Central AC

I actually got a far better top level Lennox system using the biggest installer around here cheaper than a Bryant system for which I have used before.

My Bryant dealer could not complete in price or equipment. First time ever did I get 6 quotes and it was worth it. Even the warranty was doubled.

Shop around and study up and when you get a quote that doesn't mean it is set in stone.

You are correct however, the OP is in Vancouver.

My house has many picture windows facing south. I’ve lived in this house for 13 years and it is consistently into the low 30’s C (about 85F) on the main floor of my house when I get home from work, even if it’s only mid to upper 20’s outside, which is easily 5 months of the year. Last year we had a couple weeks of mid to high 30’s outside and the main floor of my house was 37C (98F). The biggest problem is the house is well insulated and I just cannot get it to cool off even with open windows and fans. It’s hard on not only us but also my pets. I’ve dealt with it for over a decade and it has been ok but it just seems to be getting worse.

I am not set on Lennox, that’s just what this company deals with. I have another contractor coming this morning to quote, I’m not sure what brands they typically use.

Heat pump is not a great option in my area really because it is way, way more expensive to heat with electricity compared to natural gas. Plus the install is about 50% more than furnace/ac.

Life or death? So you are saying no people lived there before 1940, or whenever AC was invented?
I’m saying, that when the power goes out during hurricanes people die. A few years ago a nursing home had about 10-15 people die from excessive heat during a hurricane power outage.

The law was changed afterwards requiring nursing homes to have a backup generator to power AC.

So the second contractor came, he would like to do the install a slightly different and probably easier way, which is fine by me. He recommends Ducane 16 seer which I’ve never heard of but it looks like they are a sub-brand of Lennox. Same warranty and all that. So he said he’ll send me a quote in 1-2 days.

My son is a master HVAC installer with 25 years experience and he installed a Goodman furnace and A/C unit in his sisters house.
He could have put a number of different brands in, but he chose Goodman.
Now if you knew my Daughter you sure as hell would not install junk.

So the second contractor came, he would like to do the install a slightly different and probably easier way, which is fine by me. He recommends Ducane 16 seer which I’ve never heard of but it looks like they are a sub-brand of Lennox. Same warranty and all that. So he said he’ll send me a quote in 1-2 days.
I have a Ducane furnace. The box looms exactly like the Lennox. It's been a good furnace for me, it replaced a Carrier that the builder installed and that developed a rusty heat exchanger.

I can only think of a few reasons why price would be as high as you were quoted...install of the equipment itself isn't hard, assuming your furnace ducting won't have to be modified much for the inside coil. If the run for pipe is long and/or complicated I would think that would be a game-changer, as well as if the run for your thermostat wiring is long and/or complicated. I assume your existing t-stat wire will need to be replaced although it's possible you have 4+ wires already I suppose.

I can only think of a few reasons why price would be as high as you were quoted...install of the equipment itself isn't hard, assuming your furnace ducting won't have to be modified much for the inside coil. If the run for pipe is long and/or complicated I would think that would be a game-changer, as well as if the run for your thermostat wiring is long and/or complicated. I assume your existing t-stat wire will need to be replaced although it's possible you have 4+ wires already I suppose.

The guy today said the thermostat wire is good to go.

He said the install wasn’t straightforward but it wasn’t too bad either. The main problem is the basement is finished so not much place to run the lines without making a bunch of holes in the drywall. They can follow the furnace exhaust out or punch a hole up into the garage which is right by the furnace closet and go through the garage out the side of the house. He said that would be easier and the electrical panel is on the outside wall of the garage also.

Almost everyone I know said install is the key, and most 1, 2 stage units have a similar design with the same compressors (Copeland?), and they are all good if the installer knows what they are doing and not cutting corners, mismatching stuff, etc.

Those variable / infinity steps unit like Lennox would probably be more comfortable but they are also a lot more complicated, more to go wrong on. And you cannot buy parts on your own to fix like those Carriers / Bryant / Goodman / etc. I had a Bryant furnace went out and I diagnosed it down to the draft inducer fan. Talked to Bryant and it was with warranty, they said they can only send a part to a certified installer to install at my expense. I ended up buying a fan off ebay (open box "new" unit) for like $100 instead of paying $400 to install a warranty replacement.

If it was Lennox I probably would be really worried if I cannot buy parts.

My house has many picture windows facing south. I’ve lived in this house for 13 years and it is consistently into the low 30’s C (about 85F) on the main floor of my house when I get home from work, even if it’s only mid to upper 20’s outside, which is easily 5 months of the year. Last year we had a couple weeks of mid to high 30’s outside and the main floor of my house was 37C (98F). The biggest problem is the house is well insulated and I just cannot get it to cool off even with open windows and fans. It’s hard on not only us but also my pets. I’ve dealt with it for over a decade and it has been ok but it just seems to be getting worse.

I am not set on Lennox, that’s just what this company deals with. I have another contractor coming this morning to quote, I’m not sure what brands they typically use.

Heat pump is not a great option in my area really because it is way, way more expensive to heat with electricity compared to natural gas. Plus the install is about 50% more than furnace/ac.
do you have blinds on these windows ?
On our home if the large picture window and sliding door blinds are left open in the summer the heat coming through is unbelievably hot.
In the winter the whole upper level is heated by the sun during the day , which cause's uncomfortably cold temps downstairs because the furnace won't run

do you have blinds on these windows ?
On our home if the large picture window and sliding door blinds are left open in the summer the heat coming through is unbelievably hot.
In the winter the whole upper level is heated by the sun during the day , which cause's uncomfortably cold temps downstairs because the furnace won't run

Yes to blinds. They help but the place still heats up a lot. We used to have some large trees which provided a lot of shade and helped a ton, but our neighbours complained they were getting too big (they kind of were lol) so we took them out and replaced them with smaller trees which don’t provide even close to the same amount of shade.

Trane prices increase up to 12% in 2022

Trane Price Hikes 2022

Across the board, we are already seeing manufacturers raise the cost of equipment, parts, and supplies prices. Many manufacturers have made these announcements public, with increases ranging anywhere from 3% up to close to 20%

No such thing as a tree getting too big...just my opinion.

When the root structure starts threatening sewer lines and what not and the branches are touching the house, it kind of is. I had an arborist come to trim them back and he said I would be doing that yearly and that didn’t solve the root problem. I don’t know why the builder put that type of tree there.

Because he is a builder, he wants to put a tree where it will look good for as long as the house is for sale. I've never had a tree mess up a sewer pipe, so the thought never crossed my mind....I guess that would be a good reason to take it down.

I have 2 good size trees in my front yard. One of them has a small bench under it and provides shade for 1/2 of the front of my house during the afternoon. I sit on that bench for hours during the summer trying to get up the motivation to do just one more small project most Saturdays. Usually I just sit back and enjoy the squirrels and birds. If that tree ever comes down a for sale sign is going up.

We don't get too many extended hot days (30C+) in Calgary, but we decided to install central AC after living without it for previous 10 years. We went with two Daiken 2.5 ton 13 Seer AC units for our two story/walk out basement house (3500 sq/ft above ground). In 2019, total cost was $6300 for parts and installation, warranty is 12 years parts and compressor and 2 years on labour. Daiken is parent company of Goodman and for extra $200, warranty goes from 10 to 12 years and I thought it was worth it.

Just like OP, our second floor temp can go up to 35-36C by the evening with blinds on, but no tree to shade the house, and it's uncomfortable for sure. With annual forest fire from BC wafting into Alberta during the summer, we can sleep soundly with the windows closed. Upstairs unit runs about 85% of the time and first floor/basement unit runs rarely. Electricity bill is extra $50-60 per month for 2-3 months, but so worth it.

Back