Changed facroty fill and louder noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed factory fill with mobile 1 AFE and oem Nissan oil filter On my 2019 Altima. Instantly increased engine noise to a noticeable level. The motor was almost silent before. I've never known this oil to cause that but maybe these Nissan motors like something else? The owners manual said use 0w-20 so I did maybe the factory fill was 5w-30? Or maybe Nissan oem oil is just thicker and or for whatever reason makes engine noise less audible? Just spit balling some ideas. Is there any oil that maybe is well known to help with engine noise I sure miss how it purred.

I noticed a slight increase in noise when I used M1 in my Honda a few years ago (0w20) relative to the dealer fill I had been using for the first few years. Since then, Pennzoil Platinum has been consistently quieter than any others. At least in the frequency range my middle age ears are sensitive to. YMMV

I don't want to turn this into a Mobil 1 is NOISY thread. However, I stopped using Mobil 1 oils(mainly in the lower cST) due to more audible engine sounds in too many engines, not just one.

You hear what you want to hear. Subconsciously we've all heard Mobil 1 is louder so we perceive it as louder at times.

Unless you've done some sort of decibel test in the same environment and mileage you really have no idea.

Originally Posted by JoelB
You hear what you want to hear. Subconsciously we've all heard Mobil 1 is louder so we perceive it as louder at times.

Unless you've done some sort of decibel test in the same environment and mileage you really have no idea.

Agreed. Especially since right after an oil change people are trying to listen for engine noise.

This has been reported over the years, several times in fact in various vehicles. I never noticed a difference, I had good results with Mobil 1.

Having said that, assuming the only change was to Mobil 1 and you used the same brand filter, give it a bit more time. If it bothers you enough try a different brand of oil. Personally I wouldn't let a $15-$25 jug of oil bother me. I'd dump it and move on.

I've never heard that Mobil 1 was louder but did notice it in my altima although it's older than yours. PP works well but shell conventional is the quietest oil I've ever used in it. My wifes 2018 rogue was louder on PP than the factory fill, valovine was next and it runs quiet on that. I'll be using PP in the next week so we shall see at 15k.

I've been letting the dealer do yearly oil/filter changes on our 2017 Rogue Sport w/the oil/filter I supply. 6 months later I do an oil/filter change. Overkill I know especially considering the miles we put on the car but this is what Nissan recommends time vise. First two oil changes were w/Eneos 0w-20. Every time I drove the car the engine just sounded just a little rough and not as quiet as I would have liked. 3rd oil change, again w/Eneos oil, but half 0w-20/5w-30. Much smoother. Conclusion on my part, I'm not a fan of 0w-20 oils especially in this engine which most elsewhere recommends a 5w-30 oil. Life is short and if you're not pleased, I'd change out the AFE w/something else. If you decide to use a 0w-20 as recommended by Nissan, I'd look at Castrol 0w-20. Seems to be a thicker oil (as least the color is most certainly darker than AFE/Pennzoil Platinum if that means anything). This looks to be stellar oil w/an HTHS of 2.75. You can find a lot of discussion on this oil here on BITOG. Enjoy your new Nissan! Be sure to change out the transmission fluid @ 30k mi. (there's also a external cartridge filter besides the strainer in the pan.)

Gotta love this website you are all awesome Ill probably get massacred for admitting this but the oil only had 1k on it but it was 12 months old and went through every season so I just wanted to get something new in there. I think Ill try PP or Castrol next seems many have had good luck with PP on here.

Do they still allow for 5w30 conventional in the Nissans? I'd run pennzoil conventional 5w30 if you want a quiet experience.

We have a 17 Nissan. It gets Supertech or Traveler conventional oil and the cheapest oil filter I can get every 3750 miles per the owners manual.

The manual is a bit confusing for me it covers oil in 3 different sections. From what I could gather its 0w-20 since I have the non turbo engine with 5 3/8 quarts and change it once a year or every 10-12k If I'm reading it right only the turbo version can use 5w-30
frown.gif

Last edited:
used m1 5w30 in my cts and it was as quiet as the redline i used after,and im a musician i here VERY deep.

Originally Posted by ccapital83
Changed factory fill with mobile 1 AFE and oem Nissan oil filter On my 2019 Altima. Instantly increased engine noise to a noticeable level. The motor was almost silent before. I've never known this oil to cause that but maybe these Nissan motors like something else? The owners manual said use 0w-20 so I did maybe the factory fill was 5w-30? Or maybe Nissan oem oil is just thicker and or for whatever reason makes engine noise less audible? Just spit balling some ideas. Is there any oil that maybe is well known to help with engine noise I sure miss how it purred.

Normal thing with M1.
Is it a problem? I use it in my minivan (Mobil1 5W30 EP).

Last edited:
I admit the Mobil 1 AFE did make noise on the first oil change. After several oil changes it became quieter.

How many of you think I'm CRAZY for changing my factory fill at 1k but was just about 12 months in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back