Castrol vs Mobil1 commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the commercial where 2 Dodge Challengers are strapped to a dyno and ran for 5 days...until the one with the Mobil1 blows? It would be interesting to know any details of this 'test'. Anybody know?

Yes....Thats why I'm asking.... if anybody knows if anything scientific was factored in.

One quart of Mobil1 was in the entire crankcase.
smile.gif

Maybe someone from Castrol (they are a site sponsor) could provide the details on what was tested, exactly. Obviously the commercial is a renactment/dramatization, but I'm hoping it's based in fact.

Totally fake. Its obvious that what they show is some small pyrotechnics combined with CGI smoke.

Remember, this is the same company whose early advertizing for their first synthetic oil showed a room full of 4-cylinder engines "running without oil" after having been filled with different brands, and only the Castrol engine kept running. That commercial was resoundingly de-bunked as a fake.

Even if the product is great, nonsensical advertizing like that is the one reason I refuse to use any Castrol products anymore.

If you were to take 2 identical cars and put them into identical service situations with the only difference being the oil in question I'd ask you to tell me what the difference would be after 100K miles in these 2 vehicles. Nothing worth noting would be the likely answer. This kind of advertising is only useful to the uninformed viewer and that's reason enough for its existence. Who, in their right mind would run a car like that and what possible relevance does this kind of test have to do with a daily driver, even one that gets thrashed on a regular basis. Most driving is just putting around in traffic going somewhere trying not to get in an accident or getting stopped by a cop. Not glamorous but that's reality.

Consumer reports ran NYC taxis for an extended change period with Mobil 1 and they reported that the inside examination of the motors found them to be clean and free from excessive wear. But a 100,000 mile run between competing oils would be fun to see, but I expect too expensive to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back