Cheap windshield wipers

Same here as over the years I've tried different brands, types, etc. and by far the best I've found is the Trico Force. Far from cheap, but getting 3 solid years out of the last set it was a no brainer to get the same thing. Only reason I replaced them at that point is one had a small tear, maybe 1/2" long at one end and I was close to having it inspected for the year. Those things really impressed me while I was out in a tropical depression that came through our area and the gusts were approaching 60 mph. Tractor trailers on the interstate were struggling to maintain 50 mph speed consistently and those wiper blades didn't miss a beat with that wind/rain beating the car and driving near interstate speeds when possible.
Trico Force seem to get poor reviews on Amazon.

Do I hear a second vote for silicone wiper blades?
Hell yeah. I installed PIAA silicon wipers on my daily driver on 10/16/2016. (I keep an Excel spreadsheet on my vehicle maintenance). I can tell you more than anyone wants to hear about the vehicles I take BITOG care of. Five years ago as of about another 6 weeks or so. Still work quietly and efficiently. Paid $60 for the set and haven't looked back. So, how many $4 to $9 sets have I not wasted the time to install? Not to mention the aggravation of wipers wearing out 2-3-4 times a year and they always start to chatter or streak in the midst of a heavy downpour.
I also use Aquapel on my windshield. Aquapel is Rain-X on steroids; in fact, IMHO, the only people who use Rain-X are those poor souls who have never heard of or tried Aquapel.

For a conventional metal frame blade I sell Trico Exact fits. Been selling them my whole career, they last well and my customers are happy. For beams I sell Trico Flex. No complaints and they are what I put on my cars. We used to sell Bosch Evolutions but ran into supplier issues and had to change

Some things you should not go cheap with... Mayonnaise is one of them lol. Wipers would be the other. IMHO
Ha! I like that.

I’ve always done just fine with OEM inserts. Last used car I bought, one of the first things I did was go back to OEM (‘99 Camry). I must not use mine heavily though, I’ll get 2 or so years out of blades, and nearly that on a gallon of washer fluid.

[Come to think of it, my VW seemed to eat blades, would change once maybe twice a year. Inserts were still cheap though.]

Anybody that seriously trusts Amazon reviews is a bit lost to begin with. I never really bother with reviews for products and try things for myself to see what's what.
I will make two comments here:
1) The avg number of stars rating is misleading. You see avg star rating that seems pretty high and then read the actual reviews and many are poor with one or two stars.
2) I could see fake reviews that give five stars. But not a lot of fake bad reviews.

Bottom line is the read through 5 or 10 actual reviews. Don't trust and avg stars rating.

I will make two comments here:
1) The avg number of stars rating is misleading. You see avg star rating that seems pretty high and then read the actual reviews and many are poor with one or two stars.
2) I could see fake reviews that give five stars. But not a lot of fake bad reviews.

Bottom line is the read through 5 or 10 actual reviews. Don't trust and avg stars rating.
Bottom line is what works for me may not for others and of course I stick with what I find to be spot on. Reviews are just opinions of others, doesn't make it the right/wrong fit. Have tried quite a few different wiper blades over the last 35 yrs and the Trico Force is by far the best performing/longest lasting I've used and I see no reason to bother with anything else. This is one of those topics that if you ask 100 people you will get 200 different answers, lmao.

Ha! I like that.

I’ve always done just fine with OEM inserts. Last used car I bought, one of the first things I did was go back to OEM (‘99 Camry). I must not use mine heavily though, I’ll get 2 or so years out of blades, and nearly that on a gallon of washer fluid.

[Come to think of it, my VW seemed to eat blades, would change once maybe twice a year. Inserts were still cheap though.]
The only problem with inserts is the frame loses tension, new inserts will not work with a worn out frame!!

Check out Project Farm on Youtube. He did a test on them not long ago.

Problem with his test though is that he did not do a age test. Wiper blades will change over time, cheap ones will rot and fall apart quicker.
Expensive ones you might be paying for the name and nothing more.
Silicone you know what you’re getting, silicone.
I use Sil-Blade and PIAA silicone wiper blades. I am happy with each.

I usually buy Michelin or Rain-X from Walmart I’d never pay the price for any wiper at the parts store. Now I get a 10% discount at work on all parts so I get them there I get OEM if I can if not we have Carquest made by Trico which seem to be doing well.

Never experienced really bad blades.
A solid week of constant wiper use (skirting Hurricane Floyd's rain) restored my failing blades. I was surprised.

FYI: I demand a medal for buying the last wiper refills in my county. It should only cost $2.50 to "re-edge".

Handy: Last call to salvage the thin stainless steel reinforcements from a vanishing style of blade. The slim flat-stock is usable.

Was there a reason why you chose to no longer use RainX? I've used them exclusively for several years and found that they last longer than the cheapest ones I was finding at AZ, which is what I used to buy. I'm paying twice as much as the cheapo blades, and getting about or at least twice as much life out of them. Do you find that Trico is better for any reason, or was this just a better buy?
The Tricos seem to be smoother and last just as long, if not longer. Plus they’re a little cheaper (almost 1/2) but you do have to factor in shipping costs. They just work better for me.

Back