Change oil BEFORE or AFTER winter storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like everyone said before.
Many motorcycle riders would actually dump this "winter" oil in the spring before going for a 1st ride, but no one could explain why besides mositure accumulation during winter.

However, I am told that a decent run that warms up the engine well will burn off any mosiure that accumulated in the oil during the winter. So I think it is a waste to dump the clean oil that has been sitting in the engine during the winter.

You only speak of moisture accumulation over the winter as being a problem. But, I wonder if the residual oil in the engine that mixes with the new autumn OCI starts up any kind of oil "aging" such as oxidation. I don't know. But I like the idea of having fresh, new oil in my small engines at the start of the season.

Do these acids, etc. that everyone says is in the summer oil really deteriorate seals, etc. over the winter? Some people of low use autos keep the oil in there for several years.

So, I can see both sides of this dilemma as being good...autumn change to keep the engine clean. Spring change to have fresh oil ready to take on all that summer dishes out.

My answer, for me, is that if my oil is near the end of it's OCI, I will do a autumn change. But, in most cases I change my oil a few times during the summer so that by fall, the oil may only be at 1/2 it's OCI, so I just leave it in until spring, assuming the oil has enough additives to handle the acids, etc.....just like the low use car people think it's o.k. to leave the oil in their car for two years.

Run the engine after you put stabil in the fuel tank. That way the stabil is in the fuel line,carb,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back