using a window AC unit in addition to central AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. Currently have 3 window units in 3 bedrooms to help the central AC. The unit was installed in 2014, no idea on the tonnage. Had 2 people come out to look at it to see if it was low on coolant but they said no. When its over 90F and humid the system just cannot keep up. I think it has something to do with the fact my house has basically zero shade. I love the window units. My electric bill is higher but oh well.

I should really look into a fan for the ceiling/crawl space.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: BJD78
Our 10,000 BTU window unit is probably 10-12 years old so maybe getting a new one would be more efficient.

New window units really aren't more efficient. That might be, but I have noticed that the newer window units I looked at had an energy saving mode on them, where our old Kinmore does not. A long time freind of mine lives a couple miles awy in a similar sized home, his central unit went out a couple of months back and would cost 1200 to repair. He bought 2 new window units and after 2 months he told me that his electric has been about $40.00 less than last year with just central. He does have an attic with R60 insulation where as my house has no attic. He said he might just stay with the window units another year rather than shell out 1200 to have higher bills. I doubt if we could keep our house cool with only window units. I think in our case central ac is best, but just needs a bit of help maybe 20 to 30 days of the summer.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Anyway just wondering if anyone else supplements central AC with window units on hotter day?

I do. Mostly because I want my bedroom cool enough without having to cool the whole house. That and my ductwork doesn't do much for the upstairs A/C since the return on the second floor is at floor level, so it never sucks the hot air back to the air handler.
Exactly, we have 2 bedrooms upstairs and without the window units, the central unit will not quite keep up. fortunately the really hot days are on the downswing her for the most part, humidity is dropping and nights are dropping to about 67 and day highs are now typically in mid 80's to low 90's . Have not ran our window units for a few days, buty from midJune to late July we ran our 2 window units most days. If we were not planning on selling and moving into sr apartments in a few years I would put a insulated door and short wall at top of stairs to keep some of that hot air fom rising upatairs and open it it the winter when we want the heat up there.

Whatever you do, don't setup the window AC inside. Our front counter girl though it would be a great idea to do this. It was pointed at her, while the exhaust blew on myself and the guy I share back counter with. After about 10 minutes she was really mad at us because we turned it off and couldn't fathom why we weren't cool also.

O and the MOC snake oil was NOT my idea at all, don't judge me. I just have to babysit it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That one needs a fin comb...

Actually remembering that day, it needed some extra holes from one of my Glocks or my Mossberg.

That poor girl did not pay attention in physics did she. The heat and cold likely negate itself or efficiency loss there is more heat then cold happening in that AC unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back