Changing oil myself this year. Warranty concerns?

We have a dealership that does lifetime warranty. On their site it states contact them for all details however they did put this.
What is required to maintain the Lifetime Warranty?
There are no additional maintenance steps required. When it is time for regular lube, oil, and filter changes, you will need to have it done at any Matt Bowers dealership or service center.

We have a dealership that does lifetime warranty. On their site it states contact them for all details however they did put this.
What is required to maintain the Lifetime Warranty?
There are no additional maintenance steps required. When it is time for regular lube, oil, and filter changes, you will need to have it done at any Matt Bowers dealership or service center.
That’s assuring lol

I purchased a 19 silverado new back in fall of 19. I have been taking it to the dealer for services since I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. Well ever since Covid they for some reason stopped doing oil changes on the weekends. So in order for me to continue to do this I have to take time off work during the week and drive to the dealer an hour away and get it done. I am more then capable of doing it myself since I do everything else I own myself. If I use the correct oil and keep all receipts and pictures of the mileage I should be good waranty wise right? I don’t recall anything stating I had to return to the dealer for service. Last time I had it done it was $105. My local napa has Mobil 1 on sale all the time and I can do it way cheaper myself.
When my Ram had warranty I asked the dealer how do I go about doing my own service. I have always kept records of my service on every vehicle. They said well do that and keep all the receipts.

Today I use the Fuelly app to keep track of fuel and service. I don't keep receipts anymore because I am out of warranty.

Just my $0.02

As Gene K stated Magnuson-Moss only applies to manufacturers new vehicle warranty. Any extended warranty is a contract between the person whose signature is on the paperwork and the company providing the warranty.

The wording of that contract is key. One dealership local to me provides lifetime powertrain warranties IF you do all the maintenance they recommend(the full BG menu which is basically every fluid every 30k and oil changes every 5k). They have moved to allowing oil changes to be done elsewhere as long as they are documented but all the other maintenance they must do. From what I hear the warranty is good if you follow their rules, so not a scam but they’re definitely making their money back on all those fluid flushes.
Here is the FTC instructions to the business issuing warranty. Regardless of wording the business has to prove that the warranty is void because of the improper oil change or oil used. Not who did it. Read “Tie-In Sales” provision. It discusses service requirements even if written in.

Last edited:
It sounds like the biggest issue here is that you need to schedule this on your work days?

Talk to the service manager. Tell him or her that taking time off from work is not doable.

Now they can either allow you to change your own oil or make arrangements so you won’t be inconvenienced.

It sounds like the biggest issue here is that you need to schedule this on your work days?

Talk to the service manager. Tell him or her that taking time off from work is not doable.

Now they can either allow you to change your own oil or make arrangements so you won’t be inconvenienced.
Yea I hate to be a pain in the ass with them but it pretty much burns a half day just getting a service.

Here is the FTC instructions to the business issuing warranty. Regardless of wording the business has to prove that the warranty is void because of the improper oil change or oil used. Not who did it. Read “Tie-In Sales” provision. It discusses service requirements even if written in.
You are absolutely correct for “warranty” which is the manufacturers warranty. To the best of my knowledge “extended service contracts” do not fall under Magnuson-Moss. They are regulated at the state level, which is why the super shady ones will say not available in X, Y and Z states or when you call for repair approval they want to know is what state the shop is located in.

Admittedly I just skimmed over the articles I’ve linked but it seems to be in line with the way I’ve been explained the differences in manufacturers and extended warranty rules.

You are absolutely correct for “warranty” which is the manufacturers warranty. To the best of my knowledge “extended service contracts” do not fall under Magnuson-Moss. They are regulated at the state level, which is why the super shady ones will say not available in X, Y and Z states or when you call for repair approval they want to know is what state the shop is located in.

Admittedly I just skimmed over the articles I’ve linked but it seems to be in line with the way I’ve been explained the differences in manufacturers and extended warranty rules.

Service contracts are a different issue and is discussed. Warranty are completely separate. New, used wherever they come from or any thing in between. Opinions by you and me assume things not researched.

According to my interpreted reading if service is performed by directed in the warranty it has to be given free of charge.

Just make sure that you keep the receipts for the oil and filter. I have a spread sheet that has the date svc performed, mileage and receipt number, and i scan the receipt. You dont have to scan it you can take a pic just make sure its legible. Any receipt that is printed on thermal paper will fade.
I take pics of the oil, filter, receipt, and odometer and upload it to Dropbox.

Talked to the dealer today and explained. Their service manager said I can do oil changes myself and not void the warranty as long as they are within the oci interval that the vehicle calls for. Keep receipts and write down mileage and dates, dexos oil of any brand and filter. The filter part he told me you can use whatever filter you want but I will give you a heads up he recommended I stick with the OEM filter because that can be their way out of warranty work or atleast cause delay which I have a case of those for my impala already so no biggie. Looks like I’ll be dumping the oil soon in it

Service contracts are a different issue and is discussed. Warranty are completely separate. New, used wherever they come from or any thing in between. Opinions by you and me assume things not researched.
Where you seem to be confused is that this lifetime “warranty” they’re offering is really going to be a service contract. That’s how every one of these types of “warranty” I’ve seen is written up. Sure that’s an assumption but based on dealing with these kinda things in the auto service industry for 15 years.

I do not know what would happen in court when someone breaks the agreement of a service contract but I know at the shop level the company providing the coverage just declines to pay and says that the customer is responsible for all diagnostic or tear down charges to this point because they’re not covering it nor authorizing any further repair. I’ve seen denial for cam phasers due to a leveling kit and bigger tires because the wording was that the vehicle remain stock. I’ve seen denial for not following the warranty companies maintenance schedule, SOMETIMES that can be argued if the manufacturers schedule is different. Most of the time they tell the shop to pound sand they’re not paying because it’s either explained in the paperwork or directions on where online to find their maintenance schedule is in the paperwork.

When I bought my wife's 2019 Hyundai Tucson, I also got a 10 year 100K bumper to bumper warranty. It was a used vehicle with 33K on the clock.

I specifically asked the warranty writer if I can still perform my own maintenance. He said yes as long as I keep all receipts and maintain proper maintenance intervals as per the manual. I also read every word of the contract and it does not say anywhere that I have to have the dealership do maintenance.

Talked to the dealer today and explained. Their service manager said I can do oil changes myself and not void the warranty as long as they are within the oci interval that the vehicle calls for. Keep receipts and write down mileage and dates, dexos oil of any brand and filter. The filter part he told me you can use whatever filter you want but I will give you a heads up he recommended I stick with the OEM filter because that can be their way out of warranty work or atleast cause delay which I have a case of those for my impala already so no biggie. Looks like I’ll be dumping the oil soon in it
How often do you change the oil? 2x year?
Is the Service manager/Dealer providing the service contract or is it independent of the dealer?

New Car Warranty you can do oil changes with reasonable documentation as the Manager stated, service contracts have their own weaselly worded stipulations and many are worthless.

Possibly you should consider buying a GM provided Silver Level extended warranty for drive-train components

- Ken

ps; I also keep ALL the filters and drain gaskets I remove during warranty. Filters go back in the box they came out of and the mileage and dtae of service is written on the flap. Its doesn't take up much space on the basement shelf

Last edited:
Back