Change it or leave it a little longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I have a question. I currently have about 9000 mostly highway miles on a fill of G-Oil Black Jug 5W30 (pictured below) with a PureOne filter on my Kia.

screen-shot-2012-07-12-at-4-22-56-pm.png

The oil has been in the car since the beginning of June. I have been commuting for a class that will end in December and I put about 150 miles per day, 4 days a week on the car during this commute, plus about 120-150 miles the rest of the week. I plan on doing a UOA (for science, of course), but not sure if it'd be valuable (other than for my personal benefit) anymore since the stuff is getting clearanced out. Anyways, change it now or change it out in December when class is finished? If I wait, it'll put approximately 3000 more miles on the car. My inkling is to go ahead and change it since I have seen other UOA's with less than stellar high-mileage runs on this oil, but highway miles are generally very easy on this oil as well. I haven't done a UOA in a long time (first and only is here). Car now has 113,000 miles on it. What say you?

By my calculation, you have been putting 750 miles on your car each week for 20 weeks. That would be 15,000 miles. True?
I say change it now and do a UOA.

Last edited:
Highway miles aren't hard on an oil, but 9k is still a long time. I'm not sure if 12k is reachable. Change it now and get the UOA (with TBN + TAN) to see if 12k is reachable next time.

Can no longer edit my post above... I put the oil in in June, but did not start attending the class until the beginning of September, so about 8 weeks at 750 miles per week plus other driving (trip to Nashville in July). The oil now has ~9000 miles on it. I don't have anymore G-Oil to put in, so I will be working in my old stash of QS TorquePower 5W30 and 10W30 I have lying around.

Oops, sorry I missed the first line of your post where you said your had 9k miles on it. I thought the picture of the oil jug was the start of the post. I think 9k is plenty of miles on that combo of oil and filter.

If you are going to extend OCI past 7500 you should do UOAs along the way (with TBN) to see how its doing. This assumes you use the same oil.

I would do a UOA and change the oil. If your TBN is above 2 then next time go a few more thousand.

Your iron was a little high on your UOA with M1. I would not expect it to be better with your current oil.

Last edited:
Since you're asking the question and there's 9k miles on it, just go ahead and change it. Then rest easy at night.
smile.gif

Sorry Rolla, I decided to dump it out. The weather was great to do it. Came out smooth, still a mild brown color and translucent on the dipstick. Probably could have gone longer, but wanted a test to be sure. This is the longest I have gone on an OC. We shall see. UOA will be posted when it arrives.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Please a UOA with a TBN

TBN was ordered as well.
wink.gif

Now, we'll see if I get any hassle from the Post Office as I did with the previous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back