Change or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a brand new 2010 CTS with the 3.6 DI engine. Considering that the car had 128 miles when I bought it and now has about 525, should I change the factory fill oil out since it had been sitting for over a year on the dealers lot before I bought it? Car was built March of 2010.

Thanks

It would probably be fine to run to the recommended OCI. We've seen good UOAs on this board where an oil sat for a long time in the crankcase with very few miles.

That being said, me personally being an oil nut, I would change it
laugh.gif

Last edited:
If you change it too early - at least try to get some oil in there with a good amount of moly. I would leave the FF in there for at least 1200mi. I wouod go lonfger but break in really shears the oil and 5w-30 is very shear prone. The oil screen and filter will take out the big and medium bits regardless of what motoman says, and the oil pump re-circulates the complete sump through the filter ~ 300 times per hour.

Last edited:
With a factory engine, leave the oil in longer. At least 1-1,500.

As to the mototune link, umpteen jilliion cars have been broken in perfectly with just normal driving.
Sure, on a rougher engine build than the factory's, a hard break in will accelerate the seating in process.
But the same end result occurs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What ever makes you feel best. Is factory fill a syn oil on that model?

Yes, Mobil1 05W-30
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Interesting. Why? Did the factory put in something besides the M1?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

This. Although it is not always possible to know many factory fills have special break in conditioners in them and the manufacturer designed this into the product so removing that fill early could possibly lead to a shorter engine life.

I'd say leave it in there to at least 2,500 mi or 3000 mi
Quote:

As to the mototune link, umpteen jilliion cars have been broken in perfectly with just normal driving.
Sure, on a rougher engine build than the factory's, a hard break in will accelerate the seating in process.
But the same end result occurs.

mototune info is internet urban legend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
What a fascinating link...his position is SO counterintuitive...thanks!

Haha! I always have a good chuckle when I see someone post that link.

Originally Posted By: NewC6
Picked up a brand new 2010 CTS with the 3.6 DI engine. Considering that the car had 128 miles when I bought it and now has about 525, should I change the factory fill oil out since it had been sitting for over a year on the dealers lot before I bought it? Car was built March of 2010.

Thanks

Let's see the car has done 128 miles in 16 months. While AR is not too cold in the winter I'm sure the dealer started the car for brief time periods to move it. This usually loads the oil with fuel which doesn't get a chance to burn off. Though it is syntetic which is better at combating fuel dilution. Maybe just take it on a few high speed highway runs for an hour or two to heat the oil enough to burn off the possible fuel in it. Then you should be good to go.

I'm in northen NJ, cold long winters. My wife bought in July 2005 a new 2005 Explorer. The Explorer was built in Oct 2004, so it sat thru the winter at the dealer where they started it frequently to move it. The battery had to be jump started to even take it for a test drive. Since it's not synthetic oil I had the dealer change the factory oil out as a condition of the sale. Better safe than sorry.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Make sure you have the updated software for the oil change light thingy. The DI motors were updated since they destroy the oil.

I call B-S on this.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Make sure you have the updated software for the oil change light thingy. The DI motors were updated since they destroy the oil.

I call B-S on this.

It is true.

No GM engines come factory fill with "special break in oil". The Mobil 1 factory fill is the same oil on store shelves.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

I call B-S on this.

It is true.

I agree and I don't go by the OLM anyway. One year or 7500 miles.

I bought a 1995 Trans Am brand new back in January 1996, and the build date on the Trans Am was Sept 94! The car had sat on the lot that long, plus had about 200 test drive miles on it, so I changed the oil the very first day I had the car! I wasn't taking any chances, I don't think that oil would have been in very good shape.

Originally Posted By: NewC6

Thanks

Enjoy your ride. I Have one too. A 2009. The book calls for no more than a year on the oil and my dealer (since the hubbub over the extended OCI's) recommends every six months. So In My opinion, change it to be sure... at least the filter is on top... 27mm socket. Enjoy the beautiful car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back