Finally cool, new home ac unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
...the AC seems to run forever to only make a dent. According to the last checkup it's working fine and the correct size
That doesn't make sense. Could be several things: duct leak, return leak, dirty evaporator coil, low on refrigerant.

After I replaced all of my ductwork, I inspected my Aunt's system. "They say it's fine. Come once a year." She was getting ripped off too. The blower cage was so dirty it was no longer balanced. The vibration had loosened a seal up that was only sealed with duct tape! There should have been sheet metal screws holding it together. There was about an 1/2" gap x 6'. That adds up to a 36 sqr in. hole right at the blower. She was cooling her attic...near the Tx coast! Further, they never cleaned her evap. core because to do so meant too much work pulling it apart.

Needless to say I set the manager's ear on fire....dirtbag.

I'd suggest you get another opinion....

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
looks like a very good unit at a very reasonable price. I paid $8500 for a 4 ton unit and a high efficiency system 18 months ago. my original Carrier was 22 years old - only one service call in 22 years.

Wow, how much of that is labor and did you do any duct work?

6 years ago I added a 3 ton Carrier 12 SEER to my 4 burner 100K BTU furnace and the installation (only the AC, connecting the refrigerant tubing already there, drain PVC tubing, and wiring), was only charged $2300 for the whole thing.

Took the installer and his help 2 days.

We had a Payne A/C installed in 1998. We have learned to use it very sparingly. Our need for cooling usually runs June-September. In that 122 days it might see 35-45 days of usage. I keep it covered all winter long. It has needed only one repair in that time. Last year it was used 36.5 days. Our highest electric bill was $147.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back