Central AC

Had a quote for central AC install (adding to existing gas furnace forced air) and I have to admit I’m taken back at what they are quoting. I asked a couple neighbours and they said it should be around 4.5-6k. Was quoted three different Lennox units at 8.5k, 10.2k and 11.8k for three ton units of different features and SEER ratings. House is 2800 sq ft and this is a fresh AC install, no existing AC.

I have a second company coming in the morning to quote… Are Lennox units that much more expensive? I’m not sure what brand the second company will recommend.

My coworker had both AC and furnace quoted in November, his house is similar size and it was 11k for both. Those were AirEase units.

Had a quote for central AC install (adding to existing gas furnace forced air) and I have to admit I’m taken back at what they are quoting. I asked a couple neighbours and they said it should be around 4.5-6k. Was quoted three different Lennox units at 8.5k, 10.2k and 11.8k for three ton units of different features and SEER ratings. House is 2800 sq ft and this is a fresh AC install, no existing AC.

I have a second company coming in the morning to quote… Are Lennox units that much more expensive? I’m not sure what brand the second company will recommend.

My coworker had both AC and furnace quoted in November, his house is similar size and it was 11k for both. Those were AirEase units.
Try getting quotes on different brand units. Lennox are high end. There are other brands and models that will serve you well, that are not as expensive. I've seen off brands go as long or longer out here in the desert, where 1 year = 3 years of use most everywhere else. Top brand names don't really guarantee longer performance.

I'm not saying to buy bottom of the barrel. Just stay away from the top names like Trane and Lennox. You'll save a LOT of money. Most every installer and A/C guy I've talked to, all say the same thing. It's the installation that counts far more than the brand of the unit in question, when it comes to trouble free performance.

That's pretty high, yes (you could probably get a furnace and ac combo for that price range), but it really depends on the model line you're being bid. But the ac is the expensive part of the pair so it does make some sense, I think. Our Carrier Infinity furnace and Performance ac (with Infinity controller) was 9-10k 10 or so years ago, if I remember correctly. What really matters is the relative rank of the system within the brand - that is, Lennox Merit (their cheapest units, for price-sensitive folks and builders) vs Signature (their premium product). The moral of the story is to get more quotes, and the folks saying that installer is more important than brand are spot on. I'd rather have an Amana or Goodman installed by a good contractor than a hacked-in Lennox Signature any day.

I paid $6500 for a trane air handler and new outside unit last year.

Your house is a fresh install, so they have to run wiring, conduit, and duct work. The price is probably fair to appropriate considering the extra expense and labor.

Don't get hung up on Lennox. From the owner of a Lennox furnace, they are expensive and their parts are highly priced. Go for Trane, Bryant, Carrier, American Standard etc. Many of those are clones of each other but are better choices.

Don't get hung up on Lennox. From the owner of a Lennox furnace, they are expensive and their parts are highly priced. Go for Trane, Bryant, Carrier, American Standard etc. Many of those are clones of each other but are better choices.
And if you pay big money on a Lennox installed from an authorized Lennox dealer, and the install goes "bad", Lennox corporation will not take your call.

I had a top-end Lennox furnace installed from the largest Lennox dealer in the USA that went bad. Lennox said I had to work it out with the dealer- they offered zero care, concern, or support.

Most every installer and A/C guy I've talked to, all say the same thing. It's the installation that counts far more than the brand of the unit in question, when it comes to trouble free performance.

This right here is the answer. I had a Goodman system put in years ago and it never had an issue over the 10 years I lived there. Great install for a lower-priced system.
I sell split systems and the install is 100% the key.

Assuming they use same ductwork I would think a combo A/C/gas furnace would be the easiest except it would replace your existing furnace. For A/C alone they need to put the air handler somewhere (2 story or one) and compressor outside where none exists,. Additional effort then a straight replacement of existing unit. Prices have really increased, my dual Trane unit was 4500 5 years ago, now at least 8.

I also have a Goodman at one home and a Luxaire at the other. The Goodman was install ed as a replacement 3 years ago by a proffesional AC guy and his brother. Mine is 3 ton now and it was a 2.5 which he said would be undersized. He did a great job and added a disconnect by the new unit and the price was 3.3K. I was very happy. My wife thought it was too much but they spent 2 days on it and has a good warranty on paper. The Luxaire has only had the gas valve and the fan control die in the last 13 years. Luxaire would be my choice but I don't think they are in business anymore.

Yeah HVAC is ridiculously expensive. I just replaced my gas furnace and the AC. Went with Lennox. The AC alone was $7500. Went with the two stage furnace which was more expensive but I have to say it more evenly heats the house. Over 4000sq ft.

Depends where you live. Working A/C is required where I live and landlords MUST maintain the AC in working condition. Life or death without working AC, so not exactly a luxury.
Life or death? So you are saying no people lived there before 1940, or whenever AC was invented?

I got a new furnace and AC unit last year. Quotes were from $5k to $11K for three different places. Duct work already place. $11k didn't want to do the work as I asked to downsize the AC and the price went up to $11K.

Back