Catastrophic engine failure unknown oil,K&N filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, this is not my car so I don't know the interval for certain or the type of oil. The owner states that it was Castro Syntec and that the oil was changed every 3,000 miles. This sample was taken after about 700 miles on the OCI. The filter was a K&N, which I saw. I have a pretty good idea of what happened to cause the failure, which was a con-rod splitting into about 5 pieces. This was a GM 3.5L engine in a late-model truck. The vehicle has about 50,000 on it. The name, exact date and mileage have been blocked for privacy reasons but this is a recent sample with a vehicle mileage just under 50K. P.S. The engine calls for 5W-30 oil.

Any opinions?

Oilsample2.jpg

With Calcium, Phosphorus, and Zinc numbers like that, I don't think it was Castrol Syntec.

Now the question is, what happened? Was the truck abused in some way?

Ouch. That actually hurts to look at! Truck must have been abused horrendously to fail completely at 50,000. I'm kinda suprised lead and copper are that low - with all that debris, I'd expect more bearing damage, unless they are already gone.....

I can tell you one thing that ain't Castrol Syntec. Additive levels are to low to be much of ANYTHING, let alone a synthetic!

If I HAD to guess, I'd say it was bulk Valvoline/NAPA oil of some kind - no moly, no boron, and sodium detergent in the add-pack.

I can't see how lubrication factors into a rod shattering.
IMO, it was either abused, or more likely, typical GM quality control.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

Oh boy, here we go with "typical GM quality control". Get real, GM has some of the highest quality in the industry.

If you can't see how lubrication factors into a rod failure I suggest you read up on the subject.

I'll withhold the result of my investigation until a few more opinions come in.

I'm not going to bash GM here. With that engine, I was going to guess one of the infamous 5 cyl from a Colorado truck, but I guess that's not the case.

Kind of off topic, but shouldn't that be covered under the power train warranty? I have no idea.

I'm curious to find out the exact cause of this failure.

I have seen cases where someone put metal shavings in the oil to vandalize an engine? Close?

Last edited:
Almost any oil should protect enough to prevent catastrophic failure under all but the most severe conditions, so I would guess that someone ran that puppy with very low oil or almost no oil. Maybe something like they sheared off the oil drain plug, or more likely just did an oil change and forgot to put new oil back in. Happens all the time at quicky lube places I bet. They then realize it was low, filled it back up and then ran it some more until failure. Just guessing here.

Originally Posted By: cfromc
Originally Posted By: river_rat

Oh boy, here we go with "typical GM quality control". Get real, GM has some of the highest quality in the industry.

If you can't see how lubrication factors into a rod failure I suggest you read up on the subject.

I'll withhold the result of my investigation until a few more opinions come in.

I have seen more GMs abused and mistreated (including my truck) and last a very long time.

We can't see any trending here. We have no clue of if there were symptoms of failure before hand or it went kaboom
21.gif

Manufacturing defect?
Assembly defect?
Weakest link in an Arcographite life of an engine (note the mileage
56.gif
)

Who knows?
21.gif

Hey Howie Long says Govt. Motors has the best warranty in the business.So... take it to a post office and see if that works warranty wise. Or you could bring it to Howies house. With all that iron wonder what oil it was????

Originally Posted By: coachditka
I'm not going to bash GM here. With that engine, I was going to guess one of the infamous 5 cyl from a Colorado truck, but I guess that's not the case.

Kind of off topic, but shouldn't that be covered under the power train warranty? I have no idea.

I'm curious to find out the exact cause of this failure.

I have seen cases where someone put metal shavings in the oil to vandalize an engine? Close?

You may be correct with your assumption about the vehicle/engine combination....But it does not have the 60/100 PT warranty. It would not have been covered under the warranty anyway based on the factors that I haven't discussed yet.

OK Maybe if a bearing locked up.
You should read up on Consumer Reports. only 49% made average or better reliability for the industry as of 2008.
That's terrible.
But I'm not here to [censored] GM fans off. So I'll keep my opinions to myself from now on in this thread.

I'm no anti-GM person, and I really like the CTS and CTS-V among others, but a company doesn't lose 22 years worth of earnings in 7 months (as it did in 2007-2008, when compared against all of it's earnings from ~1985-2007) and not experience devastating effects to it's products.

If the rod shattered into 5 pieces, then I'm guessing the engine was somehow over-revved, the rod had a catastrophic error in it's construction, or the engine was otherwise in the process of seizing. I imagine that's why the oil is relatively clean...didn't have time to keep running with a problem and dump diluted metals into it (remember that oil analyses don't really show chunks of metal).

I'm not bashing GM, but do you honestly believe that GM has some of the highest quality? Seriously? How many billion did they just receive to keep them from going belly up?

I was a diehard Chevy guy! I drove them, raced them, and swapped Chevy components into my Jeeps. Chevy might as well have been a member of my family. - Then we bought the 2004 Maxx. Leaky windows, blown directional bulbs, wiring issues, full brakes every 12K (like clockwork), blown horn fuses, interior panels (kick panels) falling off, rack and pinion issues(X2), the stupid GM steering clunk! (have to WD40 the shaft every oil change), cracked exhaust (at 36K miles), alternator and a few others. The worst though, is the "intermitent hard/no start" issue. Every once in a while you'll turn the key, and it cranks and kinda sounds like it's trying to fire, but does it for 5-6 seconds and dies. It totally sucks.

I turned to my loyal friend GM for help. Dealt with the dealer and the factory rep for eight months. In a nutshell, they told me they could not reproduce the issues and to go pound sand. I remember that last visit; the dealer ser. manager was there, the tech, the fact. rep and the sales guy. We were talking outside as the tech went to start the car to bring it in. The [censored] thing did it's no start issue right in front of us. Know what I was told? "That's normal". Wow, a new car that cranks 50 times without starting, sounding like a box of marbles, with a TSB that was supposed to fix it, and that's normal?

Then it went to court and I won. It took three years and I had to keep the car and receive a settlement. Some of the members here know what my wife and I went through. At least I received something. Fortunately, I grew up a motorhead and worked as an ASE cert. mechanic while attending college. I was able to correct or find solutions to some of the issues myself (except the int. hard start). It's too bad, because it really is a nice car. Decent power, awesome mileage, and very comfortable. It's just very hard to get over the troubles we have/had and how GM didn't return it's loyalty.

So, the next time someone cries "GM bashing", perhaps they should stop and think that maybe the person who is posting was screwed on a "quality" GM vehicle. GM's quality control is the buyer, and it has been for a while. EVERY manufacturer has quality issues once in a while, but GM really slumped. So did Chrysler. If either of these companies had the highest quality in the industry, they would not be where they are today. It's not bashing, it's a fact!

You know, despite all the hassle, I really do hope that GM get's its act together. It seems like they're moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to buy another one, at least not for a long time. I've moved on to Ford(a family sacrilege!) and have been treated very well.

Sometimes quality issues can be offset by customer service.

I apologize for the big rant! I've seen a couple of "stop GM bashing" posts lately and had to get it out.
Suffice to say, I think that GM is starting to turn it around for the better and I wish them luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back