Changed fluid in my Honda transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Long time lurker and finally decided to make an account. Picked up a 2008 Honda civic last week for a DD with 103k for 2350 out the door. Pays to work at a dealership haha. Noticed a delay in the transmission and was hesitant to use anything other than Dw1 fluid. Due to my work schedule the only time I could make it to a Honda dealer would be on a Monday and I have a bunch of other [censored] to do for the next couple of weeks. So after much research I decided to go with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle. I decided against the Max Life due to not being available anywhere close in the gallon jug. I found 3 1 gallon jugs of Multi Vehicle for 19.99 at the Autozone so I went with it. Plug was extremely tight due to being in a salt belt and never being changed. Finally got it free, drained out black, 0.5 quarts low, with hardly any material on the plug. I did the drain-fill, drain-fill, drain-fill, method with a 15 minute idle and 5 minute highway drive in between. Delay is gone, and in my opinion the shifts are still as smooth. Not better or worse from what I have read on here. Win in my book. Only have a few miles on it but I will be putting more miles on it as I drive more to work so I will report back. I have 3 quarts left so I will probably change it for the last time when I change the oil in about 3,000 miles.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe there was not much gunk on the plug. On my wife's 97 Civic there is always a nice coating on the plug.

I'm using maxlife on her civic.

JC1- surprisingly there wasn't much at all. Just a light metallic film was all. I was expecting the worst as well though since it was a teenager owned car. Other than being about half a quart low and never been changed in 100k miles, it was in good shape in my book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yep, new fluid makes a difference. I would stick with Honda OEM though.

+1

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Factory fill or owners manual call for ATF-Z1 ???

No longer made, no longer sold, no longer supported. Completely replaced and superseded by DW-1.

My 2010 Acura originally came with ATF-Z1 and it has been completely refilled with DW-1 over the years. Still shifts like new.

I wont save $5-10 by running an aftermarket fluid. Honda/Acura OEM fluid for me.

I use Red Line MTF in my Civic wagon with excellent results and a lot of miles gone by.

The spec for my 84 Civic called for 10w-30 engine oil and I tried Mobil 1. It sheared down quickly. The MTF does not and it shifts easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back