Changing my opinion on CVTs - I kind of like them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The only CVT I've driven is my grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot. It has the 2.0L too and I hate it. I mean HATE it. It's so slow, it can't even get out of its own way.

Nothing to do with CVTs per se. They were banned from Formula One motor racing because they could keep the engine at peak power all the time, and were unfair to drivers with manual transmissions, who had to keep changing gear all the time.

Quote:
I just can't get over the no power, why would Jeep design a car like that?

Fuel economy, I imagine.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Now, if someone could figure out how to make them last 200K miles reliably, I'd be on board!

Subaru. Plenty of online forums have guys with over 200k on theirs.

The Nissan ones are extremely unreliable. The Olds 350 diesel of transmissions.

All of the consumer reviews for the latest nissan products have 2 or 3 CVT replacements.

The only CVT I've driven is my grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot. It has the 2.0L too and I hate it. I mean HATE it. It's so slow, it can't even get out of its own way. I just can't get over the no power, why would Jeep design a car like that?

Jeep didn't. Dodge did. It's a Caliber with a different body.

Originally Posted By: hpb

OP, out of curiosity why did you need to rent a car for that trip?

I wasn't sure of the legality of the studded tires in PA and NJ (Turns out they are legal), we were planning on parking near Times Square and I didn't want to subject the clutch in my car to that and out of the three of us, I am the only one that can drive manual transmission. If I wanted to sleep on the way back ... we'd be sitting at a rest area for a while instead of switching drivers. So I just added one of my friends to the car as a driver in case I wanted to sleep on the way back.

Plus, I felt a lot better in a rental with damage coverage for driving in NYC.

I don't know about reliability, but I test drove a 2015 Corolla with CVT a few weeks ago. This is the newest CVT I've driven, previously it was 2013 Subaru and Nissan test drives. I have not driven any of the latest Honda CVTs.

The Corolla CVT is the best I've driven. I did exactly what I expect a CVT to do - it changed ratios to match the engine RPM to my go-pedal input. Engine RPM stayed steady if my foot was steady. RPM rose near instantly when I pushed down, dropped when I let up. It accelerated nicely at a steady 2,200 RPM. When completely off the go-pedal it did mild engine braking at a steady low RPM to cut fuel.

No idiotic response to inclines like Toyota's regular automatics. The only stupid thing it did was the fake shifts when I put the go-pedal to the floor.

IMO, it improved the performance of the Corolla's old 1.8 engine significantly over the old 4-speed automatic. If it proves reliable then I consider it progress.

I have a 2014 Corolla with the CVT. I like it too. What I DON'T like about it is that is sealed with no easy way to change the fluid and Toyota calls it a "lifetime" fluid, and specifies no change interval. The actual procedure to change it is to drop the pan, and from what I hear, there are a lot of delicate sensors that can be damaged. So far, though, I haven't heard of any problems. but the highest mileage I know of anyone having on it is about 40k, so still too soon to tell. Toyota has been using this CVT in other countries and it has been reliable.

Now, if someone could figure out how to make them last 200K miles reliably, I'd be on board!

All of the consumer reviews for the latest nissan products have 2 or 3 CVT replacements.

The only CVT I've driven is my grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot. It has the 2.0L too and I hate it. I mean HATE it. It's so slow, it can't even get out of its own way. I just can't get over the no power, why would Jeep design a car like that?

I wasn't sure of the legality of the studded tires in PA and NJ (Turns out they are legal), we were planning on parking near Times Square and I didn't want to subject the clutch in my car to that and out of the three of us, I am the only one that can drive manual transmission. If I wanted to sleep on the way back ... we'd be sitting at a rest area for a while instead of switching drivers. So I just added one of my friends to the car as a driver in case I wanted to sleep on the way back.

Not true about the Nissan reliability. Nissan paved the way for CVT's, and they have a lot more out there than anyone. Of course there will be some bad apples. Yes they had issues when they first released the Murano in 03.

I wasn't a fan the first few times I drove one, and then my mom got an 07 Altima 2.5.
I drove that car about 400 mixed miles in one week ,and realized it worked well with the car.

Car has 120k with no issues. They sell over 300,000 Altimas a year. Add the Murano, Maxima, and the rest of the fleet that use CVT's and that adds up to A LOT of CVT's on the rd.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I have a 2014 Corolla with the CVT. I like it too. What I DON'T like about it is that is sealed with no easy way to change the fluid and Toyota calls it a "lifetime" fluid, and specifies no change interval.

Subaru is the same, though I believe it's supposed to be inspected every 30,000 miles or so. The fluid is expensive, and the change procedure somewhat convoluted, so I'm not surprised they try to avoid it.

Besides which, I doubt the transmission fluid in my girlfriend's Buick was changed in the 200,000km it travelled before a bunch of other things failed that were too expensive to be worth fixing.

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: dlayman
I have a 2014 Corolla with the CVT. I like it too. What I DON'T like about it is that is sealed with no easy way to change the fluid and Toyota calls it a "lifetime" fluid, and specifies no change interval.

Subaru is the same, though I believe it's supposed to be inspected every 30,000 miles or so. The fluid is expensive, and the change procedure somewhat convoluted, so I'm not surprised they try to avoid it.

Besides which, I doubt the transmission fluid in my girlfriend's Buick was changed in the 200,000km it travelled before a bunch of other things failed that were too expensive to be worth fixing.

I believe the fluid is sampled and depending on the condition, replaced. I'm not sure the fluid would cause failure - if it gets on the belt, the transmission dies right?

Originally Posted By: Anthony

Not true about the Nissan reliability. Nissan paved the way for CVT's, and they have a lot more out there than anyone. Of course there will be some bad apples. Yes they had issues when they first released the Murano in 03.

I wasn't a fan the first few times I drove one, and then my mom got an 07 Altima 2.5.
I drove that car about 400 mixed miles in one week ,and realized it worked well with the car.

Car has 120k with no issues. They sell over 300,000 Altimas a year. Add the Murano, Maxima, and the rest of the fleet that use CVT's and that adds up to A LOT of CVT's on the rd.

Have the Subaru ones been around long enough to hit 200K? The reviews for CVT Subaru products are a lot different than the CVT ones for Nissan products. Seems a LOT of consumers are having 2 or 3 CVTs replaced ...

Why did Nissan have to extend the warranty to 120k?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I don't know about reliability, but I test drove a 2015 Corolla with CVT a few weeks ago. This is the newest CVT I've driven, previously it was 2013 Subaru and Nissan test drives. I have not driven any of the latest Honda CVTs.

The Corolla CVT is the best I've driven. I did exactly what I expect a CVT to do - it changed ratios to match the engine RPM to my go-pedal input. Engine RPM stayed steady if my foot was steady. RPM rose near instantly when I pushed down, dropped when I let up. It accelerated nicely at a steady 2,200 RPM. When completely off the go-pedal it did mild engine braking at a steady low RPM to cut fuel.

No idiotic response to inclines like Toyota's regular automatics. The only stupid thing it did was the fake shifts when I put the go-pedal to the floor.

IMO, it improved the performance of the Corolla's old 1.8 engine significantly over the old 4-speed automatic. If it proves reliable then I consider it progress.

The nice thing about the 4 speed auto in the Corolla is it has been around forever, and lasts just as long. You can still get the 4 speed auto on the base model.

I don't think its physically sampled in the corolla, but there is some type of sensor that is used to evaluate it. I believe the only way to get actual physical access to the fluid is to drop the pan.

Subaru early on had some problems with the fluid change not being done properly and failure happening soon after, I think that's one reason its not a scheduled maintenance any longer.

The only CVT I've driven is my grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot. It has the 2.0SLOW too and I hate it. I mean HATE it. It's so slow, it can't even get out of its own way. I just can't get over the no power, why would Jeep design a car like that?

Fixed for you.

There is a "cute ute" phase going on, for people that want their vehicle to say "Jeep" on the outside.

Last edited:
Miller88

Nissan extended the Warranties for consumer confidence because CVT's were not being fully accepted at the time. The idea of the transmission not shifting turned some people away.

They haven't been perfect, but they are pretty darn good IMO. The Altima continues to be on Consumer Reports recommended list.

They don't recommend vehicles that get bad reliability ratings.

I'm not sure the fluid would cause failure - if it gets on the belt, the transmission dies right?

Not sure about any other manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure it's the opposite for Subaru's CVT: it uses a metal chain that needs the fluid for lubrication and cooling. Wikipedia claims there's also a thin layer of fluid between chain and pulleys to prevent direct contact that would wear them out, but I don't see any cited source for that.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Miller88

Nissan extended the Warranties for consumer confidence because CVT's were not being fully accepted at the time. The idea of the transmission not shifting turned some people away.

They haven't been perfect, but they are pretty darn good IMO. The Altima continues to be on Consumer Reports recommended list.

They don't recommend vehicles that get bad reliability ratings.

But they do extrapolate reliability ratings out of thin air for cars that are brand new! CR is worthless IMO, you still get to trust them any way you want.

You did make a valid point about Nissan and their Jatco units. They have a ton of them out there, got to give them credit for commitment.

But the overwhelming complaint against them is all about PROGRAMMING, not design. Of course they will never be used in any real high torque apps without some sort of breakthrough, but they work well in most cars biased towards fuel economy...

Originally Posted By: emg
I'm not sure the fluid would cause failure - if it gets on the belt, the transmission dies right?

Not sure about any other manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure it's the opposite for Subaru's CVT: it uses a metal chain that needs the fluid for lubrication and cooling. Wikipedia claims there's also a thin layer of fluid between chain and pulleys to prevent direct contact that would wear them out, but I don't see any cited source for that.

There are no automobile versions that use anything but metal "belts" or chains. No rubber involved except in snowmobiles and ATV's, etc.

Fluid is always used to prevent direct contact between the parts or very rapid wear results...

I'll take an 8 or 9 speed ZF over a CVT any day. My father has one in a 2013 Subaru and I hated driving it for the week that I had it. As usual opinions vary. Time will tell how long it will last, my father keeps his cars a very long time.

I think a cvt would be fantastic in a performance application.
My mom had a Dodge Caliber and I liked the fact that it held the rpm consistent while speed increased.
I'm all for progress so if at some point one can be built that performs I'll buy one.

gf's altima 2.5 needed a new cvt at about 50,000 miles....fwiw

car was used so i have no idea how it was run prior to her buying it

I love the CVT in the Cube. Took time getting used to it. Interestingly, my wife likes it and I can't stand how she drives it. It is constantly varying the rpms with her. For me, the engine just sits at a comfortable RPM an the car accelerates till I get to the speed I want. If I want to get there a little faster, I just push a little harder on the go pedal. Stomped on it once- not bad for a tiny engine pushing a box through the air.

ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back