[censored] Onkyo 809 Went Into Amp. Protection Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think

Clipped a couple of times and tries to come back on but won't.

Tried to do a reset and nothing.

Had been acting weird beforehand, by losing picture...reset and that worked. Turned the volume up then that's when it clipped and went out.

Unplugged and took all speakers off (dread hooking 7 speakers back up)

Any clues?

Can't help, but I have to say I lost my love for Onkyo when my home theater system went out, less than 5 years old and while they are fixing some due to a known issue, apparently mine wasn't covered even though it had a similar if not same problem.

Onkyo HT-R590.

I just bought a Yamaha and replaced it.

Won't buy another Onkyo

Its already been back to Onkyo to fix the HDMI board, free of charge. Thinking this will be my last Onkyo product.

Pls, anyone....

I used to fix stereo amps, tv's and guitar amps. Almost always it was blown output transistors or power supply. These days they use modules and protection relays if something goes off. if the power supply and regulators are ok its probably an iffy module.

I used to like Pioneer and got sick of the horrible settings menus and bought a Yamaha ...I like it a lot better.

I have always heard of software glitches and other minor issues on Onkyo. I have always had good luck with Pioneer and Harman (harmon kardon).

Yamaha for home theatre. Check out accessories for less for factory refurbs, Yamaha and Marantz.
Newegg was good on price when I got my Yamaha, came with 2 free JBL bookshelf speakers if purchased with 2. Added a sub, it switches HDMI from cable box to bluray, does all the magic decoding for sound on the fly. Very impressive for less than 300 for the Yamaha and 4 JBL bookshelf.

Last edited:
Are you good with a multimeter? If so check the dc voltage at the speaker relay. Also look for visible signs a resistor overheated or a cap blew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back