Changing oil myself this year. Warranty concerns?

I purchased a 19 silverado new back in fall of 19. I have been taking it to the dealer for services since I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. Well ever since Covid they for some reason stopped doing oil changes on the weekends. So in order for me to continue to do this I have to take time off work during the week and drive to the dealer an hour away and get it done. I am more then capable of doing it myself since I do everything else I own myself. If I use the correct oil and keep all receipts and pictures of the mileage I should be good waranty wise right? I don’t recall anything stating I had to return to the dealer for service. Last time I had it done it was $105. My local napa has Mobil 1 on sale all the time and I can do it way cheaper myself.

Just make sure that you keep the receipts for the oil and filter. I have a spread sheet that has the date svc performed, mileage and receipt number, and i scan the receipt. You dont have to scan it you can take a pic just make sure its legible. Any receipt that is printed on thermal paper will fade.

I would verify with your dealer that doing your own oil changes won’t void that warranty, get it in writing. There’s a Kia dealer that offers something similar, a 200,000 mile powertrain warranty, but you have to have all services done at that dealer. It’s not worth the trouble in my opinion.

Reactions: JC1
The Magnuson-Moss act in the USA allows the DIY to do oil fills. I take a picture of the dashboard mileage and the fluids used.

I don't believe the Magnuson-Moss Act applies to non-manufacturer provided warranties. The aftermarket "lifetime warranty" provided on a vehicle I bought required documented service every 3,000 mi by an ASE Certified Tech and limited lifetime total warranty cost to $5,000.00 not to exceed the value of the vehicle. I would read your provided documentation on the warranty in question.

I don't believe the Magnuson-Moss Act applies to non-manufacturer provided warranties. The aftermarket "lifetime warranty" provided on a vehicle I bought required documented service every 3,000 mi by an ASE Certified Tech and limited lifetime total warranty cost to $5,000.00 not to exceed the value of the vehicle. I would read your provided documentation on the warranty in question.
My 2019 Mazda Miata states you can do oil changes provided you have the mechanical skill. They suggest you let dealer do service.

Read down to oil change.

Last edited:
How do they enforce the ASE certified tech part? Even at a dealership the odds are you’re gonna get a lube tech fresh outta VoTech school. Or in my case I was a Ford senior master technician but all of my ASE had lapsed since Ford no longer recognized their training anymore, so I didn’t take the renewal exams. If they really are serious about that it makes it very difficult for the vehicle owner.

Last edited:
My 2019 Mazda Miata states you can do oil changes provided you have the mechanical skill. They suggest you let dealer do service.

Read down to oil change.
As Gene K stated Magnuson-Moss only applies to manufacturers new vehicle warranty. Any extended warranty is a contract between the person whose signature is on the paperwork and the company providing the warranty.

The wording of that contract is key. One dealership local to me provides lifetime powertrain warranties IF you do all the maintenance they recommend(the full BG menu which is basically every fluid every 30k and oil changes every 5k). They have moved to allowing oil changes to be done elsewhere as long as they are documented but all the other maintenance they must do. From what I hear the warranty is good if you follow their rules, so not a scam but they’re definitely making their money back on all those fluid flushes.

How do they enforce the ASE certified tech part? Even at a dealership the odds are you’re gonna get a lube tech fresh outta VoTech school. Or in my case I was a Ford senior master technician but all of my ASE had lapsed since Ford no longer recognized their training anymore. If they really are serious about that it makes it very difficult for the vehicle owner.

They knew very few owners are going to have documentation that met those conditions. It was designed to avoid paynent. They would only be flexible if the dealership intervened (which they would for good long term customers) and they were concerned about losing the dealerships business to another warranty company. I had a conversation about how the process usually played out with several of the techs who I had a personal relationship with.

They knew very few owners are going to have documentation that met those conditions. It was designed to avoid paynent. They would only be flexible if the dealership intervened (which they would for good long term customers) and they were concerned about losing the dealerships business to another warranty company. I had a conversation about how the process usually played out with several of the techs who I had a personal relationship with.
Sounds like a round a bout way to increase the odds that the warranty repair is done at the selling dealership as well. A call from the service manager of the selling dealership probably gets instant approval. Definitely not out of the question that the same call might be placed if a customer is at a different shop but is traveling or lives 50+ miles away but still a regular buyer.

In my experience that’s best practice anyway. One dealership I was at would not accept any extended warranty that was not through the manufacturer(they also only sold manufacturers extended warranty) because they’d had so many issues with non payment even after receiving approval from the warranty company. Another one I was at sold an aftermarket warranty and lots of them. The service manager had a good amount of sway with the company due to the shear amount of contracts sold by the dealership so often times exceptions could be made in order to get things approved for good customers.

Sounds like a round a bout way to increase the odds that the warranty repair is done at the selling dealership as well. A call from the service manager of the selling dealership probably gets instant approval. Definitely not out of the question that the same call might be placed if a customer is at a different shop but is traveling or lives 50+ miles away but still a regular buyer.

In my experience that’s best practice anyway. One dealership I was at would not accept any extended warranty that was not through the manufacturer(they also only sold manufacturers extended warranty) because they’d had so many issues with non payment even after receiving approval from the warranty company. Another one I was at sold an aftermarket warranty and lots of them. The service manager had a good amount of sway with the company due to the shear amount of contracts sold by the dealership so often times exceptions could be made in order to get things approved for good customers.

That is likely a more coherent explanation than mine. I just thought it was humorous the warranty said 3,000 mi and ASE Techs when the dealership used 5,000 mi stickers and many techs were not ASE. My guess is if someone bought one truck from the dealership 15 years ago (and that's the only interaction they had with him) and it's now at an independent trans shop needing a trans the owner is going to have very little luck getting the warranty company to pay.

Read the fine print before you do it. Somebody on here had, I believe, engine warranty refused because they didn't have the "tires rotated", because "everything" had to be done at the dealer. I wonder how that kluster turned out???

I would verify with your dealer that doing your own oil changes won’t void that warranty, get it in writing. There’s a Kia dealer that offers something similar, a 200,000 mile powertrain warranty, but you have to have all services done at that dealer. It’s not worth the trouble in my opinion.
I'm sure people trying to take advantage of that 200k power train warranty will be a very small percent. Many owners would get rid of the car before it hit 150k because it's a ticking time bomb.

I'm sure people trying to take advantage of that 200k power train warranty will be a very small percent. Many owners would get rid of the car before it hit 150k because it's a ticking time bomb.

Several Kia and Hyundai dealers around here have lifetime aftermarket powertrain warranties. If you read the fine print I've never seen one that doesn't limit the repair to less than the value of the car (ie they have the option to buy rather than repair). What's was a 200,000 mi Kia worth prior to the great semiconductor shortage?

Sorry, I missed that CB13… Only for factory warranty. Agree. I was referring to the OP’s warranty question.

I purchased a 19 silverado new back in fall of 19. I have been taking it to the dealer for services since I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. Well ever since Covid they for some reason stopped doing oil changes on the weekends. So in order for me to continue to do this I have to take time off work during the week and drive to the dealer an hour away and get it done. I am more then capable of doing it myself since I do everything else I own myself. If I use the correct oil and keep all receipts and pictures of the mileage I should be good waranty wise right? I don’t recall anything stating I had to return to the dealer for service. Last time I had it done it was $105. My local napa has Mobil 1 on sale all the time and I can do it way cheaper myself.
Most if not all dealer warranties require the dealer to do ALL off the regular maintenance on the vehicle.
They might let you bring in your own oil to save a bit.

Back