Cheap Plastic Toyota/Lexus Oil Filter Caps

Funny, but not so much. I did two oil changes on Toyotas this past weekend. For relatives. The Valvoline VO-40 with the torn pleat. Then a 2017 Camry. With the engineered plastic. What a pain. The previous change was done at the dealership. Using a Motivx tool I could not budge it with a 24" breaker. Got out the impact, with a 27mm socket, and had at it. I pitched the housing in the trash after. Went to the dealer and bought a Toyota metal replacement. Was in stock. Lubed the o-ring and tightened to 18-20 ft. lbs. They can take it back to the dealer for the next change. If they ask me again, I may just refuse. Killed my whole afternoon and back for an oil change. Live and learn. I think that something is not quite right with the Toyota tech's or is it a design application issue? But I am curious to see what the metal one will be like to remove.
Knock on wood, I have never cracked one to this day. Usually when they are that tight, I use a long floor jack handle to break them loose. Never use an impact to remove.

The claim is that it's less landfill.
Yes, because less metal and less oil accompanies the old media (considering spin-ons usually are not properly drained). Most cartridges are burnable (where that applies), unlike spin-ons.

Also, because spin-ons are disposable short-term commodities, their anti-drain and bypass valves tend to be much more cheaply made than corresponding valves that are integrated into the engine.

I recently did the first oil change on our 5th gen 4Runner which was bought last winter. I got the appropriate MotivX tool, and had no issues removing or installing the oil filter cap, or using the little plastic piece that drains the housing prior to removal. I'd say it was comparable time-wise to an oil change on the previous 3rd gen.

At just over 1k miles, there was some very slight break-in material in the filter housing, and none visible in the oil drained from the pan. So the filter did it's job. I appreciated being able to inspect the filter element without having to cut open a metal filter.

Yes, it has free maintenance for 2 years or 25k miles, but it will never see the dealership again if I can help it. Too many hacks with an impact wrench that get carried away stripping or over-torquing fasteners for the skidplates, etc.

Signed, former master tech at a Toyota Dealer, and various independent shops.

I guess people don’t use a torque wrench anymore.
They don't use common sense, either. The torque to seat these caps is not super-critical. It only needs to be tight enough to fully seat the thing, yet not absurdly tight. That leaves wide enough middle ground that any sensible guess is fine.

I've never had a problem with the plastic cap for my Toyota cartridge filter. My only complaint is with its location, which would be equally bad with a spin-on in that inconvenient spot. The cartridge housing for the 1.8 engines is mounted with its center-line horizontal, so it doesn't need the fussy drain system people complain about on the larger version.

They don't use common sense, either. The torque to seat these caps is not super-critical. It only needs to be tight enough to fully seat the thing, yet not absurdly tight. That leaves wide enough middle ground that any sensible guess is fine.

I've never had a problem with the plastic cap for my Toyota cartridge filter. My only complaint is with its location, which would be equally bad with a spin-on in that inconvenient spot. The cartridge housing for the 1.8 engines is mounted with its center-line horizontal, so it doesn't need the fussy drain system people complain about on the larger version.
They make a kit to replace the whole cartridge system. It allows you to use a spin on filter.

I have never used a torque wrench during a oil change. I snug the drain plug tight with one hand. Never had a leak.

Of course if you have the years of experience to know how much to tighten a fastener by hand, do so. I often do.

But I fixed plenty of over-torque errors on customer vehicles back in the day, to know that frequently the home DIY guy may not have a good grasp on proper tightening torque. In that case having a good torque wrench that is appropriate for the fastener being tightened, and how to properly use that torque wrench, can go a long way to avoiding stripped threads.

Of course if you have the years of experience to know how much to tighten a fastener by hand, do so. I often do.

But I fixed plenty of over-torque errors on customer vehicles back in the day, to know that frequently the home DIY guy may not have a good grasp on proper tightening torque. In that case having a good torque wrench that is appropriate for the fastener being tightened, and how to properly use that torque wrench, can go a long way to avoiding stripped threads.

I agree and it can happen easily if one is not careful, especially with aluminium oil pans.

How silly!
Then you couldn't inspect it for internal defects when new, and couldn't check for failures after use as easily.
Not too concerned about filter defects. What did you do before these cartridge filters ever came out.

Not too concerned about filter defects. What did you do before these cartridge filters ever came out.
Cartridge oil filters came out more than 70 years ago, so I didn't do much before they did.
During the period in which most vehicles I maintained had spin-on filters, obviously I had to accept the risk of hidden defects. Sometimes I dissected them after use.

I have 2 2016 Lexus. An ES350 and an RX350. Bought both used with about 25K on each. Both have a cast aluminum filter cap. They are both OEM too.
I know both were serviced by Lexus until I bought them so they are definitely OEM.

[...] The wrench monkey at the dealership over tightened the **** thing and it cracked when I took it off. Covered in oil the crack was very small and I didn't notice it but it became readily apparent when it pressurized and three quarts of new oil came out in about 20 seconds and the low-pressure light came on.

Needless to say my RX350 and Tundra both now have aluminum Dorman oil cap covers.

Who thought that would be a good idea?
giphy.gif

Glad you posted this ... been thinking of getting the aluminum cap, wasn't sure if it was worth it. This is the third instance I've heard of this happening. Time to find a deal and buy one. Thanks!

Back