They seemed to have mostly sorted that out.

Recently if something is a good deal, seems like 50/50 chance that the wrong item shows up in the correct box or someone bought a new one and dishonestly returned their old/broken/worn out one for a refund.

It takes 7-10+ days with Prime here.
Without, 2+ weeks.

I tried them with oil filters. Ordered about 30 filters for some equipment.. took over SIX months to get 2 of them. A few in under 2 weeks, most about a month.

Reactions: D60
Actually I also recently ordered a caliper for an '89 K2500. They had like four in AWD, which I thought odd.

First one was wrong. I returned it and ordered another. Second was wrong. I returned it and ordered a third -- all from AWD -- and it was correct :D

Obviously, this is a job where I'm in no hurry.

It takes 7-10+ days with Prime here.
Without, 2+ weeks.
Yeah my family dropped Prime during "the thing" when they gaslit us that "two day shipping" meant and had always meant two days after it left their warehouse. Like you it was two weeks. Hey, if they treated their employees (subcontractors) properly they wouldn't have problems.

Shop a lot less these days, but still check.

Yeah my family dropped Prime during "the thing" when they gaslit us that "two day shipping" meant and had always meant two days after it left their warehouse. Like you it was two weeks. Hey, if they treated their employees (subcontractors) properly they wouldn't have problems.

Shop a lot less these days, but still check.
Plus if they ship USPS o have a 40 min trip to ho get it since they don't deliver packages. Only Ups and Fedex does

Back