Change or wait or ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The auto salesman said there is no "break in" oil in my engine. He said change as you normally would.

I have 2001 miles on it today and I normally would be thinking about a change within the next 1000-1500 miles. What is the general consensus here on changing the original oil.

Change it.

No telling what is in it from building the engine.

Casting sand, metal shavings, dirt, etc...

I did the first change at 1k miles on the Mazda, followed by a change at 5k miles then continued with the normal drain intervals.

I change mine at 500-1000 miles, then normal.
The car is tough on oil
(2012 Cruze, with 1.4 turbo),
so it gets changed with 25% left on the OLM.

A full synthetic Dexos 1 is used...

Last edited:
It doesn't matter one way or another, change early if it makes you sleep well or change it according to OLM is okay too.

Personally, all my cars had FF until normal OCI and nothing bad happened. The first oil change of my 2000 E430 passed the OLM( MB calls it FSS) by several hundreds miles, the FF was in the engine for more than 13k miles. Other cars had first oil change several hundreds miles before the recommended mileage.

Wait until 2500 miles or change it now if you want to.

I won't be the guy frowning on you for changing the oil at less than 3000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Do you trust your oil filter? It is designed to catch particles large enough to cause significant wear. The rest of the life of the car everyone is fine with that assumption, but for some reason the "break in particles" will wear out your engine, despite the same filter in place.

I believe differently when it comes to diffs, though
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Do you trust your oil filter? It is designed to catch particles large enough to cause significant wear. The rest of the life of the car everyone is fine with that assumption, but for some reason the "break in particles" will wear out your engine, despite the same filter in place.

If this was truly an issue, your vehicle would be getting a break-in filter from the factory.

Seems like people are remembering the manufacturing techniques of the 60-80s when particles from manufacturing were common to find in the first oil change. Like the 3000 mile OCI changing the oil early to remove manufacturing debris on a new engine is a thing of the past. Just go with your normal OCI and forget about it

I will take a different tack to answer this one as most of you know I always insinuate another vehicle made in USA which did not come with an OEM manual.

Change the oil and oil filter at exactly 3502.6 miles even if you need to pull over in peak hour traffic in the city or highway no matter where you are.

See if that makes a difference.

Use the OEM specified grade and preferably with an OEM builder approval.

This means you will need to keep the correct oil, oil filter, oil wrench, oil waste collector and jack in the vehicle at all times to ensure the oil change is done exactly at the mileage stated above.

Last edited:
Quote:
The auto salesman said...
Stop right there! Salesmen sell. So do so-called service advisers. The service manager might know. The top techs might know. A service writer who used to be a top tech might know. Or maybe none of them know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back