Cheap quick struts or new coil spring and strut?

Working on a 1994 Honda Accord with 295k miles(odometer broke) and was wondering how you guys would go about this.
So my budget isn't large, trying to keep costs as low as possible but quality somewhat decent.
Would you replace with quick struts in pairs to spread out spending or just buy quality springs and quality struts and reuse the mounts?

I know there's a lot of posts about quick struts on here, but was wondering if monroe or gabriel have had any improvements recently in terms of quality?

How long are you keeping the car and how much do you drive it? If not a lot I’d just get quick struts.
It's a project car, so I intend to keep it, I don't intend to put a bunch of miles on it though.

Monroe Quick Struts thru Rock Auto with a 5% discount on the rebate forum on BITOG. I get the middle grade when I purchase them -- not the cheapest quick struts or the most expensive.

I’ve had ok luck with both Monroe and Gabriel quick struts on my high mileage Buicks in the past, for the money. The Monroe’s got bouncy at around 30k miles, the jury is still out on the Gabriel’s. Not great, but ok for the price.

On that gen Accord, I'd rebuild them with new, quality struts and new mount bushings and leave the spring alone. It's 99% likely that the springs are fine.
All 4 sides are very bouncy, at least 2 times after pushing and releasing. Chances are these are not OEM springs

What's wrong with the springs? Is the car sagging? I replaced the struts only on a 290,000 mile Sonata and would do it the same again. I've seen where those pre-assembled combos raise the car higher than stock so they ride harsh and look bad.

116Front struts.JPG

What's wrong with the springs? Is the car sagging? I replaced the struts only on a 290,000 mile Sonata and would do it the same again. I've seen where those pre-assembled combos raise the car higher than stock so they ride harsh and look bad.

View attachment 138265
I don't necessarily think it's sagging, but the corners are all pretty bouncy and easy to push down.

I don't necessarily think it's sagging, but the corners are all pretty bouncy and easy to push down.
Springs are supposed to be bouncy. It's the strut that controls bounce which in your case, are shot. If the body doesn't sag, the springs are fine. I'd spend the $50 for a bare KYB strut over a $40 Chinese quick strut any day.

I have no desire to mess with spring compressors, and this sounds like a low buck solution is desired. I’d go quick strut, maybe not the cheapest though.

You can always keep the old strut assemblies and reuse the springs later, if you decide to change your mind. Its ok to occasionally pick the wrong path and lose a few bucks doing something. Every hobby I know of costs money.

I have this type here. Not as fast to use as a Branick, but it works. This type is less likely to slip off the coil rungs than the other type.

ATD-7585.jpg

Back