Cheapest place to get an oil analysis kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do an oil analysis but am totally new to this. Where do I get a kit and how do I send it in. Who do you guys use?

Most importantly, how much does it cost??? Thanks, Bushman

Blackstone Labs. There is a link right on the front page here, down at the bottom. The kits are free.

Blackstone: The base kit price is $20. $10 extra for a TAN or TBN. $15 extra for Terry Dyson to give you a professional interpretation.

Oil Analyzers, Inc. is AMSOIL's lab farmed out to Cleveland Labs. You can order from AMSOIL's website or from one of the site sponsors on here.

These are the only two that I have used.

How does Metrotech in Calgary stack up? Not trying to steal business away from anyone, just that there happens to be a lab in my hometown.

Greg

I am sorry, is there an acronym page that I can refer to? I figured out UOA but I am not sure about TAN and TBN

quote:

Originally posted by Horatio:
How does Metrotech in Calgary stack up? Not trying to steal business away from anyone, just that there happens to be a lab in my hometown.

Greg

I've heard that Metrotech is one of the most credible labs in Canada. I'm thinking of giving them a shot also.

See a Schaeffer's Representative. About $8 in a six-pack. Trouble is it doesn't include Potassium and TBN. Still a good value though.

Metrotech for me then, thanks Ron.

Thought it might not be a bad idea to use a lab like Blackstone that people on here are familiar with for help on interpreting results. Does that actually matter?

Also, I second the list of TLA's (three letter acronyms
smile.gif
) if anyone is so inclined.

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by Bushman:
I am sorry, is there an acronym page that I can refer to? I figured out UOA but I am not sure about TAN and TBN

Total Acid Number
Total Base Number

TBN is reserve acid neutralizing power expressed in something like equivalent milligrams of potassium hydroxide per liter. This is from memory so it may be incorrect. TAN would be on the acidic side (generally bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back