Cheap quick struts or new coil spring and strut?

Just remember your Honda has a double wishbone suspension....so you really dont have a true MacPherson strut on them. The fronts are easy to change and you do not upset the suspension.

I live in an area with tons of potholes. I tried the KYB quick struts on my corolla - hated them. Sure they’re factory and all, but I doubt the aftermarket ones after 18 years is made on the same plant, same equipment, same line controls as the OE ones.
I switched to Monroe quick struts and it rides SO much better on the terrible roads here.

In addition, if you’re on a tight budget, I’d recommend FCS shocks/struts. I threw them on the back of my Pathfinder (replacing blown factory KYBs). These are cheap, lifetime warranty parts that ride a bit harsh but it’s acceptable for the price and they’ve been running just fine for the past 25k miles.

I live in an area with tons of potholes. I tried the KYB quick struts on my corolla - hated them. Sure they’re factory and all, but I doubt the aftermarket ones after 18 years is made on the same plant, same equipment, same line controls as the OE ones.
I switched to Monroe quick struts and it rides SO much better on the terrible roads here.

In addition, if you’re on a tight budget, I’d recommend FCS shocks/struts. I threw them on the back of my Pathfinder (replacing blown factory KYBs). These are cheap, lifetime warranty parts that ride a bit harsh but it’s acceptable for the price and they’ve been running just fine for the past 25k miles.
Did you get the top-of-the-line Monroe quick struts, middle grade or cheapest ones? Do you remember the model name?
At 107,500 on my 2001 Grand Prix SE, do you all think I'm due for new ones. It rides decent and all for its age, a little hard on potholes and bumps I guess.

Captain obvious here, but the recurring theme in this quick strut thread is that they continue to be hit or miss. The results vary between strut brands AND vehicle brands. If your particular vehicle has many OEM spring options, the results are even more subject to mixed results.

On certain rides and certain budgets, Im tempted to recommend the cheapest quick strut set. Less then 200 for all 4 corners.

Captain obvious here, but the recurring theme in this quick strut thread is that they continue to be hit or miss. The results vary between strut brands AND vehicle brands. If your particular vehicle has many OEM spring options, the results are even more subject to mixed results.
^^^ Bingo^^^

We went with the KYB Excel-Gs without the new springs on our old beater, a 2003 Ford Taurus SES. It worked out great and really restored the old cars ride.
So, I recommend the KYB Excel-Gs.

Doesn't that Taurus have problems with the coil springs? :poop:

Ford now sells Motorcraft quick struts with all OE components. OE strut, OE spring, OE mount, etc. for some cars, including the 2003 Taurus.

Doesn't that Taurus have problems with the coil springs? :poop:

Ford now sells Motorcraft quick struts with all OE components. OE strut, OE spring, OE mount, etc. for some cars, including the 2003 Taurus.
Yes. On that body style the rear springs would often break and puncture a tire. Saw several pop a tire when set down off of a lift or as they were drove out the door from being in the air.

Of course this was after they were already ten plus years old and been through many Midwest winters.

Back