Cheap quick struts or new coil spring and strut?

Not a Monroe fan, they seem too soft. Like KYB for performance/price. Not to turn this into a spring compressor discussion, but I’ve been using the Harbor Freight single action spring compressor (two arms on a hinge) with success. Sometimes a bit awkward to position, but once it’s in the right spot, it does the job. Have used it at least a couple dozen times.

The price for the Monroe quick struts on Rock Auto is awesome! For that price, I'd use them :)

However, KYB quick struts probably are better, though they may or may not be worth the price difference depending on your economics :unsure:

Gabriel has gone down. Most of them are Chinese now :sneaky:

I put KYB on a GM car and it raised up up almost 2 inches, they did not settle so not very good, OTOH I put them on my own Subaru because due to the virus some of the OE parts were not available, I even had to wait 2 months for the KYB. Totally different story, it uses a made in Japan sealed ball bearing on the upper mount, the springs were the same diameter and number of coils as OE and did not jack the car up at all and they have not dropped or shown any signs of degrading in almost 2 years.
Same thing on a Toyota I put them on 6 years ago. On Japanese cars that may use KYB as the OE they are probably fine.

I wouldn't use Monroe or Gabriel on anything I cared about.

Like others have said, the springs are fine, just replace the shocks and call it a day.

Just remember - if you buy a quick strut, the entire assembly is warrantied for life. Pair it with a Firestone lifetime alignment and you'll never pay for it again, but you have to be okay with swapping them out every couple of years.
Hows the warranty process for KYB?

Their warranty documentation paints a picture that wear and tear is not covered?

Been debating this for months as my Buick definately needs front struts. Decided on the Lifetime warranty Autozone quick struts. Originally, I wanted to keep the OEM springs and so forth, but decided by the time I buy everything new, (And rent a spring compressor) I lost enthusiasm. So Quick Strut is is!

A friend had sagging rear end on his sentra, asked him why not replace it, his answer its like buying lowering springs without buying lowering springs...

100000IQ move

Not a Monroe fan, they seem too soft. Like KYB for performance/price. Not to turn this into a spring compressor discussion, but I’ve been using the Harbor Freight single action spring compressor (two arms on a hinge) with success. Sometimes a bit awkward to position, but once it’s in the right spot, it does the job. Have used it at least a couple dozen times.
"Clam-shell"

I put KYB on a GM car and it raised up up almost 2 inches, they did not settle so not very good, OTOH I put them on my own Subaru because due to the virus some of the OE parts were not available, I even had to wait 2 months for the KYB. Totally different story, it uses a made in Japan sealed ball bearing on the upper mount, the springs were the same diameter and number of coils as OE and did not jack the car up at all and they have not dropped or shown any signs of degrading in almost 2 years.
Same thing on a Toyota I put them on 6 years ago. On Japanese cars that may use KYB as the OE they are probably fine.
Wow!! I was going to look on RA for KYB for my 01 Grand Prix SE, but I don't want it raising it as much as 2"!!

All 4 sides are very bouncy, at least 2 times after pushing and releasing. Chances are these are not OEM springs
If the ride height is at specs at all four corners, a good auto parts store can transfer your springs onto new struts if you don't wish to deal with a spring compressor.

In rust belt areas I don't trust old springs. KYB quick struts for me.

5ACF2173-123E-4405-97C2-0B75BB55AAEE.jpeg

Rockauto makes the process fairly easy.
I priced out a replacement setup with KYB struts warranty. Dang they really made it so a replacement strut + all the KYB components assembled costs the same as a KYB quick strut lol

I priced out a replacement setup with KYB struts warranty. Dang they really made it so a replacement strut + all the KYB components assembled costs the same as a KYB quick strut lol
Strut Plus is usually cheaper than Strut/upper insulator/lower insulator/mount/bearing/spring.

Strut Plus is usually cheaper than Strut/upper insulator/lower insulator/mount/bearing/spring.
I'd do a complete refurb with KYB strut replacement if it was more cost effective. But at the same price, its just easier to chuck the old and drop in the new KYB quickstrut set.

for my own cars i use kyb gas-a-just. they Ride harsh, you can feel every pebble on the road, but they handle good and aren't as expensive as Bilstein struts. i have used the loaded struts on other people's cars, but for my cars you can't get loaded struts or they're low quality (Gabriel)

Back