Commercial vs Consumer Grade GL-5 gear oils

Interested to know if there are any real world performance differences between something like Mobil 1 75w90 or Delvac 75w90... Or Pennzoil vs Shell Spirax, for example.

It seems one difference is most of the consumer market stuff contains LS additives, whereas the commercial stuff doesn't. Also a lot of the consumer grades are GL4 friendly. I would imagine the commercial stuff is meant more for low speed, very heavy loads? Is it bad to use them in a higher speed application?

My SWAG:

In regular vehicles for 98% of the general population, there will be absolutely zero difference in the end result. I would think that the people at the extremes, such as towing at or above the rated load for extended periods of times are the ones that want to pay more attention to the products that they use.

No understanding the low speed vs high speed side. If something is GL5, it should be able to be used in any GL5 application, pending usage.

Most consumers don't want to think, so the more compatibility in a single product the more of that product they'll sell. Most commercial applications would put in the effort to meet the criteria but to also save money.

Back