Castrol vs Valvoline High Mileage Motor Oil - Which One is Better?

Castrol vs Valvoline High Mileage - Which One's Best?

• Total voters
I think a question like this goes back to when we all started driving and started to address engine maintenance.
In my case (I'm over 50), Quaker State and Valvoline were considered cheapy oils compared to Castrol and Mobil 1.

I've used Mobil 1 my entire tenure behind the wheels of whatever I was driving over the years, Castrol was my second choice if the M1 I needed wasn't available at the time. So, that being said I'm going with Castrol.

So irrelevant you have to give your worthless two cents. He asked a legitimate question.
If you can give a cogent and technical response with a substantive determination of which is better then I’m interested. I gave more actual information in my response than you did.

It wasn’t my worthless two cents. I stated the differences are irrelevant, and it’s my opinion that they are.

I’ve used both. Currently have the Valvoline in my Escape. Normally it’s the one I put in here. Castrol has never failed me either it cleaned up my truck engine pretty good so I’d be happy with either one. I think both are good oils. By far my favorite two brands.

Well, if you don’t think that the two oils have irrelevant differences then what would you say?
I don’t care. I don’t take things as seriously as you do. That’s why I don’t have a stroke every time a PF video is posted here and why I’m not a jerk to every new member that asks the same questions. If I had to choose between the two, I’d take the cheapest one. And at Walmart, that’s usually Valvoline.

Last edited:
Used the Maxlife syn-blend (red bottle 5W-30) in my 2004 Hyundai Elantra that was consuming a bit of oil and slowed the consumption. Did nothing for the valve cover gasket leak since that was so old and brittle. But no matter, replaced it and that stopped the leak. Hard to quantify any real performance differences between the 2 other than people's experiences with both. That said, it would come down to price/availability like mentioned.

The cheapest one.
This. Nobody here has test data that would allow one to determine which oil is better. What you'll get is simply personal preference so the question really shouldn't be which is better but rather which you prefer. @kschachn seems to be getting flamed for basically saying the same thing a bit more bluntly, but it's accurate.

Back